PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
A fellow in my area comes on tv fairly often.He says he owns several jewelry stores.He sells jewelry at low prices,and pays top dollar for used gold (so he says).Today in his ad he was smoking a pipe.I don't know if he smokes a pipe or if he just thinks smoking one would make folks trust him.This leads me to a question...Do you think that folks still think of us pipe smokers as trust worthy souls,or are we bad guys trying to corrupt society.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Most all the pipe smokers I know are good men and women ,but as always there is good and bad in evrything,pipe smokers too. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know what your jewelry and gold dealer is trying to convey, probably trustworthiness, since

people buying jewelry or selling gold would want that trait in a dealer. It might convey traditionalism,

and therefore stability. Others, following the trend of opinion related to health think any smoking is

unintelligent and consider it a sort of atavistic throw-back. I don't think pipe smokers are thought of

as bad guys per se, unless we're blowing smoke around a playground where children are playing,

something of that sort. I think our image is unsettled -- a nice old timey habit with a fragrant aspect,

and some negativity around the health issue. Probably young college students smoking pipes are

thought of as a little affected, from taking up a habit connected with earlier generations. That was

equally true sixty years ago. If I were considering using a pipe in an ad, I'd probably avoid it, since

the public perception is too variable. Different populations, different regions, different economic

levels would read it differently. When I mention smoking a pipe, I get everything from shock and

dismay to smiles of delight. Some young people who smoke pipes report being asked if they are

doing pot in the tobacco pipe. Reactions are really mixed and confused.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
mso489 hit the nail on the head on every aspect touched; which to a point is bitterly irritating, don't stereotype me boi! I jest, I jest and everytime I get out a pipe in public i'm asked if i'm smoking pot. :puffy:

Reactions: magnumsmoker

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I would like to think that pipe smokers are thought of as generous, kind hearted people who are trustworthy and easy to talk to, not mean, grumpy old farts! But unfortunately, people who know me, can tell you that I can be either one on any given day!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I thought that pipe smokers were looked on as the second coming of Conan the Barbarian? Have I been wrong all this time?!? Will I have to return that sabretooth tiger loincloth now? So confused

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shirley Jones, the Broadway star, and later film star, who started in Rogers and Hammerstein musicals

as a teenager, said in a recent public radio interview (she's plugging her new biography) that she could

have never been married to a man who wanted his "pipe and slippers." I've heard at least one other

female star using the "pipe and slippers" analogy to describe dull men. Since pipe smokers are a really

small demographic, I think, in these actors' minds, this harkens back to a previous generation where men

were deferred to and indulged in their dullness with pipes and slippers. But my ears pricked up to hear

this. As a pipe smoker myself, my reluctance about pipe smokers would be more that we are a bit

eccentric and might either talk your ear off or refuse to answer in anything but grunts, that we may have a lot

of quirks and edges. Maybe I'm projecting myself in this. Anyway, to some old stars of stage of the

fair gender, men who smoke pipes are stogy, just for the record.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I truly doubt that there was a time when people looked at a pipe smoker and said, "There goes an honest man. See! He smokes a pipe."
Not a big fan of stereotyping people. Bing smoked a pipe and was a rather distant, to say the best, pretty distant parent. Stalin smoked a pipe and . . . well, 'nuff said. MacArthur was a good general and not a particularly good subordinate.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been keeping an eye out for media portrayals of pipe smokers, and for the most part it seems fairly positive - there's an element of nostalgia there (harking back to "My Three Sons" and "Father Knows Best"), a little bit of stodginess (as noted with the "pipe and slippers" comment above), and a professorial air (as with Professor Plum in "Clue", Professor Utonium in "PowerPuff Girls", Professor Kessler in "Mars Attacks").

I'm a third generation jeweler, and all of us have smoked pipes. It just makes sense to enjoy your tobacco at your workbench in a clenched pipe. But, that aside, don't trust anyone who advertises that they want to buy your gold. If they have a budget to advertise that they are buying, they are taking that off of the top of your percentage. If anyone wants to sell gold, contact United Prescious Metals , as that is where the gold dealers are turning over your gold. And, you will get the dealer's prices.
On the otherhand, you can always sell to me. I smoke a pipe all day long :D

Reactions: magnumsmoker

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Call the jeweler up and start asking him pipe tobacco questions. Sounds like a poser.
Edit: I've been known to be wrong on occasion

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Clearly pipe smokers are more trustworthy, along with being more intelligent, elegant, easy-going, likable, courteous, of better breeding and, of course, of better taste.
We are also modest to a fault.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Well, I'm a second generation jeweler. My father started in1939 so we are here a long time
Maybe I'm making a mistake in not showing myself with a pipe in my advertising
I absolutely believe that pipe smoking folks are much more trustworthy than those that smoke cigars and cigarettes !! LOL
My wife just gave me an Albert Einstein tea shirt shown on the forum smoking a pipe
The most brilliant people smoke pipes IMHO

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
A month or two ago, I was outside of Panera bread at an outdoor table drinking a cup of coffee and smoking my pipe, when a 5 or 6 year old kid walks by saying to her mother, "smoking isn't just bad for the person who is doing it, but it is bad for everyone around them." Just a kid repeating what they are taught in school I guess...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The idea that someone who smokes a pipe can possibly give any idea, and or convey whatsoever as to their personality, and or behavior is absolutely ridiculous. A pipe is simply a method/implement of smoking tobacco, albeit less harmful than cigarettes, or possibly a cigar. Granted, it’s certainly not as common as it was when I was younger, and might possibly be looked upon with some curiosity these days, but it conveys absolutely nothing. I smoke cigarettes, an occasional cigar, and obviously a pipe... so what does that make me? Do I have multiple personalities? As far as the cigarettes go... I’m an idiot for doing so, and I freely admit that.
Actually, when I see someone smoking a pipe, which is very rare, a smile appears on my face seeing that it's rarely seen anymore these days. But, for all I know, that person may be on his way home to beat the crap out of his wife. About three years ago I was shopping for a new car and I noticed a salesman smoking a pipe outside of the showroom (I wasn’t smoking a pipe at that time), and I considered it somewhat surprising as you didn’t see anyone smoking a pipe that much anymore. As it turns out, he ended up being the salesperson that waited on me and he turned out to be a total obnoxious jerk and I ended up walking out. Smoking a pipe conveys and means nothing as to ones personality; only ones actions and behavior do. ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think people suppose there is a "pipe smoking type" because it is a somewhat dramatic, and now somewhat

rare, form of body language. People hang the professor/intellectual tag on it sometimes, or if the pipe is a

cob, a somewhat rough and ready tag. But it is profoundly misguided. What does it mean if someone

collects electric trains, does snow skiing, is active in local politics, or takes tango classes. Trying to decide

what someone is like for these, or other, activities is just goofy. The tango guy or gal could be a professional

cage figher, and the electric train guy could be a brain surgeon, though neither of those careers would occur

to me learning about the avocation. Had a prof in grad school who sounded like the mountain boy he was,

and was greatly amused when academic types would condescend to him (he looked even younger than he was).

He would slowly lower the boom on them with this traumatic astonishing vast memory for literature, jazz and

other music, and a dozen other disciplines. He could remember all of the plots of all of the works of authors

I'd never heard of. It was fun to see pompous people walk into that trap.

bill708

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I contend that pipes smokers are collectors. They, like me, collect watches They see things as pieces of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.