PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
My Father's Day gift arrived Thursday; I'm just getting around to posting it. Thus far I love it!
w1yscLh.jpg

I chose matte black because it won't look dirty so quickly like the chrome does. The heft and feel are great. I read they have made the finish 5 times more durable but it'll be "living" in a leather case from Xikar. Speaking of which, about an hour before the mail brought my new lighter my Xikar Pipeline quit on me; the flint wheel housing was loose and finally the wheel seized. It's on it's way to them for repair now.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Hi, Bradley!
Yes, it's me; older, "stouter", grayer, and back around again after a long spell. I've had some health issues and haven't been on the forums much the last 18 months or so. I also have all but given up leather work. But it's still me. :puffy:
I will tell him; he talks about you quite often. He's still not carving since his accident; I'd hoped he would have gotten over that but not yet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great looker, your lighter. I got an Old Boy at the Chicago Pipe Show, and it's chromed. It's as shiny as the day I got her, and I don't see a problem with keeping her clean, ever. What problem have you had with keeping chrome clean?
Now, learning to use it is a whole 'nother can of worms for me. I know it won't light if adjusted too low, nor too high. And to bleed it and put premium butane in. But I still have troubles!

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Not a big fan of Corona, but this one looks beautiful.. I like the matte black finish.. enjoy it :)

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
You, sir, deserve it!
Just as a PSA, my IM Corona Laurel is mat black. I got that for the same reasons you got yours. The finish comes off the edges pretty quick. Rugged men like us call that patina! You will be giving it to your kids!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Great looker, your lighter. I got an Old Boy at the Chicago Pipe Show, and it's chromed. It's as shiny as the day I got her, and I don't see a problem with keeping her clean, ever. What problem have you had with keeping chrome clean?

I have a chrome Xikar Pipeline, too, as mentioned above. The entire top arm and cap get blackened with soot from use. It can be cleaned with pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and saliva (or alcohol) but is IMHO a pain. The matte black won't show that.
I love the look and texture of this lighter; it's already become my favorite. And I'll be proud to pass it along one day with some "patina" on it! :lol:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great looking lighter....
But as to soot on the arm and cap, you might want to change how you hold it over the pipe. I get no soot on the arm.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
But as to soot on the arm and cap, you might want to change how you hold it over the pipe. I get no soot on the arm.

I think it's from the flame "hole" rotating on its own; I've read others have this problem. I use a small pair of needle nosed pliers to rotate it back every so often but it ends up rotating away every time. I sent it off to Xikar (should be there tomorrow) for other repairs so hopefully they'll resolve that, too.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Here's what I was referring to about the chrome getting dirty. It's actually kind of hard to get a good photo of the soot but this gives you a good idea anyway.

yeqfmx5.jpg

What problem have you had with keeping chrome clean?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great choice for a lighter. Do your self a favor, every 5-6 years send it to the factory to have the seals and gaskets replaced. I have one Old Boy that is over 16 years old and it works like brand new.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Got the same one this summer and i alredy

Plan to get a second one!

They just feels great in the hand and the built in tamper is really nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.