PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterj

Lurker
Jul 28, 2015
I bought a nice CAO meer brand new and the draw is extremely tight. I can barely insert a cleaner through the mouthpiece. I've read about services to loosen the draw. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's a real beauty and I would hate to turn it into a paperweight. Thanks in advance

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Please look for briar type teflon tenon connection with acrylic stem on meerschaum pipes
They have more width draw

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
You can send it to a repair shop like Walker and they will replace the tenon with the push/pull type that meerqueen is talking about. You can also try and find a pipe cleaner that is super thin, I have seen them, but I cannot recall the name brand.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
It's pretty easy to figure out what the problem is. the area that is difficult to ass a cleaner is the problem. Reads to me like the stem airway is tight. Get one of these tools: http://www.amazon.com/Kemper-Tools-Clay-Pottery-Sculpture/dp/B00N319DHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439568075&sr=8-2&keywords=Kemper+saw and open up the airway. Work it from both ends of the stem. It's fast and works really well. It's also very sharp so be careful around the button.
Or send it to a pipe guy and have the airway detailed.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Vermont Freehand sells a nifty tool for doing the slot work at the button end. "Slot Funneling Tool" for $4.00. Listed under "miscellaneous".

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
I've used that tool---it's great for all stem draw problems, and, cleaning between teeth [not]

Status
Not open for further replies.