PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I was considering while smoking my first bowl of a new blend today, how much my impression of new tobaccos are swayed by my perceived expectations for the new blend.

It seems that in my case, if I expect the blend to be a solid decent blend it usually hits around that mark. Not every time, but frequently.

However, sometimes I try blends that I may have read very good things about or I feel may be really something I will like.Frequently, with that comes at least a little "let Down" for me. I quess my expectations out run my tastebuds.

Today I was able to smoke for the first time in several days and tried Old Joe Krantz also for the first time.

OJK was one of those blends that I expected to be middle of the road decent and it was. I smoked slowly, almost cautiously due to being recently Ill.

It was an enjoyable smoke with the tobaccos working well together. I enjoyed the slight sour notes from the Perique and it burned cool with no tongue bite at all.

I do like this blend. I also try to not make my mind up too solidly until I have smoked a few bowls of something.

Anyway, what do you think of how your "expectations" of new blends impacts how you like the blend?

Do you make up your mind pretty fast as to whether you like something or not? Or do you take a while to sort it out? Whats your method?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I usually make my mind up pretty fast. I don't necessarily need a bunch of bowls to figure out I like a blend. Most of the times my taste change. I'll like something, then in a few months I don't care for it. Squadron Leader was like this, but the other day my wife was smoking it and I sampled it to find that it tasted like it tasted when I first had it. Smoking blends in different pipes sounds like a bunch of crap, but there is something to this. Charring Cross taste better in a wide briar than a cob. I used to believe everything smokes better ina cob, but that's not the case anymore. Everything taste better in a Meer but in a few months that may change. I don't know. Expecting something based on some one else's taste will set one up for a huge let down. Expectations from components of blend will let you down too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently smoked a bowl of Dunhill Dark flake for the first time. Being a flake I normally get excited, being a new Dunhill flake, I was more than normally excited. Being as it is a new vaper with no red virginia's I got even more excited.

My first impression was that it was a decent flake, my expectations of it being a great flake were not reached.
Now I only smoked one bowl and in only one pipe so I will reserve judgement until I have smoked it in a few pipes. I do predict this blend will get a lot better with age as do most vaper flakes I have experience with. I smoked the bowl in one of my dedicated vaper pipes, one I smoke only Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. I am going to smoke it again in a new estate pipe that has been refurbished to see what it tastes like without a vaper ghost in it. I normally give a new blend that I should like at least 6 bowls in a variety of pipes to see how it performs. Sometimes I get a real great match with blend and pipe right off the get go and that is fun. I remember when I first tried Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, it took a while before I got the right combo with pipe, tobacco preparation and humidity level.
There have also been times when one bowl was all I needed to know I did not like the blend. Samuel Gawith Firedance flake, GH Ennerdale and Rum Flake were all one bowl and done. SG Brown Rope no 4 and SG XX Black Twist took about 3-4 bowls each before I decided they were not for me.
I remember when Mac Baren Old Dark Fired first came out, I tried it and did not care for it. I put it away and then about 6 months later tried it again after it had dried out a bit and settled and ended up loving it. Sometimes you never know what will flip that switch and you fall in love with something.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
First impressions carry quite a bit of weight with me; but whether good or bad, my opinion does change on occasion, so I'll usually re-visit a disappointing blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.