PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
But not really, I have lots of good tobacco to smoke.
The US Postal Service lost (or allowed to be stolen) my Yanik meerschaum:
5xU32.jpg

And for all I know, that's the closest I'll ever get to it!
I live in Pleasanton, CA ... some few hundred miles north of Santa Clarita, CA ... here's the tracking details:
RR164611759TR
Depart USPS Sort Facility

August 09, 2012

SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383

Registered Mail™
Processed through USPS Sort Facility

August 09, 2012, 11:36 pm

SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383
Processed Through Sort Facility

August 05, 2012, 2:36 pm

ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)
Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Processed Through Sort Facility

August 01, 2012, 12:15 pm

ISTANBUL, TURKEY
Acceptance

July 27, 2012, 7:20 pm

TURKEY
Here's to hoping it's just lost ... now begins the long drawn out process of getting the seller to contact the USPS and start an investigation into the matter ... which I figure they will get around to sometime in between wiping their ass and hitting the flush handle. But maybe I'll luck out.
I *think* eBay buyer protection covers me in this case, but I'm not sure. The seller already claims no responsibility for lost packages.
Storient, you might just be getting some of my hard earned $$$ after all ...

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I was under the influence that the seller is responsible for all shipments. If for some reason they don't insure something and it gets lost and damaged, it comes out of their pocket. I'll look into it, though. That's a good lookin' pipe, though. Too bad.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
And I'm stationed about 100 miles south of you right now. Maybe by some luck the pipe ends up at my doorstep, eh?

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
which I figure they will get around to sometime in between wiping their ass and hitting the flush handle
:rofl:
Seriously, that's a nice pipe. Hope you'll finally get it.
Crazy thought (?): Do we have an USPS guy on the forums?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Ouch! That is a pretty pipe. Amazing how it was lost as it neared the end of it's journey. Good luck, my friend, I hope it turns up.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
The USPS fellow I talked to seemed quite conscientious actually. I'm a courier, and I don't lose the mail, so ... well I could get pissed off at them I suppose if I wanted to but it wouldn't do any good.
It's a bummer, I knew you guys would sympathize. :puffy:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Well I refuse to get down about it, but I was indeed looking forward to trying a meerschaum and particularly from this master carver Yanik.

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
This sucks. I was just about to post how Registered Mail takes a little while longer due to the required "chain of custody" being signed for at each transfer spot BUT then I noted the dates of the last tracking exchange. I wouldn't think it would take THAT long. Hopefully there was some insurance involved and that this can be made right for you.
Respects,

B

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Did you get insurance? or was it offered? I never get it, but being from another country, I would of thought about it...I would rally look into the ebay buyer protection of maybe theres something about international transactions that covered...
Sorry for your loss...

Hopefully they find it...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'm pretty sure if you don't have insurance, you have zero coverage on the item, when getting a nice item that is expensive I always get insurance because it costs a dollar in most cases.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a tough break -- a real frustration. I know, I've been in a similar situation,

but fortunately it was with a retailer (a PM.com sponsor, BTW), and they "ate" the loss.

I hope this works out for you. Trouble is, as a unique piece, it's replaceable, but not recoverable.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
The real issue with USPS is that 'some person' scanned your package so there is no one to go talk to and that leaves no responsibility. UPS and FedEx use scanners that are checked out by the carriers, so they know who to go back to and ask, 'where did it go'? This, I think, makes people more accountable and they do their job better. I have seen postal workers at their worst, long ago I drove a mail tractor trailer. Sometimes if it missed the sorting bin, o-well, it didn't make it. I am not slamming all postal workers, but I, have seen this in action. No accountability = no reason to care.
Too bad brother, I could see that good looking pipe on my shelf. I hope you get another.
Just my 2P.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Yanik always has this on this auctions and I never understood it. I assume it means he will not insure the package for the $18 shipping cost.
WORLDWIDE $18 we send registered via Turkish Post Service.Our customers receive the package by signing a form from the postman. We don't send packages as insurance.We ship the items within 24 hours after the auction has ended.Weekends and holidays excluded.
I would say you are covered under eBay's buyer protection even though it wasn't Yanik's fault. I wouldn't give up on it though. You don't have to get mad but I would certainly pursue every avenue to getting some sort of recourse. Good luck. Don't forget that postcard that was mailed 60 years ago finally showed up at it's destination earlier this year. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
With ebay buyer protection and if you paid with paypal, I would think you will get your money back. Registered mail means it has to be signed for so since it wasn't there is proof you don't have it. I ordered a pipe from England and it got hung up for over a month, it finally showed up right after I opened an investigation with Ebay. Do not give up, go through every resource to get your money back. My package was not insured, but was sent registered like yours and I had no worries about getting my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.