PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Well, I came to the conclusion today that I am in fact "in a rut".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM
I enjoy my pipes and my guitars as always, but I just don't have the drive to do anything with them right now. I still have a whack of estate pipes to work on, as well as guitars, but I'm at the point where if I'm not at my day job I just want to sit around and literally do nothing. Once in awhile I don't see that as a bad thing, but it's been going on for a few months now.
I should preface this by saying in the last three years or so, I released 3 self produced CD's, worked on an obscure Canadian TV show that no one has seen, built a guitar from scratch, spent way too much time in supposedly haunted houses, and restored more pipes than I would ever need for personal use. All this while working full time in a travelling sales job. It was crazy. I like being busy, somewhat, but I deliberately stepped back a bit recently to relax and I fear now I'm in a severe rut. No creativity, nothing.
So, what do you do when/if you get to this stage? I think the last thing I need is another money-draining hobby, but some days (like today) I feel like I'm wasting time doing nothing. I already mowed the lawn...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Right on Zon, lots of old people, vets, need help, serve dinners at the less fortunate charaties, go to hospitals and cheer up little kids, there is always something you can do when you think of someone other than yourself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both answers are good. Start with the medical side. Since you have a job, I hope you have

health insurance. Check out he hormonal thing, thyroid, and also depression. No one wants

to explore depression, but it's a life-threatening illness, so be sure to check that out. Then,

if you check out health-wise, look at the service angle. When you begin to interact with people

who need help, it puts your own situation in perspective. One way I worked my way through the

lose of my wonderful wife of 23 years was to offer myself as a sounding board for a friend who

had lost his wife more recently after years of her progressively horrendous illness. Suddenly my

truly awful experience became a useful life skill. My friend has remarried, as have I, and he moved

to the other coast, but he still writes me and thanks me for my help, and I tell him, truly, he

helped me.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think many of us fall into a rut. I am there too, trying to get out of it. Exercise and a better diet can improve your outlook and it's what I am working on right now. But it's good that you've seen a pattern after only a few months.
It's a rule of thumb in esoteric thinking that you cannot have an up without a down (a yin/yang type of thing). So right now you're down, but it will turn around, either on its own through circumstance or you can possibly speed it up through action.
spent way too much time in supposedly haunted houses
I guess that's why your avatar's name is "ghost"? I've been interested in ghosts since I was a kid. I have encountered spirits believe it or not, but technically these not ghosts. Still, I have no doubt they exist.
Good luck, be patient with yourself, it will turn around.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I feel your pain Ghost, I would agree with others to go see a doctor. I would also recommend seeing a psychologist as depression is not something mess around with. I have gone to see one myself to help deal with the pressures of dealing with my wife's severe brain injury. Sometimes taking to someone with a completely neutral opinion of things can be incredibly helpful. Often guys want to be "tough " and deal with things on their own, that's not a healthy attitude in my opinion. It feels weird to talk at first but it gets easier and it helped me immensely. Just my 5 cents.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
In my opinion you are burned out and the best cure for that is a good vacation. I would recommend a nice trip to somewhere secluded. No phone, no internet, maybe a nice book and just relax. You will come back right as rain.
Mike

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Obviously you’re not nearly confused enough (hilarious MP skit).
You’re obviously a creative person, and I don’t believe there is anything particularly unusual about creativity ebbing and flowing. You’re in an ebb period...good time to read, meditate, etc.
If there is any biological component involved, it could very possibly be a nutritional deficiency, which nearly all of us suffer from these days due to the poor quality of processed foods. You might want to do some research into high quality organic supplements if that’s not something you’re already familiar with.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
All of the above are great suggestions. You may wanna pray about it. It often times helps me when I am down or confused.
I should preface this by saying in the last three years or so, I released 3 self produced CD's
Can you post a link or PM me the details. I would love to check out some of your work!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
You might want to do some research into high quality organic supplements if that’s not something you’re already familiar with.
Ha! I sell these for a living, no kidding. I have the supplements part covered, I was just thinking of switching things up to see if there's a difference. My first change is usually increasing/decreasing my vitamins or greens when I feel 'off'.
Teddy's idea looks great...
Sorry if this thread sounded too self-deprecating, I didn't mean it to be a downer.

Status
Not open for further replies.