Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Then I guess I'm joining you with Black Frigate in a Weaver volcano. :mrgreen:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got my MM Freehand loaded to the top with Chestnut. Happy WNTD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_No_Tobacco_Day

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Just to show us there's nothing new in this world.
How Did the Spanish Inquisition Punish Rodrigo de Jerez for Smoking?
# Today is World No Tobacco Day! The title of the day is, admittedly, a bit unimpressive. We think of being opposed to smoking as a recent thing, but it isn't. King James I called smoking a "stinking custom," which was better than the Turkish Sultan and the Shah of Persia who killed their citizens for smoking. Rodrigo de Jerez and Luis de Torres were two explorers who, in Cuba, observed natives smoking dried tobacco wrapped in plants "in the manner of a musket formed of paper." They liked the habit and brought it back to Europe and are credited by some with introducing that stinking custom to the whole continent. De Jerez's habit of blowing smoke from his mouth and nose came off as frightening and satanic, and he received seven years in prison. Now that's an anti-smoking campaign.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
At work right now but when I get home I'm planning on "celebrating" WNTD with my first pipe purchase (nearly 50 years ago) an Iwan Ries bent Dublin with some aged VaPer.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Awesome!! Celebrating now with my first bowl of the day. WooHoo!! :twisted:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What day is it? Was it? 'Must'a missed it. Balkan 957, PC/HH Chestnut, McB's Latakia Flake...maybe some Semois. Moderation in all things.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Like mso said: "moderation in all things", but I wouldn't have known about this day if not for this thread.
So here's the deal, I smoke every Sunday. It's not that I don't smoke on other days, but almost always on Sunday, as I usually take a break from whatever else I have going on the rest of the week. No apologizes here, just my choice, so feel free to exercise your choice too. :puffy:

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Whew, I thought I had missed it! Condor ready Rubbed in my Meerschaum Billiard gifted to me by dear friend Simon!
Eric

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Got my MM Country Gentleman with churchwarden stem from Walker Briar Works (his "Forever Stem" business went through a change of hands a few days ago, not really sure where it will be accessible going forward), just had a good hour-long smoke with H&H Mt. Marcy. The taste is simply amazing, with nicely-balanced latakia, sweet orientals, and tasty virginias, not ruined by any of that damned, biting perique which has made too many otherwise great blends hard to enjoy.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
F9puGACm.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I never got the memo. Sorry about that but there's a high probability I wouldn't have felt any real need to participate anyway. So I guess I'll just fire up another bowl of Piccadilly and ponder my wickedness.

disciplewalk

Lurker
Jan 2, 2015
Pondering what all this means while smoking yet another bowl of Midnight (Tender Box - Black Cavendish)...

Status
Not open for further replies.