PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I think I found part of my tongue bite issues. Both the Alsbo Gold and Captain Black white start stinging my tongue on the charring light. Only get worse from there.
Anyone else noticed an immediate reaction to certain tobaccos? I know a couple people have mention reactions, but anyone know of certain blends that are more often an issue?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I can't speak for Alsbo, but heavily chemically laden blends like Captain Black are notorious for smoking hot and causing tongue bite.
These tobaccos are designed to sit on a drug store shelf for years and still be fresh. Like Twinkies.
I live by the words of wisdom: Never eat "food" that was designed in a corporate boardroom. I think the same goes for tobacco.
YMMV

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I agree. Most beginners start with drugstore aros -- I guess because of the aroma, or maybe availability.

But IMHO it is the worst thing to start with because it demands scrupulous attention to proper technique.

In that sense aros are a more advanced choice (though from an aesthete's point of view a rather inferior one.)

Personally, I am distracted by the chemical-like, maybe plastic-like taste of most drugstore aros. Besides,

there is such variety among natural blends that I seldom yearn for tobaccos that taste like something else.
Cigar and cigarette smokers coming into pipe smoking have a leg up here; but if a total novice asked me for advice

on a beginner's blend, I'd recommend something like SG/Medium Virgina Flake, so the newbie can learn what good

tobacco is supposed to taste like. If he wants to venture on into a smokable form of Tutti-Frutti after that,

at least he would be making a more informed decision.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I can smoke my non aro's with no problem. I have had no problem with Anni Kake, Altadis Voodoo Queen, PS Proper English, or Half & half. Well not after the first week, these bowls are lasting 35-40 minutes of smoking. Multiple relights take it into well over an hour.
With the captain and alsbo it really hits immediately and feels nothing like the bite I got from the voodoo queen the second day I of pipes and no cigs.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Sounds like it's the chemicals then and nothing about your technique. Easy fix: drop the OTC aros. There are plenty of good quality aromatics out there. Coincidently, I've been on an aro kick lately. My suggestion would be to set aside the chemical versions and try some others. Many here will recommend quality aromatics from Pipeworks and Wilke, Boswell, etc.
If interested, I've recently reviewed a few on tobacco reviews. More to come.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Aro's really get a bad rap! Think of it like learning how to drive a car. I started with a stick shift, it took longer,frustrating,and made me want to walk everywhere. But once I got it down it was fun! and I think I'm a better driver for it. Stick with it and switch to something that is known for NO bite! 1Q,Black Tie, Bull Run, 7 Seas Black, Holiday Spirit, Nording Labrador, Trout Stream w/ a pinch of latakia. All good to start with. I personally pack alittle looser than most too. Best smokes I've ever had I pack, light it. Let it sit for awhile and come back and smoke it. I at any time have 2-3 pipes sitting around ready to go. Also maybe start with a Brigham pipe too, they are great and stop 99% bite.

Of coarse this is my own opinion.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Sadly anything out side of cobs is not going to happen for a while. Good news is cobs are great! lol
Im going to stick with the naturals for a while. Give my tongue and technique some time before I try again. I love cooking and eating, not being able to taste anything SUCKED! Mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon tasted like sand...
Thanks for the advice guys, I know my wife would love for me to smoke the good smelling stuff.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I smoked aros exclusively for a long time, and it took a long time to figure out how to smoke/pack them properly. The first time I smoked a pipe was with Captain Black, and it was not a pleasant experience! Lots of tongue bite and relights! The next tobacco I tried was Captain Black Cherry, it was worse! I still have that pouch after all these years, I keep it in the visor of my truck to remind me never to buy Captain Black again! A couple years later I tried Carter Hall and thought, wow, I can really see why everyone says to start with this! It's cool burning, pleasant and packs easily! It's not a "knock your socks off" blend, just a simple, no fuss, pleasant smoke that's ready to go straight from the pouch!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A lot of the aromatics come too moist. Especially when a tin or jar (from a bulk bag) is new, it will improve if a

few pipe bowls are put somewhere (a ceramic bowl or whatever) overnight or for a day or two, to dry out. This

will upgrade the experience a lot. Still, some aros are flavored too heavily with non-tobacco and will always bite

some. Another way to improve aros is to mix them with some Carter Hall, Lane's Burley Without Bite, or similar

tobacco to refine them a little. When an aro doesn't work, just pitch it out, or give it away if you can. Maybe

put it on your roses? If it kills the roses, you know you didn't want to smoke it.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
lol I dont know if I would ever subject a rose to that.
I tried mixing the Captain with a mild danish bulk blend I picked up. Was mainly to clear an jar for new stuff coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.