PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

insecticide26

Lurker
Nov 24, 2014
Hello , my mane is marcel and I'm new as the title states ,I first picked up a pipe for the first time almost 6 years ago only to just put it back down afer a month or so .back then I had no clue at all about what I was doing ,It started out as me finding a few pipes that wore my great grandfathers and buying a bag of super Value cherry and a pouch of CB white ,I decided to send a way for a free sample from sutliff I found online and it was called great outdoors I think ,anyway like I said back then I had no clue or idea as to what I was doing (inhailing,not tamping,using a cigarete lighter ect) well at that time the CB white was my favorite out of the 3 followed by the SV cherry as for the Great outdoors .I hated it honestly if I remmeber correctly when I gave it away to a freind of mine I told him "this taste like burning leaves " or something along the lines. Fast forward to 3 months ago after a brief afair with cigars I got to thinking about pipes .well I got my great grandfathers pipes back out and bought a pouch of CB white "my old favorite "I don't know if it was because my taste have matured or if maybe since I wasn't inhailing it and actually tasting it that I found it horriedly sweet in a pipe ,well I smoked maybe 3 bowls of it and ended up using the rest to roll cigs with ,(yeah cigarette addiction) anyway once again I put the pipe back down and Started Vaping .it was nice got into building my own coils and trying all the "Premeuim e juice) I could find .but at the same time I couldn't get pipes off my mind .so about a month a go I went out and got a corn cob a pouch of Prince Albert and gave itt another shot .well I will say this The Prince may be a Otc and full of PG but from coming from vaping PG isn't that big of a deal to me I axoly enjoy pipe smoking now ..I went and got some Carter hall .and loved it even more than The PA .I also went and picked up a pouch of SV cherry and that I had issues with at first until leting it dry out over night then its pretty good ,.well anyway this is where I'm at now smoking Otcs out of a MM corncob and loving it all the way .any way that's my story so far ..

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Welcome to the forum and pipe world. Sounds like you're off to a good start. You're already finding out what you like and don't like, and the education will continue for years. I've been smoking a pipe for over 40 years now, and I'm still learning about blends and tobaccos, discovering new ones I like, growing tired of old standbys, etc. You'll find the process fun, sometimes a little maddening, but usually rewarding. And there's a bunch of people here always ready to help you on the journey.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hey, welcome to the forum!
Yes, its a journey but a much easier journey these days than in the past. Do not hesitate to ask questions, seek advice, etc.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Welcome. I've smoked a pipe off and on for 30+ years and it's only been the last couple of years since finding this site that I've truly been able to enjoy pipes completely because of this site. It is such a rewarding hobby in all ways.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Welcome. Check out the Free Pipe Project thread and see if it is something that could help you.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/free-pipe-project

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here and always feel free to ask questions. This is the friendliest bunch of pipers on the planet.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Welcome from on newbie to another.
It's funny how many of our stories about beginning starting follow the same pattern.
I didn't have the luxury to have a friend or family member that smoked a pipe. So for me, it has made all the difference in the world reading the advice in these forums and learning the basics of how to enjoy a pipe.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome insecticide26
Your perseverance is just beginning to pay off. Soon you'll be trying all kinds of interesting blends and discovering unimaginable flavors. Keep us updated on your experiences as they unfold.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome insecticide26. I think many or most pipe smokers start out on-again-off-again. Take your time.

Some pipe smokers are happy with Carter Hall and such and go no further. There is a vast selection of

blends aromatic and non, available online and at pipe shops. Visit the sponsors online retail sites and see

what looks good. Bulk tobacco, that comes in plastic bags (you'd want to store it in glass jars once you

receive it) saves money over tobaccos in tins, but eventually you'll want to try both. Plenty of information

available on pipes, tobacco, pipe restoration and repair, pipe history and lore, pipe shapes, pipe design,

smoking techniques and so on, here on Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.