PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
What do you all think of these three pipes and which do you think is the best buy for the money?
Am I crazy to spend this much on a pipe?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/dunhill/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=130278
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/dunhill/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=130172
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/dunhill/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=130171

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Yes , There are plenty of US carvers who will make you a custom pipe for less money. Dunhill pipes are good pipes but they are in my opinion not even the best factory pipes. I have 4 Dunhill's and while they are good smokers I would not buy them again. Have Clark Leyton , Wayne Teipen , or Bruce Weaver make you a billiard. If you are looking at size 3-4 billiards like the pipes you linked you should come in under the price of the Dunhill's.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not a huge Dunhill fan, but the ones that I have are all good performers. All of mine are 1960's or earlier. Were I to go a'hunting, I'd be looking for pipes from that time frame, roughly 1968 and earlier. They had some spectacular briar at that time. I think that you will get more bang for the buck.
Bottom line, if the pipe is worth the money to you then go ahead. Doesn't matter what I think. But since you're asking, that's my take.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Yes , There are plenty of US carvers who will make you a custom pipe for less money. Dunhill pipes are good pipes but they are in my opinion not even the best factory pipes. I have 4 Dunhill's and while they are good smokers I would not buy them again. Have Clark Leyton , Wayne Teipen , or Bruce Weaver make you a billiard. If you are looking at size 3-4 billiards like the pipes you linked you should come in under the price of the Dunhill's.
Thanks a bunch. I have artisan pipes by Tim West and Randy Wiley. I'll check out the carvers you suggested. I have heard good things about Teipen and Weaver, unfamiliar with Leyton but will check him out.
Hearing from someone who has purchased and smoked Dunhill pipes is exactly what I was hoping for.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I'm not a huge Dunhill fan, but the ones that I have are all good performers. All of mine are 1960's or earlier. Were I to go a'hunting, I'd be looking for pipes from that time frame, roughly 1968 and earlier. They had some spectacular briar at that time. I think that you will get more bang for the buck.
Bottom line, if the pipe is worth the money to you then go ahead. Doesn't matter what I think. But since you're asking, that's my take.
Thanks Sable,
Again, I appreciate the input from Dunhill smokers.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I really enjoyed the 6 dunhill pipes I had before my break in smoking. I really wish I had kept them. I really enjoy the English pipes and working on rebuilding my collection. You should also look into Northern Briars, Ferndown, Ashton, and Askwith pipes. They are great English pipes that will rival the Dunhills. Watch ebay as unsmoked adunhills can be had for reasonable prices. If I could find new pipes exactly like the Dunhill 5108's I had, I would have no problem spending 500 to 800 on each. I truly loved those pipes.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Thanks Tarheel,
I will check out the other English makers you mentioned.
As an aside, I spent two years in Winston-Salem while in grad school at Wake Forest. I went to school with and remain friends with many UNC grads, great school with wonderful alumni.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Forum member, Mike Glukler from "Briar Blues" online retailer just listed a ton of Duhill shells on his "Coming Soon" page:

http://www.briarblues.com/bench.htm

For my money, I'd rather have an older Dunhill and get about 3:1 vs. new. Mike and Briar Blues have a fantastic reputation, similar to SmokingPipes, but a bit more personal. Check out those offerings and contact Mike if you have any interest in a particular shape/size.

My Dunhill money would go to an estate at Briar Blues, in a heartbeat.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Of the ones you show; the black shell. A beautiful pipe. However, + 1 to the comments above about artisans and the other British marques. They might not have the cachet of Dunhill, but they have excellent performance. For example, the Northern Briars Dublin I'm currently smoking (with Bald Headed Teacher) is a far better smoker than any of my Dunhills.
EEJuhpf.jpg

Andy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Great advice here from the others. I also believe that older Dunhills are the way to go. I have 2 and they are OK smokers. The top one in the photo below is a 1930's that was my grandfather's and the second in a Red Bark from the early to mid 1970's.

Lately I've been buying pipes made by Dan Chlebove of Gabrieli Pipes (Bethlehem, Pa) this bulldog is the latest and it is wonderful. For the money you are looking to spend you could commission a pipe made to your specifications and have plenty left over to by a lot of tobacco. Food for thought.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think Dunhill's are vastly overpriced in terms of what you get in return. That said, if you do go with SPC, call them as I have heard they deal a bit on the price. You can also get a five percent discount if you are a member of NASPC* and they have your card on file.
However, I would go with the shell. They feel better in the hand, smoke a bit cooler and will hold up better to the dings if you take the pipe out and about. Try to avoid any Dunhill's from the late 90's to early 2000's. Quality and the briar was not as good during those years.
*North American Society of Pipe Collectors naspc.org. A digital membership is $10 a year so you would recoup your costs on just the one purchase plus get a nicely done newsletter six times a year.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bo if you are just buying a pipe for Smokeability and want good performance and save a few bucks and still stay in England. Try A Savory estate, I have 7, 9 Dunhills and the Savorys rival and some surpass the Dunhills, Willmer is an other fine brand. As for carvers, ones I have tried and have been satisfied with is Todd Harris, Ryan Alden, and one I have not tried but have a Commision with is Clark Layton. Our own Layinpipe aka Corey has provided the testimonial on Clark and it is all good. You don't have to spend big bucks to get a good pipe.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've never bought a new Dunhill. All of mine are from the 60's and 70's except for a 1935. I never paid more than $250 except my just acquired 1962 birth year pipe. The 1935 one I got for $160 and is my best Dunhill. Ebay is where I got most of them. Some will say don't buy them there but if you do your homework you can get them for a fair price. No need to spend $5-600 for one.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hi Boiler
I agree with everyone who has posted about your quest for a Dunhill. I own 4 or 5, all bought on the estate market.
I think everyone in their lifetime should own or try out at least one Dunhill, for no other reason than to have the experience of having the most well known manufacturer of pipes that there ever was. To have that knowledge in your belt, so to speak, is worth it alone.
Having said that, I rarely smoke the Dunhills that I own. I am fortunate to not being one to have bought a new one at the very high prices that they are going for now.
I very much doubt I will ever buy one again. And, I'm considering selling some that I have.
They are not bad pipes at all. But for the money, the estate market (Briarblues.com) and the other sellers can offer a pre-owned Dunhill at 1/2 or less of the current market. And, as some have said, these newer model Dunhills just don't make it like the pre 1960's.
The new carvers out there are producing some amazing pipes. Just read along the forum and you will learn the names of so many of these carvers that, IMHO, are far worth the same money as a new Dunhill.
However, if your heart is set on owning a new one, well, I can certainly understand that.
Good Luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think all of us who don't own Dunhills feel like we are living in sin, but dollar for dollar, I might choose

another Ser Jacopo or a Castello, or an artisan carver pipe. For the money, I could buy five or six pipes

from one of my favorite carvers who lives in the country and works in Mountain Laurel as well as briar.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've spoken above about Dunhills since that is what you wanted to talk about. Now I'll say if you want one get one that is all that matters. I have several Ser Jacapos, Castellos, higher grade Petes but my Ashtons are the best pipe for the money. What Dunhills use to be and should be today but sadly aren't.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I can't imagine spending that much on a pipe, but hey, I'm only months into the hobby.

You can buy a lot of cool things for even the cost of the cheapest pipe you picked out.

To put things into perspective, the very last class I need to finish out my associate degree this coming semester is $383.00 plus the registration fee. Those pipes cost more than a 4 credit college class at my school.

There is certainly something to be said about quality and craftsmanship in this world, but in my opinion there are a lot better things to spend money on.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Ashton is great for the money.
For Dunhill prices, get a Castello. IMO. I've had bad luck with Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.