PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Soooooo. I've been calling it LAT-KEY-AH...

Tis actually LAT-ah-KEY-ah
My inability to read is holding me back...
I'm a dope!
Ps: I pay some rando I found in the parking lot to type my posts...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Would you consider yourself one of the biggest idiots in the known universe, or just a run of the mill idiot?
(In the meantime, I'm waiting to see which way Warren goes on this.)

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Out of habit I call it LOT-a-keeya, whether its 'right' or 'wrong.' Texans and Saskatchewanians pronounce many words differently, it doesn't mean its wrong.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You did the homework! Good on ya! At least we know that you are not a total IDIOT as your priorities appear correct.
Might I ask, did you have the smoke stack going full heat as you studied? That in itself would put the lie to you being an IDIOT. An idiot maybe, but most certainly not an IDIOT. Schmuck? Maybe, but not an IDIOT. So quit being so hard on yourself, read a comic or two, you owe it to yourself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't worry too much about mispronunciation. New words, interesting words, words you've read but not

heard pronounced, words that are pronounced in odd ways in your area or family, and so forth. Anyone who

wants to shame others about a botched pronunciation has a problem themselves. If you know the right way

to pronounce it (or think you do) just say it quietly in a non-prejudicial way to the person who got it wrong,

and either they'll pick up on it or not. Their call. Who's an idiot? Everyone, several times a day, or they lie.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I actually didn't smoke during the homework ! It was Spanish and highly interactive vocally... I still haven't mastered the art of speaking with a pipe yet... My favorite thing to do whilst smoking is crossword puzzles actually. I know it's totally boring to most put I'm addicted to the damn things!

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I've always pronounced it LatAkia, emphasis on the second syllable.

But as long as we all know what we're talking about. No-one ever says Himalayas correctly- emphasis in Pali is on the second syllable, himALayas.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Love the crosswords. I do NYT crossword in ink every day. Of course doing it in ink means that some of the letters are very hard to read being over written more than once or twice. Not boring at all as far as I'm concerned, keeps the brain agile!
I've always heard the range pronounced as the him-AL-ayaz. I suspect the correct pronunciation is dependent on where you hail from and the local dialects. Unless of course you are trying to emulate a Nepali. Nepal is only one of five countries with physical connections with the range. Unless you count all of the ranges as Himalayas.
I think you are absolutely right though. As long as the message gets across you are doing all right. No-one wants to appear the dunce, but I think regional dialects always trump the OED and other dictionaries. Unless of course you have graduated from one of the many universities that are convinced that they, and only they, are the true arbiter of what is correct.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Two big damned grins in this thread:
MSO for "Who's an idiot? Everyone, several times a day, or they lie."
and Warren for "I do NYT crossword in ink every day. Of course doing it in ink means that some of the letters are very hard to read being over written more than once or twice."
Terrific!
Fnord

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
Lah-Tah-KEY-Ah

Lat-a-ky-ah

Lat-ah-Key-a

Potato-Tomato... it all smokes the same... the people with whom and to whom you are speaking will know what you mean...and if they feel the need to correct you... well then you should speak with someone else...

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
LOL! I find being perceived as an idiot has it's uses. Which is a good job as my wife, children, grandchildren, staff, bosses and many others subscribe to that view. I'd like to say that one day I'll disabuse them of the notion but often find myself in quiet agreement!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.