PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I picked up this cheap little Imco pipe lighter several years ago at a flea market and it's been one I reach for often.

My problem is that the flint finally died and I can't figure out how to replace it. Or, can it be replaced?
Thanks.
Fnord

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
The sparking wheel is part of a plastic assembly inside the lighter – grab a hold of the sparking wheel and pull it up. There should be a long plastic tube below it with a spring assemble inside of it. At the bottom of the tube, twist the tiny nob out of its arresting groove, pull the spring out, place a new flint in, replace the spring, twist the nob back into the locked position, insert assembly back into the lighter, enjoy!!!!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If it's like my Imco G77 the top part of the lighter Will pullout to replace the flint.

Grab that metal piece and give it a tug.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I hope you manage to get it fixed. Mine developed a leak after 10+ years, wait correct that, I think I picked it up in '90 or '91! Damn fine lighter! I wish I could get another two or three.

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
After two expensive pipe lighters started leaking gas dangerously within a couple of days of each other, I rummaged around in my "junk drawer" and found an Imco I'd purchased 20 years ago and used until the plastic parts began to fall apart. On the off chance that they were still made, I went on ebay and found them at $12 or $13 plus nominal shipping. What I found was not the slim line type pictured but the older, fatter style. Works fine with a big, easy--to-use flame adjustment. My only complaint with this or my old Imco is that well before the flint is used up, it produces a spark that doesn't reliably ignite the gas, requiring several "flicks.) I'm more and more convinced that the degree of effectiveness of a lighter is inversely related to its cost.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My only complaint with this or my old Imco is that well before the flint is used up, it produces a spark that doesn't reliably ignite the gas, requiring several "flicks.) I'm more and more convinced that the degree of effectiveness of a lighter is inversely related to its cost.
I have the same problem with the G-77's I have. Flint life is not good.

mittinz

Lurker
Oct 28, 2016
Stanwellman, I created a profile simply to be able to thank you for your pointers on how to change the flint on a G77R IMCO - I have been searching and searching the web for hours trying to find any bit of information on how to accomplish that, and after serveral search engines and countless pages I finally stumbled upon your advice. Many, many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.