PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
I got the European sampler from P&C for $1.00 mainly for the free shipping on entire order!

It came in the mail on Thursday and I been puffing on John Bull, Wow is it good. This is the first English I have

Tried and I’m in love. Looking forward to trying some more in time.
I was a lil nervous based on reviews and some of y’all saying that wife do t like the smell but

My wife had no complaints ( zero on any blend since I started ) I think she is impartial to any smells.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Welcome to the world of Latakia mixtures. 'Tis a good place to be. :wink:

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
<p>I love lat blends. I started with EMP and 965 and now I think I have 20-25 tins I'm smoking out of. Slippery slope...

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I started smoking with some B&M aromatic of dubious origin, like most of us. But the first time I had a bowl of an English blend was when I knew this hobby was going to stick. Any day where I get to smoke GL Pease Westminster or Kramer's Father Dempsey is a good day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I started out with some good premium English blends when I finally discovered them, Dunhill, Nat Sherman, C&D, and quite a few others. So when I ordered four pouch tobaccos from PC on a lark, I was surprised and impressed at how good John Bull was. I expected a sort of codger version of an English blend, but this is nicely proportioned with what tastes like quality tobacco. I am genuinely pleased with it, and I'm glad others have discovered it too. Some discerning English blend smokers might not agree, but I think most would like this blend.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
I like Damn near all English/Balkan mixtures, some better than others. If all I had to smoke was Engine 99, Arango Balkan Supreme and HJ Vintage Syrian, I'd be OK. Although HH ODF is mighty good.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Thanks for all the references of yalls favorites. I’ll def try sum

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Be advised the John Bull is relatively light on the Latakia, compared to many English blends.
Latakia can easily overwhelm a mixture to where the other components get lost.
You may also like heavy lat blends, but don't let John Bull give you a false impression of the lat genre overall.
jay-roger.jpg

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
John Bull is a tasty blend; you may want to explore the latakia blends of Peter Stokkebye. They are bulk so you can buy an ounce or 2 to try with not much financial investment. Proper English and English Oriental Supreme are quite good.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Any day where I get to smoke GL Pease Westminster or Kramer's Father Dempsey is a good day

Two of my favorites. I have to go with Chelsea Morning and Plum Pudding for my can't live without blends

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I too love the latakia blends. My favorite English blend is Ashton Artisan but there are many others that are equal. If you want to go off the deep end try Pirate Kake and/or Da Vinci. I always have a jar open of each. For an amazing flavor and enjoyable room note try Sillem's Black. Finally give Billy Budd a try. Very unique and flavorful with the burley and cigar leaf.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
John Bull pouch was one of the first tobaccos i picked up online , I have it squirrelled away
It will keep ok in the pouch ? Or does it need attention

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I have had pouch tobacco dry out so I toss mine in large jars. Pouch and all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Double down on Father Dempsey. He always accompanies me on a round of golf, and is very supportive.
Billy Budd ain't no English mixture in my book, and there are many fine English Blends from the likes of GL Pease, Std. Tobacco of PA, Seattle Pipe, Kramers, H & H, Wilke and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.