Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Javan, but I will wait for the $50 traceable 'replica' lighters

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would be just like the rest of my expensive lighters... setting on a shelf because after I put gas in it, it no longer works. You would think that after years of trying... even those that I have had people who sell them put the gas in it for me, they just don't work. I have just begun to think that I always get that one lighter in the bunch that doesn't work. Now, they can just set there and be eyecandy. Bics and Zippos never give me any problems.

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have just begun to think that I always get that one lighter in the bunch that doesn't work.

Nope....

I have yet to see an "expensive" lighter that matches the reliability and convenience of a Zippo or Bic.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

It would be just like the rest of my expensive lighters... setting on a shelf because after I put gas in it, it no longer works. You would think that after years of trying... even those that I have had people who sell them put the gas in it for me, they just don't work. I have just begun to think that I always get that one lighter in the bunch that doesn't work. Now, they can just set there and be eyecandy. Bics and Zippos never give me any problems.

Amen brother.

I have yet to see an "expensive" lighter that matches the reliability and convenience of a Zippo or Bic.

+100

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I almost think it is a design flaw in higher priced pipe lighters. None of them have use a flint to generate the spark but instead rely on some type of electronic spark generating method that routinely fails about the first time you refill it.

The puzzling question for me is I also have several cigar lighters that cost over $30 and they always work the way they are supposed to.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not my experience at all, including a couple of vintage high end lighters. All my butanes work just fine, but only one does not use a flint, and it's a torch, so used only occasionally. Sure, BICs and Zippos are reliable and sensible; everyone can use them except those who have severe hand challenges.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Sure, BICs and Zippos are reliable and sensible; everyone can use them except those who have severe hand challenges.

How is a DuPont or a swing arm Old Boy easier to use than a Zippo?

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not!

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only have 3 issues with a bic. They do run out of fluid and are disposable, the flame isn't directed at the tobacco and if you're a bit careless, you can get a minor burn. The most expensive lighter I've purchased is a Xikar and to date (just 3 months or so), it has performed admirably. Other cheap lighters, $9 to $24, have performed reasonably well for the price point.

I am thinking I will buy a Pipemaster Old Boy soon. Forget the flint stuff, I like electronic. I just wish they would use replaceable batteries to generate the spark vs a piezoelectric crystal.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the flame isn't directed at the tobacco

And, that is exactly why I prefer Bics to many of the "pipe" specific lighters. I don't ever want the flame going down into the bowl.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I like charring the rim real good, it gives my pipes a nice rustic look.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I like charring the rim real good, it gives my pipes a nice rustic look

you weren't the previous owner of didi's old Dunhill are you?

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They do run out of fluid and are disposable

There are a number of refillable Bic type lighters out there.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mark, quit screwing around with those crap lighters. Grab the Pipemaster and join us civilized pipe smokers.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=54363

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One good thing about Harris is you are never uncertain about what he thinks!

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The beauty is in the eye if the beholder. I don't know what kind of crap lighters you guys are buying and calling expensive but mine still work fine after twenty years.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

A $2000 lighter is kind of like cocaine: it's God's way of telling you that you have too much money.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

They do run out of fluid and are disposable

Sounds like a Corona Old Boy if you drop them.

You can get 30+ Bics for the cost of servicing a "high end" lighter.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The beauty is in the eye if the beholder. I don't know what kind of crap lighters you guys are buying and calling expensive but mine still work fine after twenty years.

I'm referring to the cheaper more expensive lighters made by Vector and Xikar. Cost in the $30 - $60 dollar range as opposed to a Linse pipe lighter which retails around $2.95 each.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, yes sir. LOL I will either pick one up at the Chicago Show or order one very soon. My objection is losing the lighter as I've done so often in the past. But I'll just keep it to use at home.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Corona Old Boy, a Dunhill, a couple of Kiribis, and several others... But, I never said that they were crap. I said that I just could never make them work after filling them. And, I have taken them to The Briary and other jewelers that sell lighters, with no results, since I am in other jewelry stores several times a week. I have just resigned myself that I suck at lighters that cost over $100. Besides, it's fire... we've been doing this for at least 80,000 years. A Bic has never left me looking like an idiot trying to get it lit.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I mostly use bics and matches but hate how wasteful bics are. Looking into getting a suitable replacement. I have a collection of Zippos that were great for cigarettes but I find the pip insert lousy for flame control.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I don't know what kind of crap lighters you guys are buyi ng and calling expensive but mine still work fine after twenty years.

An IM Corona Old Boy with the pipe shapes. Dropped once and no longer holds fuel. A Bic lasts me around two weeks, costs around a dollar, and doesn't leak after being dropped. At least the Old Boy comes in handy when showing scale in photographs.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

After many expensive lighters, I have settled on this. They are rechargeable (use to last about 10-15 refills) and cost 1,5 euro. Very practical and dependable.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. dukdalf

dukdalf

Login to Send PM

Thank you, cgrmaster, for confirming my status as a civilized pipesmoker!

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here it is a bit bigger, but the original image looks to be small.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

^^^
    Thank you! It is the first image I upload. Next time I¨ll post a bigger one. Uploading images is a bit tricky

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sasquatch, morgansteele, mikefu, georged, elpfeife, npod, alexnc, dmcmtk, tschiraldi, donjgiles, garywwhite, oldgeezersmoker, ashdigger, canadianpuffer, fishnbanjo, odobenus