Implants Update

(26 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lifesizehobbit
  • Latest reply from James Foster
  1. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow pipers! I just wanted to drop in and give a quick update on my dental implant progress. The bone graft is done and in two weeks I'll get the posts inserted. Somewhere around July 10, I may see the final fit for the crowns. Still no piping until I'm fully healed so from now, sometime around mid-August.

In the meantime, I picked up a Ropp Cutty and some tins of tobacco including 4 100g tins of the Frog before it disappeared, as well as some 50g tins of C&D blends.

Pipe on brethern!

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Implants.

I was thinking something else.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woodsroad, no need to think of that. Your boobs look fine to my eye.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best news is that I'll get new teeth and also become a C-cup. I didn't state that before as I didn't want all of you to be jealous of my pending self absorption...yeah, that's the word.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Generally, under the muscle look more realistic and can give you that nice teardrop look!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. tobaccojoe

tobaccojoe

Login to Send PM

Congrats, lifesizehobbit! I have a whole hell of a lot of dental work that still needs to be done. Good luck to you.

Love the avatar by the way. Lovecraft continues to delight!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

life, sorry to hear you need to go through something like that. My mom had that done years ago and I know what it entails, not fun.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm considering dental implants myself, however it seems like quite an ordeal. As for breasts, it would be more fitting to get a reduction.

Dot
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

Hope things go well for you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks all for the well wishes. As unfun as it is, it's just something I have to do. My two front teeth were heavily damaged as a teenager, and at age 56 or so, my body literally started to consume them like a foreign body. The choices were many, but healthwise this was the best route for me. I have a great oral surgeon and so far I've had very little discomfort (although that remains to be seen for what I think will be the more invasive part).

Someone fire up a bowl for me since I'm still on hiatus.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best wishes and hope for minimal discomfort and fast healing, and many good meals ahead.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Implants.

I was thinking something else.

Stormy Daniels?

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The worst pain I ever had was the day after they cranked in the post.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

I have had dentures since I was 40. Outside of my marriage and 3 kids it has been the best thing in my life. If Iknew when I was 16 what I know now I I would have done it then. Of course my dentist told me I had the perfect mouth for dentures which doesn’t hurt.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Youch! I'm glad my teeth and mouth are healthy. I've never had a cavity or dental work, other than wisdom teeth removed. I suppose it didn't hurt that my dad and brother were/are dentists.

Good luck, and godspeed.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The posts were cranked in last night, and the healing process begins. They added more bone graft to support thinner parts of my upper jaw and sank one post into the sinus bone. Blessed that beyond the face throb throughout the night, today has been much more tolerable.

Four months more healing for this step.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I need one (dental)implant on the upper back left. Reading this makes me want to move on and get it done. And it makes me want to run away as fast I can.

Your boobs look fine to my eye.

Peck, you are such a sweetheart.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am obligated to go with standard dentures; implants would rob my beloved children of the chance to say clever things like, "Keep your teeth in, Gramps!".

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also getting implants, but my dentist was like.. you can smoke your pipe, whatever.

I will say I was planning on getting a new car this year, turns out I'm getting implants... so there ya go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hunter, I think Stormy overplayed her hand. There's playing to fantasies, but then there are delusions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also getting implants, but my dentist was like.. you can smoke your pipe, whatever.

I will say I was planning on getting a new car this year, turns out I'm getting implants...

Your dentist must be pretty cool; mine was adamant - no alcohol (not even mouthwash), no smoking, nothing that slows the tissue healing. Considering the cost, I decided to adhere to the advice. And you're right on the costs of car versus implants; no vacation travel for us this year, and then some. Dental insurance is pretty much a joke just so someone will treat you and then the coverage is stupid.

Anyone considering it, each patient is different (I had to go the long route), but some people get the extraction and implant setup in one visit with about a 5 month healing timeline to final teeth. Realize that once you decide, just ride it out as the outcome is better than some alternatives.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C cup? Is that like a Dunhill group 4?

Hurry back. We need more ballast on the Frigate!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. brassmonkey

brassmonkey

Login to Send PM

I too will be looking at getting dental implants this year. I have recently relocated south to Dunedin which has a dental school at the university and can hopefully get the work done there at a much lower cost.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

Bit of a ramble, but bear w me...
    I have a friend that was basically in a crap mood for years... discovered one day on a (seldom visited) dental visit that he had a long term infection in his sinus cavity caused by bad implants from his childhood. He was an army brat and had several from being a skateboarder in the 80s/90s. Evidently the implants used were toxic and causing the infection and pressure in his head for years (hence the constant bad mood).
    The cost to fix it was exorbitant and the length of treatment, various steps along the way, were long and drawn out.

Following the visit the dentist, within a day or two, his wife heard an NPR story about US dentists that operates half the time out of Mexico due to extra stringent US policies that they don't feel are necessary. I believe the doctor that was being interviewed was working out of Georgia (could be wrong) and then somewhere in northern Mexico.
    So she called. Sent down the X-rays. They said they that this needed treated immediately, that it was on the verge of life threatening.

Basically, within the week, he was in Mexico, where they pulled the offending teeth, and several more, cleaned out what was evidently a massive amount of infection that was in danger of infecting his brain, and put in new implants, all while he stayed in what amounted to an enclosed resort... all for a FRACTION of the monetary cost and in days rather than the months it would have taken here in the US.

Evidently, part of the issue are policies in the US dental insurance side that cause tons of extra delays that many docs don't think are necessary. This leaves people in a state of numerous visits, lots of extra time in one state or another (that is not "whole"), and unnecessary essence... due to US insurance polices, etc, this is the state of affairs.
    So some pics have taken to working outside the system, in Mexico, not because that make tons of money more, but because its the right thing to do.

My buddy was, and remains, totally fine from having it all done in one sitting.
    And it didn't cost him a car... well maybe a used car, but was low enough that he could afford it, and he felt like he had top notch treatment and the experience was great.
    And it was a high quality US surgeon, that just traveled to meet him over the border.

Just food for thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. bigtex

bigtex

Login to Send PM

Best wishes on the implants. My wife had to have one done with the long process a few years ago. She only got the bone graft and said fvck the rest since it is in the back. On the other hand, I went to a periodontist and he extracted the tooth, did the bone graft and set the post all in one visit. I have a bad case of “white coat syndrome” and this guy made the whole process a breeze. It was painless and I was fearless, mostly due to the halcyon. I was back at work the next day. And the whole dental insurance thing is a joke, it cost me nearly $2k out of my pocket!

Making Pipe Smoking Great Again!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your dentist must be pretty cool; mine was adamant - no alcohol (not even mouthwash), no smoking, nothing that slows the tissue healing. Considering the cost, I decided to adhere to the advice. And you're right on the costs of car versus implants; no vacation travel for us this year, and then some. Dental insurance is pretty much a joke just so someone will treat you and then the coverage is stupid.

So yeah, post-extraction - prior to the implants, the dentist was like yeah you can. Now that I've had implants put in and it's healing the surgeon was like - don't do a damn thing, no smoking, no nothing so that your mouth heals.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   eddiegrob, morgansteele, kylef, james72