I'm Probably Going To Be Beaten Up For This.....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I was at the local B+M today and there was a guy there buying a pouch of Drum and I asked if he rolled his own. He replied that he smoked it in a smaller pipe and that there was no difference between Drum or Bali-shag and a finer shag cut Virginia pipe tobacco. Has anyone tried this or can confirm the lack of difference between "better" cigarette tobacco and a shag cut pipe tobacco if both are Virginia?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
D&R products are also marketed as RYO's, but they smoke very well in a pipe.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Red Cap #7 Blend "pipe tobacco" does NOT smoke well in a pipe, no matter how you pack it, tamp it, or sip it. However, it makes a hell of a tasty RYO cigarette. ???

I smoke Drum in my pipe occasionally. It is a Virginia, Kentucky Dark Fire blend. I'm not sure what the big deal is. Many of the RYO's on the shelves may be marketed to cigarette guys but labelled pipe tobacco, but it is pipe tobacco. I started off smoking the bags of RYO pipe tobacco in my pipes. It's not the same crap that cigarette companies sell as tobacco.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've never smoked Drum in a pipe and wasn't fond of it rolled into a cigarette. Now, I'll have to try it. It is not on my immediate "need to try" list though.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Planta has a new VA/Bur tobacco which is called "Farmer Tabak". It can be used for rolling cigarettes or smoked in a pipe. I quite like it and it is dirt cheap.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
D&R is Daughters & Ryan. If you like Drum, D&R's Ryback is similar, and I find the quality to be better than the current version of Drum.
Russ

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Drum and Bali Shag are both shag cut Burley/Virginia mixtures. Additionally, both are a shag cut that is finer than what is most popularly know as a shag cut pipe tobacco. I believe they are both processed differently than a pipe tobacco to make them less harsh when inhaled in a cigarette. I've rolled plenty of both, but have never smoked either in a pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even on RYO sites listed as dual purpose tobacco.
http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=90_214

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've got to dissent here:
D&R is not what is expected of cigarette rolling tobacco.
It is nowhere near as good as the original Three Castles, as was widely recognized at the time.
I would never expect it to be a substitute for Drum.
D&R does many good things... handrolling tobacco is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.