I'm Getting Addicted to Navy Flake, Rolls, etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Since my re-introduction to pipe smoking (I took a few years off), I've become quite addicted to this Navy Stuff. Been smoking Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and Escudo. Next up is a tin of Capstan Ready Rubbed. Mac Baren: Navy Flake and GLP Navigator are on the list for future TAD purchases.
Funny, when I left pipe smoking years ago I thought I was a firm Latakia man. I'm quickly becoming a VaPer/Navy man! I'm enjoying the sweetness!
Anyone else made this switch in their pipe smoking careers?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In an earlier post, I posited that the aromatic, to English blends, to Virginia and Virginia Perique progression

was a standard tradition. Forums members didn't buy it so much, but a few agreed they'd gone this particular

path. I think I like to wrangle all three into the rotation. One tobacco sets off the other, and it surprises the

palette when you get back around to one type or the other of tobacco or blend. Plugs, rolls, and sliced does

involve me a little more with the preparation and packing, and if I have time, that's pleasant.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I don't have much experience with Navy flakes/rolls as of yet, but I'm working on it! Now to me, what constitutes a "Navy" flake or roll is that it must have a Virginia base, with some cavendish and a little burley (maybe), although I know that some have a tiny bit of Perique or Latakia in them, but in my opinion those are not necessary. That being said, the "Navy" blends I've had are McClelland Navy Cavendish Flake, Mac Baren Dark Twist, and Peterson University Flake. I might also add Mac Baren Roll Cake to that list, although it does have a tiny bit of Latakia in it, though it's not really perceptible to my taste. All of these are top quality blends that I enjoy on occasion. I don't smoke these regularly, as Va's are not exactly my thing, but these are growing slowly on me. On my Christmas list, I put Mac Baren Navy Flake and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, so I guess I'll have to wait and see if Santa brings those to me to try! Lol!
Oh by the way, I'm smoking some 2011 McC NCF right now!

pilotpuffer

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
natibo - I'm like you in that I am returning to pipe after a 5 year hiatus. I remain a fan of my primary English blend: Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. I recently experimented with Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake at my local tobaconnist's shop (John B. Hayes, Winchester, VA). So, I purchased 6 ozs.
I really like the taste, mildness - yet flavorful and without excess casings of the VA mixture. The rubbing out still remains fun to do among non-puffers.
I will try the Navy Flake based on your comments. Thanks!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a big fan of VaPer blends. Luxury Navy Flake and Escudo, as you mentioned, are among my favorites as well. You're definitely not alone.
You also mentioned GLP Navigator. My only advice would be to jar this one and let it sit for a year or so. You may want to try GLP Fillmore, which smokes a bit better young.
For a tangent on the "Navy" theme, try C&D Blockade Runner. Not a VaPer, but a true, old school Navy cavendish.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake, for the price, GOOD STUFF if I do say so myself...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well, I'm half way through my first bowl of Mac Baren "Navy Flake" right now, and I must say, I do belie this one's a winner! The tin is dated June 2013, I just popped it an hour or so ago, and let a flake dry about 30min. I used the "Z" pattern fold n' stuff method for packing, one good charring light, and one good true light and it's been nice and sweet! Now granted, I'm only half way through the first bowl, but man, this stuff is tasty and low maintenance so far! I believe it will get even better with more age in the jar!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's always a great deal of discussion about what constitutes a true "navy" flake, as opposed to just a flake or roll. The general consensus among veteran pipe guys seems to be that it is a rum topping. I enjoy an occasional tin of Gawith Navy Flake, which adds latakia.
In an earlier post, I posited that the aromatic, to English blends, to Virginia and Virginia Perique progression was a standard tradition.
This seems to be pretty much the way things work. It doesn't necessarily mean that you stop smoking other types, just that your tastes broaden. :puffy:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Anyone else made this switch in their pipe smoking careers?
Not so much a switch in my case as an addition - I still have a soft spot for Lane 1Q and H&H Vermont Meat Candy, but I tried Latakia blends relatively early on, and I'm currently exploring Va/Per blends, along with some codger Burleys.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
If navy flakes are characterized by a rum topping, I am going to be reluctant to try them. My experience with Frog Morton In The Cellar (whiskey topped) was not favorable. The idea sounded great; the taste wasn't.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a big fan of the Dunhill Navy Rolls and am smoking a bowl as I type. Along with Escudo, Solani 633 and Samuel Gawith St James Flake, they are the only Vapers I smoke. I love all four and smoke usually at least one a day of my 4-5 bowls. I would smoke a ton more vapers if I could handle the Red Virginia's in them, but since I cannot I am relegated to my four. I have tried probably 30 other vapers in my time smoking and loved the flavors of a great many but they bite me bad due to the reds. I used to love Haddo's Delight but could not handle the bite, that is one of the greatest vapers out there in my opinion. McClellend and Rattrays also makes a multitude of great ones if you can smoke the reds.
johnparker, Rotary Navy Cut is my favorite rum topped Va Flake as the topping is done lightly. My second favorite is Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake followed by GL Peaase Navigator as my third favorite bends with rum. The Navigator could use a year as it is a tad rough due to the Kentucky in it but I still enjoy it fresh.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Don't listen to beginners like Cigrmaster. He's sitting on several pounds of crabgrass and Mixture 79. :nana:
But, he is right. Just don't tell anybody! 8O
Merry Christmas to ya, Harris! :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, you know full well that every experienced pipe smoker prays at the alter that is Mixture 79. It is the be all and end all when it comes to pipe tobacco. Anyone not smoking this glorious blend is a neophyte and should be relegated to smoking nothing but those cheap Chinese cobs. Time to load up some 79. :nana:
Have a great Christmas Jim.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Harris: Glory Hallelujah to the Mixture 79 altar! So I speakth with scortched tongue!!! Eyowwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well, I just finished my second bowl of Mac Baren Navy Flake, and out of my limited experience with Virginias, this one is now definitely in my top five! It's had several days in the jar now, and it's now even better than the first go around! I've developed a real liking for Mac Baren blends in general here lately. So far I've had Dark Twist, Burley London Blend, Roll Cake, Plum Cake, Navy Flake, HH Highland Blend, and Honey & Chocolate. The only ones that I haven't exactly fell in love with are Burley London and Plum Cake, but they are still decent baccys none the less!
This last bowl of Navy Flake was smoked in a Nording "Special Rustic" 1/8 bent ball, a pipe which I've had for quite some time, but smoked very little. I had previously smoked a few aros and some burley out of it, but it performed magnificently with the Navy Flake, therefore it is now a dedicated Va pipe!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Wife got me a lot of goodies for cgristmas. Including 30oz of newminsters superior rolls. And hot damn are they tasty. 2 little coins in a small grabow lasted me 40 minutes. And the aftertaste is something I really like as well. Looking forward to seeing how it ages.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
I recently acquired some Capstan Blue Navy Flake. While I haven't tried the ready rubbed, I am really impressed by this flake. The presentation is perfect in thickness, cut, and moisture. It can be folded and smoked immediately, down to the ash, and with minimal effort. It's fantastic.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I thought I was losing my taste for Escudo. But I decided to clean out the pipe that I had used to smoke about half the tin, and it was filthy! Haven't had a bowl of it since, but am looking forward to it again :)
Quick question: if a true Navy Flake is topped with rum, wouldn't that make it an aromatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.