PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
While waiting (excitedly I should add) for my PM2012 meer, I decided I should ask a few newbie questions since this is my fist meer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I assume I don't need to let a cake build in meerschaum to protect it the way I do my briars? Do I just clean the bowl after every smoke? Also can I clean the meer with Everclear the same way I do briar? Any other advice anyone can give me as far as care/ smoking my meer that I should do differently than my briars would be much appreciated.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Good questions. No, you certainly don't want to let cake build in a meer. Cake expands much differently than meerschaum, and could crack it. Second, I would not recommend using alcohol in anything but the stem and possibly the connector. And third, to clean your meer, I would run a pipe cleaner through as normal and then, for the chamber, twist up a paper towel and rotate it through the chamber. This will dry excess moisture and pick up cake-building residue.
Your chamber will still darken with use, but I've found that the paper towel trick does an amazing job of preventing cake buildup.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
I've got a problem and I need help! I got a nice calabash meer on eBay. The site showed the bowl removed as well as attached but when the pipe arrived I found I couldn't get the bowl off the calabash. What should I do to loosen it? I tried the freezer without success.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Thanks for the advice cajunguy. Unfortunately Caliban I can't help you out. Maybe try posting in the pipe repair/ maintenance section? I've gotten some really helpful advice from several guys by posting there.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
caliban, it sounds like the cork ring around the rim of the gourd is sticking to the bowl. You have to be very careful with it. If gentle twisting does not dislodge it then maybe very careful prying.

At worst, if you mess up the cork you can probably get a sheet of it at an auto supply store. They use the cork for gaskets. Trace the outline of the cork and go at it with scissors and an Xacto knife to trim. Good luck.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The cork gasket is easy to replace. You can get a strip of cork from your friendly musical instrument repair man! A small tube of cork grease (sold for clarinets) will last you forever - just work the grease in until the cork is slippery - it will take several (3-4) applications over a week to fill the cork, then it probably won't need more for a year or longer.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
As long as you take care of your Meerschaum, you should never need alcohol to clean since you bought it new. Use soft cleaners through the shank and stem after each smoke. Instead of twisting a paper towel into the chamber, you might try using an old T-shirt and your finger and swabbing it out after you're done smoking and the pipe has cooled. You can also use a clean cotton cloth to wipe the outside of the bowl as well. If upkeep gets away from you, you can swab it with alcohol soaked cleaners and a cloth, but don't soak it in alcohol or do the alcohol and salt (or cotton ball) treatment like you would a briar. If for some reason you build a cake, you can scrape it off very carefully with the scraper on your Czech tool or a blunt knife. Meerschaum scratches easily, so I would even limit the use of bristle cleaners.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
As long as we're on the subject of meer maintenance...

I'm endeavoring to color-up my Holmes and Watson set.

I've had them for many years, and only the tops of their hats are showing any color to speak of.

I have smoked mostly English blends in them, I have now switched to PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and Escudo.

Without; I might add discernible difference in the coloring.
Should I switch to something Aromatic?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This is only slightly smaller than life size.

img

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
As long as we're on the subject of meer maintenance...

I'm endeavoring to color-up my Holmes and Watson set.

I've had them for many years, and only the tops of their hats are showing any color to speak of.

I have smoked mostly English blends in them, I have now switched to PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and Escudo.

Without; I might add, any discernible difference in the coloring.
Should I switch to something Aromatic?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This is only slightly smaller than life size.

merechaumsherlockjohn1-1-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.