PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vienna1

Lurker
Feb 18, 2018
As an American who now lives in Europe (Austria), I am partial to the English language and reviews in English.
Recently, I went to my local tobacconist, wanting to get a tin of Hearth & Home (Magnum Opus/Heart of Darkness/Black House) or Cornell & Diehl. No luck. I asked for Mac Baren Virginia No.1, He had Mac Baren's, but not what I was looking for. It was as if I was not allowed a choice in tobacco.
Are there any Europeans on this site / members that have bought tobacco in Europe that can recommend English and Balkan hearty (Medium Strength, Full Taste) blends?

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Look for Gordon Pym, Presbyterian, Samuel Gawith Balkan (flake or plug).

You won't find Hearth & Home in EU. Mail order is the only option for H&H.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Vienna, welcome to the forum. You might want to try Mysmokingshop.com who are based in Preston, UK. I can't be certain but I think they will post to Austria.
They have many hundreds of blends from many blenders.
Regards,
Jay.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would compare your situation to being in Japan, surrounded by Waygu beef and you’re searching for a Big Mac. You should have ready access to many great Euro blends that are difficult to impossible to get here in the states. Branch out and try new blends, enjoy the opportunity.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I would say that Germany has the cheapest prices in EU.

Where i normally place an order is at pfeifendepot.de.

If you don't see the tobacco you would like, you can contact them to order it for you.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
A lot of options: Pfeifendepot, Danpipe, Danishpipe store and you can always contact The Pipe Shop in Edinburgh, they are a bunch of really friendly guys who would be happy to sent you some British tobaccos, just give them a call.

Definitely look into HU tobacco and Samuel Gawith if you like Balkan blends but I can also highly recommend MacBarren vintage syrian, also Danpipe has some good English blends. Goodluck!

Reactions: Speyloop

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Well, the good part in the EU is that there is no extra taxes for tobacco in between member countries. So take your pick, ebay.de is a good source, pfeifendepot.de is also a good source I have discovered recently. Austria is not the best place for pipe tobacco, but shipping from Germany can be as quick as a couple of days.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Why the heck you sending him to shop from Danishpipe and UK sites where the prices are way higher compared to Germany?
From blend availability question you should find all EU ones - Sam Gawith, Dunhill, Peterson, MacBarren, Dan Tobacco and etc.
Sites for shopping:

Peterheinrichs.de

annonces.de (will need to persuade them to ship outside Germany)

http://synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/1000.php?i5
also worth it to check ebay.de

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
a couple of others in germany

http://www.pfeifendepot.de/
https://www.tecon-gmbh.de/index.php?language=en&lgcode=1 Estervals pipe house

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
If you are ever in Graz there is a great shop called H Dreirer in West centrum.
http://centerwest.at/?id=139
Sometimes he has Samuel Gawith Lousiana flake which is great perique made only for Eastern EU markets.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
In France there is the 'Amphora Full aroma' (red) found everywhere, light cavendish with aromas of red fruits and hints of orange. An aromatic tobacco very nice not too aro, between blond and brown.
The most requested in France probably!

It's a Dutch tobacco, we have to find it in Austria / Germany / ...

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
It is very hit or miss these days with some shops refusing to send tobacco (especially from the U.K. And Germany). Many of the U.K. Shops don't take MasterCard either because they cannot verify age.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Look into some of the Kolhase & Kopp brands - Robert McConnell, Rattray's, Robert Lewis, James Fox. Lots of great English blends! They also make the Ashton line that McClelland used to make in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.