I'm Not a Pipe Snob

(53 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by hoosierpipeguy
  • Latest reply from Bill
  1. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered some tobacco from Antonio in Argentina. He gave me strict instructions that all the blends he is sending me, but one, must be smoked in a cob. He even sent me his suggested order to try them in. LOL What a marvelous gentleman Antonio is. Going to his store in Argentina so I can smoke a few bowls of tobacco with him made my bucket list.

I'm not one to argue with the tobacco Icons. These came today with a tobacco order. I sent the photo to Antonio and told him I wanted to make sure he was aware I was following his orders. The one on the left actually looks a bit snazzy.

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This should be very interesting for you. I'm wanting to try some of his blends, but realistically I don't have the time right now. I'll live vicariously through your report!

Posted 7 months ago #
  3. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like an intelligent and well versed smoker! Can you show some of the blends as you experience them?

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, I'm sure my tasting report will not compare well with Jim's. But then, whose does? But I will make my best effort to provide feedback. Hope to get them next week some time. I'm looking forward to trying them. I'm also hoping to really like at least a couple, it would suck not having a good reason to deal with Antonio again.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent thanks

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent score Hoosier! I would personally smoke the tobacco in a meer and lie my teeth off about using the cob

Neal
    Posted 7 months ago #
  7. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL I think I'll enjoy it regardless. I have no issue with a cob. I just don't think they're all that. But having some fun with Antonio is kewl.

Posted 7 months ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great adventure. Keep Forums posted.

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

I actually told Tony thanks but no thanks.
    I ordered 10+ blends, smoked in both briars and cobs, and loved every single puff.

He also says you shouldn't dry his blends, that each has the perfect humidity. But some of the blends really benefited from a couple of hours of air, to my taste.

He truly is a great and passionate smoker.

Ignacio
    Posted 7 months ago #
  10. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

May I ask how the whole ordering, shipping costs, and shipping experience went for you?

I was interested in trying him out but the website was a bit quirky (for me). I didn't understand how it worked, though admittedly, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Curious to know what you got.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds intriguing. What's the URL?

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 7 months ago #
  12. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

I believe this is it:

http://www.tabacosn.com.ar/

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

True, the website is a mess. The URL is tabacosn.com.ar.

I suggest sending an email to Tony. He's always happy to reply. The address is maestromezclador@gmail.com.
    Bear in mind that he doesn't speak english, and uses Google translate.

I don't know him in person, but I'll be happy to act as middle man, if that's necessary. His passion is contagious.

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Make sure your speakers are turned off when you open that URL.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He was out of a number of things I ordered. He suggested these, I said okay.

1-ArandĂș ...................... Open Sunday 19-8-2018
    1-Centinela
    1-Choctaw.
    1-My Special Mix (two virginias and little natural burley)
    1-Andullo Dominicano (virginia herbal and andullo dominicano)
    1-Regular-II-
    1-Argeus ................ (Strong English mix).
    1-General Manuel Belgrano ..... (Exotic natural English)

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why do I find every language but English???Am I just missing it somehow???...

"The weez..."
    Posted 7 months ago #
  17. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

hosierpipeguy, did you get the blends from Tony? I'd love to read your thoughts.

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking my way through a number of these blends. The reason for the cob is simple. These are some of the strongest, most nicotine laden, blends available today. A large bowl may have you worshiping the porcelain god!

So far I've liked every one of them, and the General Manuel Belgrano is one of the finest "English" blends I've smoked. I've put the quotes on English because it has a strong burley component. The aged Syrian Latakia is wonderful.

What impresses me is the quality of the leaf, aged for years before being blended and sold. None of this "cellar series" nonsense. If it's cased, the casing is very light, and nothing I've smoked so far is topped, just very well matured natural Argentinean leaf flavor in well balanced blendings. Good stuff!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 7 months ago #
  19. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

Considering the taxes, the absurd legislation against tobacco (in a country that exports tobacco!), the amounts of red tape and the pure negligence of the suppliers, Tony has it really hard.

He takes great pride in his work. It's all done by him (acquire the tobacco, mature it, cut it, remove all the imperfections, create and mix the blends). It's a one man industry.

It's always nice to have his work recognized.

Thank you sablebrush for taking a chance on him, and for your kind words.

Posted 7 months ago #
  20. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hosierpipeguy, is the price per ounce or per tin.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mark, are you going to break in those cobs first? Not sure an unbroken in cob is the best choice of pipe to try new blends. Why not dedicate a couple of briars for the experiment? It isn't like you don't have enough pipes.

Harris
    Posted 7 months ago #
  22. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hpg, echoing ignac here. Really want to get your thoughts on receipt!

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sable', real head-spinners huh? I think maybe I like reading about better than smoking them. Black rope and Tambolaka are about my limits, though I do like Semois single leaf and Five Brothers. I await word from our correspondent in Argentina.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

mso, that would be me?

Can't help you there. We don't get those tobaccos here.
    And I'm not a good reference for nic hit. Was a very heavy cigarette smoker until recently, so I don't really get a buzz with pipe tobacco.

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I understand that War House has quite the
    kick.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  26. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sparrow, don't get Frank with us now....

Posted 7 months ago #
  27. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I'm going to be in Argentina next month. Any idea where this guy is from or if it is possible to buy from stores in certain cities?

I'm also interested in knowing if anyone who has tried his blends can recommend anything that a VAPer/Virginia/Haddo's Delight style smoker might enjoy.

I've ordered a shipment from the U.S. while I'm in Brazil for awhile, but I suspect customs got their sticky fingers on it. Maybe I'll try importing from Argentina next, or knocking on his door if that fails.

I did see, if my package happens to slip through customs, that I'll be charged R$15 regardless, just because it is from an international destination and the national post of Brazil sees fit to add a tariff for that... which is new to me. Anyway, another side thread for how the Yankees of this forum have it so good. I thought Canada was tough... but at least you can pay to have your tobacco liberated there.

Posted 6 months ago #
  28. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

He doesn't sell to stores, but you can arrange a visit to his "temple" in Palermo, Buenos Aires.
    I suggest reaching to him at maestromezclador@gmail.com

Centinela is a must for any Virginia lover.

Posted 6 months ago #
  29. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

Most excellent. I've just sent him an e-mail. I appreciate it.

Viva Jujuy!

Posted 6 months ago #
  30. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

Are you from Jujuy by any chance?

Posted 6 months ago #
  31. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool!

Posted 6 months ago #
  32. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

No, I'm originally from Canada. I spend part of my year in Brazil and I try to time it when it's winter in Canada.

I completely messed up my tobacco import this time around and didn't come with nearly enough. Too many other things going on and I lost track of what was important... There used to be on shop in Sao Paulo where I could get imported blends, but now they only stock Captain Black. It's grim. Good cigars here, but I prefer the pipe.

I should be passing through Buenos Aires next month. I saw on his page that he gets tobacco from the Jujuy area. I was a bit surprised. I went North of there a few years back, and it turns into a desert pretty quick. Interesting to see what kind of leaf comes out of that region. Seems like a spot to grow orientals instead, but I don't know much about growing conditions, so I'll wait and see.

I hope he can ship to Brazil, because I'm not sure I can hold out until October. But, I refuse to set sail with Captain Black. Man. I can't do it. I'll buy boxes of cigars before I go down that path again...

Posted 6 months ago #
  33. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

I'm from Jujuy, and you get all kinds of climates and soils here. The city of Perico is home to some of the finest virginia in the world.

I do hope you don't have to take my word and get to try it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  34. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

He just replied now. That's quick service! I'm hoping we can get a couple of packages past customs here in Brazil.

Jujuy is such a beautiful place. I flew from Buenos Aires to Salta and then drove up to Rodero, or somewhere about there. Felt just about like the end of the world. There was some amazing hiking around there. Of course, the towns of Humahuaca, etc. are interesting and in a beautiful spot, but I liked being at the end of the line.

I was hiking down a path for the better part of the day, thinking I was all alone, and then a woman came by with her mule to bring quinoa into the town and trade for flour or butter or something. She must have been around 75 years old and said she had been walking for 2 days from the mountains. What a life.

You're from a stunning part of the world. Last year I was in the Mendoza area, which is beautiful as well, but I had a longing for Jujuy! Something magical about that place.

Posted 6 months ago #
  35. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Choctaw is a nice VaPer. I agree with the Centinela recommendation as well.

Posted 6 months ago #
  36. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

Thanks hoosierpipe. He's got the Choctaw in stock, as well as "Regular II" for

The rest are aromatics and 3 English blends. I'm not an aromatic fan, generally, but I am intrigued by the coffee blend. It sounds like he literally mixes coffee into the tobacco. Seems interesting and I may just toss that in for the hell of it.

Maybe an English too. It's still chilly where I am in Brazil, but as soon as the heat/humidity come on, I can't handle a strong English. Could be there's time to work through a tin before that happens.

It was awesome that you started this thread! Most people have no idea how difficult it is to get quality pipe tobacco down here. He at least sounds passionate about his blending and tobacco, so I have a feeling it's going to be a good experience. I'm hoping to see his factory in Buenos Aires as well. I can't speak Spanish, but I can point and nod like the best of them!

Thanks for the tips.

Posted 6 months ago #
  37. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Phooey, I kept seeing "I am not a pipe snob" in the title and thinking, what kind of Communism is that? To be a snob is as American as apple pie, the best apple pie, none of that second rate rehydrated apple crap. So, being proud of my snobbishness, I avoided this thread, but low and behold it is about a pretentious and grandiose tobacco that is exclusive. That sounds much better. And, I need to try these.

Oh, and we wont take your country club key away over the crappy impoverished looking corncobs. Just go and smoke them back in the kitchen with the help. Those guys will appreciate the attention from... you know... us. And, we all won't have to see you tokin' away on a corncob, like a common street urchin.

Michael
    Posted 6 months ago #
  38. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto, Cos', except having watched this one before I KNEW anything on it would be worthy so I definitely *did* keep up with it. I mean, yeah, OK, I don't fall into the demographic that can buy $3k handmades at the crop of a keystroke, but I DO consider myself a snob & I ain't no-how apologizing for it!

Posted 6 months ago #
  39. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't have to be rich to be a snob, just discerning... with a judgmental attitude. It's possible to be kind, friendly, and yet prudish, as long as it comes natural, and not forced. That's the key. Subtlety, just with your choice in words you can gut an inferior blend leaving its corpse to bleed out in the thread, while generously praising some quality to keep the "masses" happy.
    For example, "C&D is very good at what it does with burleys." You can practically see the blood rushing down the thread as all of C&D's Virginia offerings gushes a blood filled bubble of a last breath.

It's about being a Gentleman.

Posted 6 months ago #
  40. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like those cobs and would like to make them "permanent party" on your rack or nearby, look at getting Forever stems for them. They definitely elevate a cob from disposable to an extra nice pipe that is lightweight and nearly always a good smoke, for years and years.

Posted 6 months ago #
  41. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

don't have to be rich to be a snob, just discerning... with a judgmental attitude

Yeah, with emphasis mostly on that last. Done hit the hail on the Ned.

"permanent party"

Tom, you've been hanging around those folks from Ft. Bragg too long. }:)

Posted 6 months ago #
  42. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking the coins rather regularly. They deliver a very fine smoke. I'll be buying a few more and getting Lucite stems upfront.

Posted 6 months ago #
  43. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a discerning pipe snob! I am absolutely sure my pipes are better than anybody else owns. I write this with nose a bit elevated and a disdainful sneer. And, my position is absolutely unassailable as it is a personal opinion, arrived at with no real thought or research, achieved simply by thinking only of myself coupled to a complete faith in my own, perfectly developed, infallible tastes and discernment. And, long time readers know that I am not the least bit judgmental.

I am, indeed, the master of my wee universe. Excepting only those to whom I must pay "to Caesar what is Caesar's." Caesar has more guns. I'm pragmatic not, suicidal or in search of martyr status.

For those of you in Loma Linda, the above is mostly sarcasm. Readers may pick and judge what is truth and what is, most surely, sarcastic.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  44. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank Heavens you're not an undiscerning pipe snob! That would be tragic or a tragedy.*

* 50 years ago, "tragic" meant a noble character was brought down by some inherent tragic flaw in his makeup. The play was called a tragedy. Now I hear newscasters describing a dog injured by an automobile as a tragedy. Now, that is tragic!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  45. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now I hear newscasters describing a dog injured by an automobile as a tragedy.

Dogs can have flaws, and chasing cars is as good as chasing windmills.

Posted 6 months ago #
  46. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Humans think dogs have flaws. Dogs know they have no flaws, only flawed owners which they constantly try to improve. Dogs with flaws! Hurrumph!

Posted 6 months ago #
  47. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

and chasing cars is as good as chasing windmills

Or chasig chasing embers.

Posted 6 months ago #
  48. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well played!

Posted 6 months ago #
  49. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

But horribly spelt.

Posted 6 months ago #
  50. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

And perfectly fixed

Javan
    Posted 6 months ago #
  51. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

complete faith in my own, perfectly developed, infallible tastes and discernment. And, long time readers know that I am not the least bit judgmental.

Personally I see nothing wrong with that outlook on life. Mine's the same. Better, of course, but....

As far as dawgs, I've seen more than a few that chased parked cars. One of them caught one one time & had no idea what to do with it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  52. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Better, of course, but....

Highly unlikely! Possible? Maaaybe ... Doubtful though.

Posted 6 months ago #
  53. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doubtful though.

Well, of course.

I ALWAYS have doubts about other people's judgment.

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, derhammer, dino, chefbenny