PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
So this year again I'll be headed to the NASPC Pipe Show in Columbus, (Dublin) OH. At the show there will be a distributor of IMP Meerschaum Pipes. My rotation is pretty much complete to me, minus a meer. I have looked at them both times and waited too long and the ones that really caught my eye had been sold. This year, a meer is what I'm going for first. So here's my question. Do any of you own or have you owned an IMP? They are kind of pricey for me at a range of about $180-$300 at the show. A purchase like that is not taken lightly so let's have it. What do you think of them?
Here is a link to the one I like the most. A very unique shape!
http://impmeerschaumpipes.com/?product=15-a15
Thanks,

Dave

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
When anyone asks how good are "so-and-so" pipes, I don't really know how someone else can answer other than saying "I have one and it's great, or it isn't". But what most folks don't realize is that "so-and-so" pipes aren't made by "so-and-so". Kinda like asking "What do you think of the trucks at Jo-Bob's Chevrolet Dealership?" The thing is, Jo-Bob didn't dig up the raw materials in the trucks, nor did he make the trucks. He just distributes them to the buyers. He may have some wonderful trucks made by fantastic craftsmen, but may have some real lemons too. I think the individual truck needs to inspected to see if it's any good or not.
Chacom Pipes are made by Chacom. Dunhill Pipes are made by Dunhill, but meerschaum pipes are distributed after the craftsman passes them on to the distributor. The craftsman may or may-not be contracted to work for that particular distributor exclusively.
I have to say that the meerschaum pipes of today are good pipes as a whole. They are made/carved in Turkey only (by Turkish law). They may be distributed from there or could be from here in the U.S. Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for. If you get a $35 pipe, don't expect much.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
TopD has it right, in my opinion. He also has a pretty wide selection of meerschaum pipes, from what I remember.
Your best bet is probably looking at named carvers and deciding on which one you want. Many high grade carvers are probably less likely to use poor quality meerschaum.

What is a high grade carver? Well, you'd have to judge that yourself. Here's a good site that shows pipes by carvers. Other sites also distribute from the same carvers, so you can shop around for price. http://www.meerschaummarket.com/servlet/StoreFront

You can see work by name. I own an I. Baglan, and I have to say that his work is pretty impressive. The pictures online can induce the wow factor. Having one in your hand is something else entirely. Get a feel for meerschaum from that store and shop around. Myself, I probably won't buy another one unless I know who carved it. A company name isn't enough for me. That's not saying you won't find quality in a company name pipe, but having one from a carver you can actually name, for the same price range; that's worth paying for.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
My experience with Meerschaums: each one unique - many variables. I think it is difficult to generalize based on "brand" though a little less difficult to generalize based on the craftsperson who actually carved the pipe. For example, I've probably had at least 30 CAO meerschaums over the years, some were terrific, others were barely smokable. I have one IMP meer I acquired more than 10 years ago, and I like it. IMP pipes have a good reputation. If I were to buy an IMP pipe today, I would want to know who the carver was, and do some homework. And to confuse the issue even more :) there are many, many dealers and distributors selling quality meerschaum pipes on the Internet. Always a good idea to do some research ... still, it may just come down to liking an unusual shaped pipe and taking a chance!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
you can get a Pete SH Meer for $300+/- depending on where you shop.. might as well get the best.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Quality ain't cheap, I have a large Baglan and it wasn't cheap, I"d rather have one Quality pipe as per haveing 3 or 4 so so, like the lady said That's the way it goes , first your money then your clothes . :laughat:

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
My vote for consistently top quality Meerchaums is the carver F. Baki. http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/bakipipes.html
And I agree with the Old Cajun, quality ain't cheap!

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Ok gents, thanks. I was ignorant to the fact that IMP apparently doesn't employ carvers of their own. As I stated, this will be my first one and so far it is just new to me.
The reason for me wanting to purchase at the show is that I have an issue with purchasing pipes I can't hold first. I know many of you purchase pipes off the net but I generally won't. I pretty much use the NASPC show as my once a year pipe purchasing time because there are deals to be had and thousands of quality pipes.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Ok... Not to hijack this thread. I have been looking for the right Meershaum and aside from one that I was able to handle at a B&M I may end up buying online.

I am wondering if a screw on stem is better or worse for a meershaum. The one I found at the B&M had a screw on stem. The pipe was marked Servi on the case, but no artist name on the pipe. Is Servi a distributor like IMP?

Thanks and again sorry for the hijack.
---> Jim

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
No need to apologize Jim. I am learning as well and will welcome thoughts from guys who know their meers.
Something g else I should have added to my last post; are there any tell tale signs of poor quality? High quality?
Thanks,

Dave

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The nice things about IMP is the stems have the normal tenon, they are not screw in (at least the ones I have seen in the past). Air flow is better that way unless you like a restricted draw.
Make sure the fit/finish of the stem is good, the draft holes are aligned correctly, etc. in terms of construction.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
just forget he was a Jarhead.
Hey! Hey! Watch it squid!
FWIW, I think you are wise in selecting a meer on site
That is pretty much how I purchase my pipes with a few exceptions. I only get the chance to buy a pipe once a year and that chosen time is at the show. I don't have the money to buy them often with raising a family of five on a single income. I'm fortunate to have the ones I do.
Michael, thanks for the pointers. I have just heard a few bad stories about meers and don't want to bring home a dud.

Status
Not open for further replies.