PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I finished up Bilbo's Gift last night. I have worked on it off and on over the last year. But with my new shop set up the inspiration just took off this week. It is number 10 for me and it is the first one that I have made solely for myself. It is Morta with a Sterling silver ring and mother of pearl lucite stem. The idea for this pipe came from The Lord of the Rings. Normally churchwardens are imagined because of Gandalf, but my inspiration comes from Bilbo. Towards the end of the book Bilbo gives two pipes to Merry and Pippin. They were made by the elves and they had pearl mouthpieces. I chose morta and silver with the pearl, because the livery of Gondor is black and silver. This was a pipe of firsts for me. I had never used an accent before, never set a delrin tenon in a Rod blank before, and never used morta before. The Morta block and pearl rod blank came from Steve Norse of Vermont Freehand. I had our own Cosmicfolklore make me the silver piece for the shank. I shaped the pipe by hand and also drilled it freehand Danish style. I've tried to do the method where you glue little pieces of wood to the pipe and use the pin to guide it, but I find that just holding it in my hand works just as well especially with my new lathe. Here are some pics of the pipe and me smoking the first bowl which was Escudo aged 12 years. It smoked wonderfully and I couldn't be more pleased!

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
wow!! love the inspiration behind the pipe, it is a beautiful pice of work, the morta and the pearl stem compliment each other very well, how long did it took you to create the pipe?

Jan 8, 2013
Wonderful! I love the thought you put into it, with The Lord Of The Rings. It truly looks to me like a pipe any hobbit would be proud to smoke. Well done. :clap:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
This pipe probably took me about 15 hours from block and rod to pipe. But with other projects and moving due to a new job it got set aside. Now I have a new shop set up that is super organized with all of my tools accessible. I'm ready to rock.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice Dave !! I really like white stems ! Why do you have the Chief's lighter? :lol:

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
Very nice! And I'd like to thank you for basing a pipe off of Tolkien's writings, as opposed to those God-awful films ;-) I'm one of those nerds who reads LOTR about once a year. I think you captured the essence of Middle Earth!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ed: My best friends father was a Chief Master Sgt in the Air Force. When he died I went up for his funeral. He was like a second father to me. His mom asked me if there was anything of his that I wanted. He was a smoker so I asked if he had any special lighters, so they gave me the zippo. I put a z-pipe insert in it and it is my main pipe lighter. I'm honored every time I use it. He was a great man.
Jvnshr: not sure what you mean by small holes. I use a 1/8 drill bit for my draft holes. I have one that is 6 inches long.
Reverendsasquatch: Yeah I am a purist too. I did enjoy the movies for the most part. But there were things that were changed that shouldn't have been in my opinion. I have the books on cd and have listened through them at least 30 times. Never gets old to me. My next pipe project is going to be a churchwarden for myself.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It must be exceedingly gratifying to smoke from your own unique creation. Looks great!
You sure look like you're enjoying it in your pic. Congratulations!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ed: My best friends father was a Chief Master Sgt in the Air Force. When he died I went up for his funeral. He was like a second father to me. His mom asked me if there was anything of his that I wanted. He was a smoker so I asked if he had any special lighters, so they gave me the zippo. I put a z-pipe insert in it and it is my main pipe lighter. I'm honored every time I use it. He was a great man.

That's cool ! Figured it might be something like that !

Status
Not open for further replies.