Tags:  No tags yet. 

I'm Not In Love With Virginias - Need Suggestions

(32 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by mgvsquared
  • Latest reply from shutterbugg
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mgvsquared

Login to Send PM

So I've narrowed down I don't particularly like Orlik Golden. I'm just not digging the grassy, citrusy notes. I'm sipping, so I don't think it's an issue where I'm not appreciating the Virginias. Orlik, Dunhill RR, Christmas Cheer. They're just slightly off putting to me. Not bad, just not what I want to puff away at

For comparison, I've really appreciated heavy burley blends, like Russ' Log Cabin from P&C. I got a lovely chocolate on the retro hale and that's something I really dug...getting those favors from a non aro.

Suggest me something!

Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.
    Thank you Robert.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Solani Aged Burley Flake, Old Dark Fired, Wessex Burley Slice, G&H Dark Bird's Eye and their Kendall Kentucky, 4Noggins Moe's Confetti (an under rated blend), Chatham Manor, Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Watch City Deluxe Crumb and their Slices, and Classic Burley Kake immediately come to mind.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had the Solani ABF, the ODF, Match ERR, and the Classic Burley Kake. All good choices. I too prefer the Burleys. Any of these would be a good try. Another good one is Uhle's burley Blend 00. One of the best

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought Virgina's are for lovers? Oh well.

If you like burley you should be exploring C&D offerings. That's their wheelhouse, 5 O'Clock Shadow, OJK, Epiphany, and Morley's Best are some of my favorites.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eventually, I'll be exploring more of the C&D offerings, but for right now, thanks Jim for mentioning Watch City. I was not aware of them and have promptly ordered a few ounces of some of their burley flakes/cakes

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't overlook the OTC's. Most people find at least one they enjoy, even if they don't often admit it on the forums.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 aldecaker - try Prince Albert and Carter Hall. They caught me by surprise (in a good way)

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Burley is used in aros because it has very little flavor of its own, but absorbs like a sponge. So I suspect even so-called non-aromatic natural blends which are burley-based depend on some form of casing, or the other condimental tobaccos, for whatever flavor they have. Thus that would be what I would pay attention to in the ingredients/descriptions.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mgvsquared

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll probably research more of the C&D stuff for the price point and branch out from there.

I actually have some Castle Hall incoming that I bought for breaking in purposes. Excited to try it nonetheless.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well. You need to try some more experienced VA blends. Three come to mind: Escudo Navy DeLuxe, GL Pease Embarcadero, and Rattray's Old Gowrie.
    These are the older sisters of the VAs you've been dating up to this point. Maybe you'll go back to the younger VAs in time... but, turn the lights out and try something, related...

Old Gowrie, on TobaccoReviews.com, reviewed by a guy who has been there; gone that:
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/959/rattray-old-gowrie#review3386

Also look into Capstan Flake (blue), Erinmore Flake (yellow), & Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro flake (allegedly an English, but really a VA) for the other grassy, zesty (jailbait) VAs.

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

BLACK FRIGATE

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try a good VaBur like Mac Baren Mixture Flake

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Virginia's are the last type of tobacco most pipe smokers learn to appreciate. Just come back to them in time and see if your tastes have changed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You may like Lane Limited Ready Rubbed...Log Cabin is very good tobacco, reminds me of Anglers Dream without the cinnamon.

John
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. deuce26

deuce26

Login to Send PM

Have you tried red Virginia blends?

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My recommendations in the OTC world would be Prince Albert and Carter Hall. Both great, classic, OTC burley blends.

Also I personally enjoy Old Joe Krantz, Old Dark Fired, and Big N' Burley.

And as always I'll take this as yet another chance to recommend my favorite blend, Jackknife Plug. It's got Virginias, but they take a backseat to the Dark Fired Kentucky which is the real showstopper.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. fyfol

fyfol

Login to Send PM

I was initiated to VAs with Erinmore Flake, and wasn't in love then, not in love now. But I've learned that I can smoke them with less hassle than say, a Lat heavy blend even though I LOVE latakia, so go figure huh?

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mgvsquared:

Have you ever tried an English smoke?

They generally have some Latakia in them and that Lat gives off a smoky, leathery, BBQ taste.

Some are fragrant with their toppings - like the Frog Morton & Esoterica series - others are particularly sweet and pungent with Oriental tobaccos and some - like the tins from Old Dan, Low Country and heftier Russ Oueltte treats from P&C will give you the gustatory & olfactory sensation of standing around a campfire.

Do know that all Latakia smokers are generally regarded as being handsome individuals, fleet of foot, quick witted, kind to those less fortunate and leaders of countries.

In short, we rule, bub.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you some samples.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shutterbug, I think there are genetic differences in tasting burley. Various plain burley blends, non-aromatic, have plenty of taste to me and others. The Belgium burley variants Tobac-Manil Semois leaf, for example. But individual responses vary wildly. Many like you find it absolutely flavorless in itself. Others find it overly repugnant. One Forums member reported throwing up; this was an experienced pipe smoker, not a newbie. More than that, though, various blenders, notably Cornell & Diehl, do excellent blends using the distinct flavor of burley to bring up flavors in other tobaccos, but burley is definitely in there and in harmony. It's a nutty, rich, earthy taste that can both highlight and anchor particular blends. If you can't taste it, you can't. No arguing that. But many of us can, and enjoy it very much.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. johnnyiii

johnnyiii

Login to Send PM

Stokelbye's Luxury birds eye flake and or navy flake is awesome. Virginia, Burley, and some perique. When I want great flavor with out soap and not an arro that is what I go to with great sighs of happiness. If you never had it its definitely worth 4.00 bucks to try an ounce.

If you try it and don't like it ship it to me.... I'll smoke it.

I humbly reserve the right to post an intuitive thought here ... When ONE comes to mind.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I echo fnord's suggestion: Have you ruled out English or Balkan blends? I'm no longer fleet of foot, just of mouth. When said foot isn't lodged there. GLPease is a master of those blends, and Std. Tobacco of PA has recently joined the group with the master blend Russ Ouellette, bringing back some classic John Cotton blends.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

mgvsquared, if you enjoy Burleys, then stick with them. To keep venturing into virginias, if you don't like them is not an obligation.
    Try Wessex Burley Slice.
    In a bit, if you are curious again about virginias, then give GL Pease Triple Play a try: it's virginia, Perique and some Dark-Fired Kentucky. There's also Bria Fox which has a good proportion of Burley with the virginia. You might also enjoy, eventually, Wessex Brown Viginia Flake.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my regular smokes is Lane MV-1000. Pure Virginia, mellow, not too much nicotine (I can't tolerate very much) and relatively inexpensive. It is a very light aromatic but if you want a true non-aromatic, I like Cornell & Diehl Tom Eltang Virginia which has a bigger nic kick. The former tobacco comes as bulk; the latter is in a tin. Both seem to cellar well BTW.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. badger

badger

Login to Send PM

From McClelland's tobacco Co.

It may be necessary to smoke up to four ounces of a natural product before the mouth adjusts to the clean taste and subtler range of flavors typical of these Matured Virginia tobaccos. The smoker is rewarded for the effort as he becomes able to distinguish the delicate variations in taste and deepening richness these tobaccos develop as they are smoked.

Without overstating the point, VAs take a little practice.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would say put off exploring Virginias until it gets warmer.

I got big into Virginia and VaPer blends last summer and I noticed when it started to cool off I wasn't getting nearly the flavor out of them that I had when it was warmer.

I'd suggest revisiting Orlik Golden Sliced. Try out Dunhill Flake, Newminster's No. 400 Superior Navy Flake, GL Pease's Union Square, Escudo, H&H Anniversary Kake, Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake, and Mac Baren's HH Pure Virginia.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. docspipe

docspipe

Login to Send PM

For me mgvsquared, I also favor Burleys. I find them a meatier smoke, enjoying the plumes of smoke they produce and that old world pipey type room note they leave. My favorite is Solani's Aged Burley Flake and Mac Baren's HH Bold Kentucky. I used to enjoy the original Edgeworth Sliced (not the Orlik produced version). OTC Burleys that I enjoy are SWR Regular and Lane's Ready Rubbed (reintroduction of Edgeworth's Ready Rubbed). The newly reintroduced Amphora Original is also quite nice. I'm a fan of Irish Flake and Rattray's Stirling Flake as well.

When I do smoke a Virginia I like Mac Baren's Virginia No 1 and their Virginia Flake, and McClelland's Navy Flake and their Dark Flake No 2035. They are not grassy and that is why I, too, don't care much for Orlik's Golden Slice.

I suppose it can be all summed up in the oft quoted saying, "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke." Happy puffing!

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Explore the burley blends for a while. There are plenty of good ones. Keep one or two Virginias in small quantities. Virginias are especially prone to improve with age, perhaps more than any other leaf. One good old staple is McClellands Red Cake Virginia 5100. If you can get around the ketchup fragrance when you open the jar, it might appeal to you ... eventually. I've always enjoyed Virginia in rotation and as part of English blends, but I can see how it would take some acquiring of the taste for it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm going to assume, perhaps incorrectly, that you are relatively new to the pipe world. If you aren't in love with Virginias - so what? Don't try to smoke any for a while. Smoke what you do like. Come back to Virginias in a year or two or three. Everyone does not have to like every kind of tobacco!!!

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

mgvsquared

Login to Send PM

Been MIA for a couple of days. Sorry all, and again, all the suggestions! Thanks!

I'll be trying some more blends and putting these VA straights on the back burner to come back to with time once I get my technique better. I'm still pretty new to all of this so I'm going to be patient with myself. I have some Dunhill Nightcap to try (smells like a wet dog, ugh). I will report that I really liked this Peterson Irish Dew. Light aromatic. I got a decent amount of VA taste I think, but with some mellow notes of what I could only descibe as whiskey. It was nice.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another Virginia that's not light and grassy is McClelland Navy Cavendish. Mild in strength, but very rich and flavorful

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mgvsquared, Don't love Virginias? well shame on you.
    Just kidding. There are some great Burly blends out there as already recommended. Good luck. I would not take Virginias off your list long term.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The thread reminds me of the old vaudeville joke about the guy who goes to the doctor and while bending his thumb backwards says "Doc it hurts when I do this. What do you think?" Doc says "I think you should stop doing it."

If you don't like Virginias, don't smoke them. Pipe smoking is not a worm-eating contest, you don't get points for endurance.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   loadclear, monkeylyf, tnfan, chasingembers, ben88, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, josephcross, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar