PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I'm at a bar and brought my pipe. Lighter problems aside I realized I forgot my tamper at home. Any suggestions as to what I could use as an improvised tamper? Or what have you used as a tamper?

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I did try that. Being 25 years old my hands are a little 'soft' so it was a kinda hot.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
By the way, that is why I have like five tampers so that I can always keep one in the car with me at all times.
When I packed my pipe at home I used the Brebia nail. I usually have the czech pipe tool on my key carabiner but must have taken it off last time I smoked as I didn't have it. Which led me to making this thread.
I didn't end up smoking much again anyway, though did use a long thick wood ( :roll: ) chip as a tamper.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A golf tee; almost any actual nail or screw of a medium size; beach pepples or even gravel, if you

can find an elongated piece might do; chip of tan bark; light gauge wire bent in a loop; and ...

heck ... go ahead and use your finger, gingerly.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The Godfather once said: "When removing a snake from its hole, use another man's hand".
Get some unsuspecting person to tamp it down with their finger.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
2 1/2 inch roofing nails you can buy a box for five box or less, rinse them off and then you will have acouple hundred to stash in the car house, friends car so i guess this isnt improvising, but avoiding needing to.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I pretty much only use golf tees.I just havnt found anything else i like yet.

Aug 14, 2012
Used finger before I found out that tampers were made of other things. It got semi-hard, but recovered.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
If I forget a tamper (rare for me) I just use my finger. When you use your finger tamp very lightly to break the ash before drawing. Stop the draw and press the button down again and your fine.

I have a problem using my finger is once I'm past half way it won't fit inside the bowl. My big Germanic mits have their downfalls too lol.
I've used nails, spent shell casings, a key, back end of a pen or anything else that will fit in the bowl and serve the purpose at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.