Mar 7, 2013
Pretty funny, actually.
"Scotto" pipes. :rofl:
Absolute shit work, too, which only makes it sweeter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/202020613653

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
they're hardly flying off the shelves: 1 sold in the last month, another 3 in the five months prior. most people aren't fooled.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
He's been making and selling pipes for years. I don't think it's as bad as you all imply. Google..Scotto Bamboo pipe, what do you think? (7 posts) He has been discussed before on this forum. Very positive eBay reviews, someone likes his pipes.
Maybe he copied a Scottie design on a pencil shank pipe, well then she copied it from 50 other pipe makers before her.
Whatever..don't shoot the messenger

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Maybe he copied a Scottie design on a pencil shank pipe, well then she copied it from 50 other pipe makers before her.
Huh?
I'm sure that you THINK that's the case (or you wouldn't say it with such certainty), but you're mistaken. It's anything BUT the case, in fact.
The full-length-stainless-steel-reinforced "clay pipe" design made from briar never existed anywhere in the PipeWorld until Scottie developed it several years ago.

Jan 8, 2013
It seems to me that "Scotto" is his brand name, as the other pipes, totally different from the pencil shank, bear the same stamp. And looking at the product, I'm not sure I would call it "shit work". They look to be decent enough.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
It's very common to make a pipe inspired by someone else's design....but calling it a "Scotto Pipe" and producing a crap imitation takes it to the level of blatant ripoff....

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It seems to me that "Scotto" is his brand name, as the other pipes, totally different from the pencil shank, bear the same stamp. And looking at the product, I'm not sure I would call it "shit work". They look to be decent enough.

Yup, the name is legit (what were the odds?), but the design is definitely copied, and the execution is, um... casual. Yeah, that's it, casual. :lol:
The problem, of course, is that dimensional errors increase in PROPORTION to the remaining material when a pipe's size is reduced. (example: a tenth of a millimeter is considered spot-on for something like a car body, but is many times the allowable error for a mechanical wristwatch component)
You want 'em to look straight when they're small, in other words, you have to be good. "$100 accuracy" isn't enough.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
The use of stainless steel or aluminum reinforcement is not new to pipecraft, at least not this century. Maybe she did something unique and different (by extending the reinforcement further or something) than many pipemakers before her i.e. Dunhill, Sixten Ivarsson, Tom Eltang and if so, I take back what I said. Kudos for originality always.
+1 Anthony, Scotto is his brand, it is not a rip off of Scottie, in my opinion. On his facebook page he has a JP Uriquiza pipe that he copied, i.e. took inspiration from, may be he could of stamped that one JP-O Pipes.
If I ever get into pipemaking, I will try to copy every high grade pipe I have, what better way to learn. Then I'll post them on this forum and you will all be amazed at my ability to recreate ballerina, blowfish and ramses designs.
Whether his pipes are good or shit, I don't know. I try not to bash other people for trying, unless their pipes sell for high dollars, then they deserve critique. I've seen some absolute shit pipes on this forum, and I refrain from any comment.
Bored at work, I should stop now.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I try not to bash other people for trying, unless their pipes sell for high dollars, then they deserve critique.
This is the first I've heard of Scotto, but I get the impression that he's still developing as a pipe maker, and just trying to earn a few bucks along the way. There are few people who could produce a pipe as nice as the one shown, despite its technical flaws; and I think it's unkind to call it "shit work". Words of encouragement would seem to be a better tack to take.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The maker is the father of a friend of mine and member of our pipe club. Frankly, I didn't know that the gentleman made pipes and it seems that they are made infrequently. BTW, the son is a very talented pipe maker too. I can't speak to the quality of Scotto pipes but he has been making pipes for quite a while so I don't think he's playing the role of a copy cat.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The fact he makes $100 pipes...that's not the problem (they're pretty good $100 pipes) . The fact that his name is Scott and goes under Scotto's Pipes is not a problem. The fact that he ripped off the signature design from Scottie Pipes and is selling it as Scotto's Pipe- now, that's a problem...Pipemakers tend to get a little sensitive on the subject. We all take inspiration from other Pipemakers...and when we adapt for example a Tsugi design, we give credit where credit is due.

May 4, 2015
^ This was the impetus of my "wow" above. I don't know if it's shit work or not and frankly I don't care what it's called.
It's small potatoes in the grand scheme, and I'm sure Scottos interpretation of a Scottie pipe isn't taking an appreciable bite out of her business, but it still seems yucky.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
The fact that he ripped off the signature design from Scottie Pipes and is selling it as Scotto's Pipe- now, that's a problem...
Not really sure how he ripped anything off. He made a pencil shank pipe that happens to have a stainless tube reinforcing the shank. He doesn't even mention it as some special feature in the description. As far as selling under his name... well shame on him. Also, let's not forget, Scotties brand is actually Lady Briar Pipes.
I own many, many of Scottie's pipes... as a matter of fact she is the only person I will commission, but I would be pretty shocked if she felt slighted by this guy producing his first pencil shank pipe, under a brand that he has been using for quite some time, and which most likely is his name.
View must be good up in the ivory tower. Hope some of you guys can take some pictures for the rest of us peons. :crazy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pipemakers tend to get a little sensitive on the subject [of signature designs].

The very first pipe maker(s) to create the bulldog shape, or the hawkbill, or the reverse calabash, or shanks reinforced with stainless steel tubing, (ahem), must have felt the same way.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Let's stick to facts, here.
...Scotties brand is actually Lady Briar Pipes.
No, that's what she calls her business/website... the name of the super-slender pipe design is indeed the "Scottie." They are the only ones that receive that stamp.
The very first pipe maker(s) to create the bulldog shape, or the hawkbill, or the reverse calabash, or shanks reinforced with stainless steel tubing, (ahem), must have felt the same way.
They didn't because there weren't/aren't any. It is, in fact, a unique and original design. I challenge you to find another, from any source, made at any time. (Good luck. :lol: )
The "Scotto" vs. "Scottie" name put it over the top. That almost-but-not-quite-the-same spelling tweak appeared to be an example of this sort of thing:
https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-brand-imitations-knock-offs-china/
That it actually is some guy's name is amazing (and my bad). That the confusing similarity was likely to sell him a few pipes to the unwary seems to be something he's OK with, though (and is not cool).

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
My PAD is being triggered. I like nice pipes and it sounds like Mrs. Scottie has quite a fan base. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.