PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I am tired of someone, anyone, everyone being offended! I'm American - 1/4 Lakota, 1/4 Irish, and 1/2 German. There's something in there to be offended about I'm sure, so what? Being "offended" is a way to control people's behavior or speech. Our very hobby of pipe smoking offends the majority of people in this world, so what?
It's time to gain enough self confidence to shrug off what we don't like and be adults. People that deliberately hurt people are jerks, but jokes are just that - jokes. Laugh or don't, read them or don't, it's your choice.
If anyone expects an apology, you offend me.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I find this entire post, nay this entire website, offensive. Come to THINK of it, the whole internet strikes at the very core of my being. Ban it, ban it ALL I say!!!!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm offended that Jason never personally offends anyone.
I'm offended that Hunter is offended that Plateau is offended that people are offended.
I'm offended that Brewshooter has discovered the ultimate truth of it all.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The problem is drawing the line. I think we can all agree that their are lines that shouldn't be crossed. Personal attacks, ugly, racist hate speech, advocacy to violence are examples.
I like humor. As an Irish Catholic southerner, I appreciate some religious, ethnic, hillbilly humor. But humorous ethnic threads are like political ideologues. It always gets carried to far. In an effort to top the last poster, someone inevitably goes over the line of decency and posts some crass, hurtful, mean-spirited, ignorant comment.
So we need some editing and some constraints must be imposed. If not, this site would totally implode within weeks, if not days.
Another issue is one of topic relevance. This site is for the discussion and advancement of pipe smoking. It wouldn't be unreasonable to restrict all threads to this topic. There are other sites where we can post political diatribes and swap jokes. So, what topics should be permitted?
In the end, you have to decide if you want a moderated site where content is filtered and edited or a free for all. I don't know about you but I no longer waste my time posting to un-moderated or lightly moderated comment sections on news sites, e.g., the Washington Post or NYT. It has become a running joke in my family about the number of responses posted before someone gets called a Nazi. And the ignorant, racist crap that is permitted has turned me off so much that I now rarely read the stories on those sites, much less the comments.
I'm predjudices. I'm moderator and editor for other websites and news lists. I was a print editor for one of the above mentioned news companies. I can tell you that it is IMPOSSIBLE for an editor to make everyone happy. The job description requires you to draw lines and that decision is often subjective, no matter how objective we try to be. You learn to live with the constant criticism from readers, reporters, your publisher and your mother, or you find another career.
As a forum member here and elsewhere, I've also received the brunt of some snarky, ad hominem attacks, often over piddling matters of little consequence. I visit PipesMagazines and similar subject matter sites to enjoy some fellowship and banter over a non-controversial topic. My goal is relaxation, education and distraction from the crap I read and hear about everywhere else. It is a refuge of sorts, like my pipes, from the day-to-day grind and aggravation of life.
So, while I may choose to draw the line at a different point than Kevin or our moderators do, I'm grateful that they are drawing them and not me. I'm happy that I don't have to defend those editorial decisions to some people who think they have a God given, constitutional right to say what they want to whom they want in the way they want. Even those members will almost certainly agree that lines should be drawn - but at the point where they think they should be drawn.
So, thank you Al and Kevin and Jason, for handling the thankless jobs of censoring. Yes, I used the "C" word. It is a dirty word in America but as much as it pains us to admit, it is sometimes needed.
IMHO. Your mileage may vary.
Please pardon the pompous gravitas.
Pax

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Ex Offender...EX OFFENDER. My mind inserted an S in there and I suddenly became VERY concerned. One more reason to BAN the lot of you!!!!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Well then Sablebrush, that is offensive that you find my lack of offensives are offensive in an offensive way. Good Lord that was tough.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am too offended to call you pensive!
I am also offended that no one made fun of me...
I never got a thread closed about me.
It hurts.
It hurts a lot!
:crying:
I dunno if it's my rabid aversion to the thought of losing language to political correctness or my 21 years in the military, but I don't get offended by anything posted on here.
I find it sometimes lacking in taste, but not offensive. Just my 2 cents.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Those responsible have been sacked. Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti... We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked. Møøse trained by YUTTE HERMSGERVØRDENBRØTBØRDA Special Møøse Effects OLAF PROT Møøse Costumes SIGGI CHURCHILLMøøse Choreographed by HORST PROT III Miss Taylor's Møøses by HENGST DOUGLAS-HOME Møøse trained to mix concrete and sign complicated insurance forms by JURGEN WIGG Møøses' noses wiped by BJØRN IRKESTØM-SLATER WALKER Large møøse on the left hand side of the screen in the third scene from the end, given a thorough grounding in Latin, French and "O" Level Geography by BO BENN Suggestive poses for the Møøse suggested by VIC ROTTER Antler-care by LIV THATCHER The directors of the firm hired to continue the credits after the other people had been sacked, wish it to be known that they have just been sacked.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have always wondered where the responsibility lies, is it with the offender or the offended? Personally, I feel the responsibility should lie with the offended to not get offended. Because, let's be honest, the person being offensive does not care. As with all things in life, it is a two way street; an individual cannot give offence if there is no one to take offence.
I find it sometimes lacking in taste, but not offensive.
wyfbane, I could not agree more.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well said Pax, and thanks for the support!

Our local small-town newspaper had a unmoderated free-for-all in the editorial section. That made for some unpleasant reading and I generally avoided that area. (web and in print). A few months ago, they instituted a new policy where a reader had to post their name and anonymous screen names were no longer accepted. As you might guess, once your real name was applied to a commment, civility and decorum increased considerably.

I recognize that due to the sensitivity of tobacco use, some folks might not be able to participate so screen names are a fact of forum life in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.