PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2012
Wife finally gave in and we're getting a a new fridge (putting curent one in garage). no more stink eye for getting the 24 cases at costco ("no room for the kids' milk" - whatever!), now I can have a "cellar" for beer too woo hoo! So, does backy do well in the fridge?

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Congrats on the beer fridge, but keep your baccy FAR away from it. Since refrigerators moved past the ice-box point, they have been built with anti-frost mechanisms. Ever notice how if you slice an apple and leave it in the refrigerator, they turn brown and withered? The same thing happens to your tobacco. It will suck out all the moisture from your tobacco. So, crack a beer and brainstorm a better place for your baccy. :puffy:

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Good on you, and good luck with it staying a beer only fridge, tried that and lost the battle, when we bought a new fridge, I did and thought the same thing, moved it into the garage and was thinking man what a space for beer and more beer, it took a week that my beer was relegated to one shelf and the rest was stuffed with all the crap that did not fit in the house fridge, and the wife said "you only need one shelf for a case", my reply of one case of this brand and one case for that brand just got me the "stink eye". Best of luck, but you know what they say, the best laid plans.....

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
As was mentioned, the fridge is bad news for your tobacco. I just keep mine in a closed wooden wine box raised a few feet off the floor where it is at the normal humidity, shielded from light, and at a constant temperature... I don't know if that's the "proper" way to do it but so far, so good... I've never had a problem with mold or spoiled tobacco in the past 2 years.
As for a beer fridge being a cellar, if you intend to store beer for the long term then you are better off leaving it at room temperature or just a few degrees cooler. (You may just have been jesting about that, but a lot of people actually age beer - myself included!) Keeping it in a refrigerator will slow the maturation process and it will also wreak havoc on any beer that is corked... I'd recommend that you store beer in a cool, dark place that is free of vibration and traffic. Constant temperature is again a must... Also, it is only stronger beers that are cellar-worthy such as imperial stouts, barleywines, Belgian quadrupels, and the like. (The darker beers will generally last longer than lighter ones of the same strength.)

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I tried the freezer once and figured like cigs it'll stay fresh...I was wrong... an entire oz. aside from 1 bowl was so dry it was like drift wood.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Not only that it'll probably take on the smells of whatever is in the fridge... Onion or garlic blend, anyone?
Tobacco will last for ages if it is stored properly at room temperature so there's no need for special set ups like refrigeration. As has been noted, it'll do far more harm than good.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I don't have a full fridge, just a mini fridge for mine. Sad face. But, it still holds the locals. And the pilsners I buy at the wine store do just fine on the shelf behind it. I have no input on the tobacco though, as I've never even thought of storing it in a fridge.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I had a full size fridge come with the garage that came with the new place we bought a couple years ago. Nothing like having an extra fridge to keep the cold ones in.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I had to smile when I read your post. In this house it is my wife who fridges the beers.She drinks Belgian Stella Artois whereas I drink English Ale which is not fridged :lol:
Tom

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah my wish list contains a keg fridge and tap in the garage. It will happen! I don't like beer either hobie, but hard cider now that is worth a kegerator.

Status
Not open for further replies.