Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Long time since my last post, but I needed to share this with someone. My significant other, for reasons I can't quite understand, never shares in my enthusiasm for these things.
I've been keeping my eye open for a made in Denmark Stanwell for some time now, and happened to come across an estate at a (relatively) local pipe shop. I've also been wanting to add a spigot/army mount to my meagre collection so what the heck - two birds stoned.
Markings include a crowned 'S' logo on the stem, 'Stanwell' stamped on the mount and shank, Regd. No. 969-48, Hand Made, Made in Denmark, 27 on the opposite side. I believe that makes it early 70s or prior.
I'm quite pleased!
vN065rPh.jpg

jT4gBcuh.jpg

skaukatt

Can't Leave
What a great find! That is just beautiful and a Reg. No.'d piece no less! I am a Stanwell lover and the way I see it, I cannot afford a Sixten, an Anne Julie, a Jess, but I can afford a selected Stanwell whose shape was created by one of these masters. Whenever I see an interesting Stanwell, especially a Reg. No. piece, come along I give it a long hard look and sometimes add them to my collection.
You have found an absolute beauty, enjoy it!

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
Congratulations, you got yourself a beauty.

Your pipe was made somewhere between late 1957 and the early 1970s.
I have the sandblasted Bijou version and it smokes like a dream.
Happy puffing.
:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a great example of the Stanwell line made in Denmark. My several Stanwells are all made in Italy, relatively recent. I think the transition has been successful and the Italian made pipes are high quality, however I do miss the old days when pipes were designed and made in specific countries, so my pipe rack seemed to be a sort of international collection. Now, who knows? Any brand can be made anywhere, or in parts, in various countries. The stamps don't mean much anymore.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I agree MSO, not that I have anything against Italian made pipes, but I cherish my Canadian, GB and American made pipes and am excited to have a pipe from Denmark in the collection. And thank you everyone for the kind words and shared excitement.
The inaugural smoke was terrible. I dug the tobacco out after about 10 minutes with it to figure out what the heck was going on. After the pipe cooled down, I went at it with a bristled pipe cleaner with some alcohol and the sludge that I pulled out was startling. Half a dozen additional pipe cleaners came out pitch black. They must have 'restored' the pipe by reaming and coating the bowl with some sort of oil-sands byproduct.
When I bought it I had noticed a little pipe cleaner fluff stuck to the bottom of the bowl which I couldn't easily pry out. It's apparent now that they had put a pipe cleaner down the shank when they coated the bowl - and whatever they had used was applied thickly enough to hang on to some of the fluff.
Much more cleaning, a cotton ball and alcohol treatment overnight, and a bit more cleaning this morning and I think we are in business.
I will give it another shot tomorrow - im hoping for a marked improvement!

Status
Not open for further replies.