PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
I don't know if this was previously brought up somewhere, but the description on Smokingpipes of their Meers states:
"The name means 'sea foam' and is very fitting since it is formed over eons from seashells and corals that crumbled and were compacted"
I'm not bashing or anything, but this is simply incorrect. I don't know if the description came from IMP, or what the deal is, but a completely fabricated description of a material seems like something you would want to avoid?
Just wondering what the Meer enthusiasts thought about it. I don't know if Briar guys would tolerate an inaccurate account of how the wood was formed or harvested or what have you.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
After a little research, that does seem to be a common belief, so I doubt anyone is intentionally trying to deceive.
However, my very little research did not let me know WHAT meerschaum is actually made from.
What is meerschaum, exactly?

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Meerschaum is hydrous magnesium silicate. It's a mineral, indeed not the fossilized remains of sea creatures' shells. But the idea that it is, is quite old and very commonly-believed. The name comes not only from its lightness and porosity (raw meerschaum floats in water), but also due to an old German folk belief that it was literally foam from ocean waves, turned solid. As to how, exactly, it forms, I do not know.
I DO know that the only quality that's high enough for pipe-making does come from turkey, and there are five broad categories, depending on from which of five villages it comes. It's further graded once it goes to market, based on color, purity, porosity and weight; not all high-quality meerschaum is light, but all light meerschaum is high-quality. The meerschaum formerly mined in Africa is no longer available, as the mines completely ran out; it's denser than Turkish meerschaum and was commonly heat-treated in a process called calcining, as well as being pre-stained in various shades on yellow, brick red, brown or black (typically with the top around the bowl opening stained black) since it won't color from smoking as easily as Turkish block will. There are also some low-quality deposits in a few other places, including (I think) Montana and Utah.
Quite sad that nobody in the US seems to have any raw blocks for sale-- yes, I know exportation of uncarved blocks from Turkey is illegal, but I'd love to obtain one small, rough lump to display on my pipe shelves.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is a crystalized magnesium silicate, and is sometimes found floating on the Black Sea and other Mediteranian waters, hence the sea foam misnomer. As for its formation, in its natural state it is very wet and clay-like, and I have read that a lot of the Middle East was once a sea bed, so why not compacted marine

life? Or, it could be sugar and fairy farts. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So meerschaum is hydrous magnesium silicate. I've heard the fossilized sea creature story so often, I will have to write this down somewhere to imbed it in my memory. I've always thought I learned a lot of good things on Forums, and this is one illustration.

May 4, 2015
Little geology lesson here, for fun!
"Crumbled and compacted" describes how sedimentary rocks are formed such as limestone (which actually IS mostly the skeletal remains of sea creatures). Squish sand hard enough long enough and it sticks together. Rocks are composed of more than one mineral.
Meerschaum IS a mineral that is precipitated out of a solution. Imagine a big messy soup of elements. Eventually, chemical reactions cause elements to combine and minerals to precipitate out of the solution. Same way talc is formed, which isn't too dissimilar.
To the point, I would think someone in the business of selling meerschaum would know what it is. I dunno. I just thought it was really odd when I read it on the site.

May 4, 2015
IMP's website pretty much nails it and avoided the ground up and squished together seashell story, so I'd just have to guess that whoever write the description on Smokingpipes was just regurgitating the myth as he/she heard it, or knows it's false but didn't want to get in to a scientific description.
OR, that's what everyone believes, so perpetuate it as to not rock the boat?

May 4, 2015
UPDATE: SP's website has an updated and correct description. Not that it matters AT ALL, but it does satisfy the nagging pedantic a$$hole inside of me.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
"I'm NOT saying aliens dropped it here or it's waste product from their ships....BUT WHAT IF????"....Big Hair Guy ancient aliens

Status
Not open for further replies.