Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

I'm a Very New Pipe Smoker

(50 posts)
  1. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I'm a beginner and picked up the pipe on the 11th. I'm kicking the cigarette habit and starting the pipe hobby. My husband says my little briar is much sexier than the cigs ever where. I've been reading on the net that you need more than one pipe, but I cant afford to get a second one until next month. Is it bad to smoke it everyday? I do clean it out every morning with pipe cleaners and it tastes great once I get it lit. I really like it so much better than the cigs and don't want to buy anymore of those. Thanks for your advice!

A smile will always keep them guessing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome

I too Im new and became a pipe smoker for just about the same reasons you did. First things you'll notice is that you will be saving lots more money with pipe tobacco then cig's and you can get better quality stuff too.

ill just say what everyone else is going to tell you buy yourself a corn cob and smoke it to your hearts content this is enough so that your briar will get the rest it needs without you missing out on a relaxing smoke. and best part about it they are cheap.

you made a great choice chosen a pipe then another great choice joining this forum, But dont think your done with the choices lol you still have thousands of tobaccos to try. its a hell of a journey But im really enjoying it and im sure you will also.

Packing tips:

Fill bowl to the top very lightly pack it down to about half the bowl
    Fill it to the top again Lightly pack it down to 2/3rds of the bowl
    Fill to the top again Firmly pack it about 1/8th below the rim.
    Test your draw (should feel like drinking through a straw)

Lighting tips:

Use Matches or Butane lighter (easier)
    Light the top evenly and puff lightly until tobacco glows slightly and rises.
    STOP LIGHTING STOP PUFFING! lol
    use a tamper to flating out the top of the tobacco.

THIS ABOVE PROCEDURE IS CALLED "THE FALSE LITE" AND CAN BE DONE ONCE OR TWICE

After "False lite"

light the entire top of the tobacco evenly and puff away.
    Take light sips not like a cigarette you want it to keep burning evenly.

During Smoking Tips:

Smoke Slowly
    If bowl gets to hot to hold to your cheek then put it down to cool
    Dont worry if it goes out just relight it
    gently dump out the ashes once or twice
    and tamp down the tobacco as you go.

hope this all helps enjoy

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum -- and the hobby!

If you're going to smoke your pipe every day -- especially if you're enjoying multiple bowls every day -- then, yes, you really should add some pipes to your collection. Ideally, you'd smoke a different pipe each day and give them each about a week to "rest." That way, they have the chance to dry out, which, in the long run, will help them to maintain their good smoking traits and will also help to ensure that they last a lifetime.

That said, a lot of folks here are big fans of corncob pipes. Which are exactly what they sound like: pipes made out of dried/cured corncobs. They won't last forever. . . but they can be had for about $10/each. A few cobs would help you get acclimated to pipe smoking and would certainly help to carry you through until you can afford to add to your collection. (Keep in mind, too, that you can get some great-smoking briar pipes for under $50 -- maybe even way under. I still smoke an $8 no-name briar pipe I bought in 1980. . . and it's wonderful.)

Missouri Meerschaum is the name of the company known for quality corncob pipes.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. Some people may smoke 1 pipe often but it is best to have a rest day or longer between smokes. That way the pipe dries out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on Bob's post!

Corncob would be a great way to get you thru 'till you can get another briar!

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

You really do need more than one pipe, as rotating and resting them will make them last for years longer. But we all started on one pipe. And, as our tastes in shapes and qualities changed, that first pipe may have eventually faded from the daily rotation.

If you oversmoke a pipe it will inevitably get soggy, and likely even go over into sour. Which is a disaster. But do not worry about it too much, as even the most over-used pipe can be restored to sweetness by applying the salt treatment, which is detailed elsewhere on this site as well as in various articles on the internet> Basically using kosher salt filled into the bowl with a few drops of liquor added to make it pull the tars and cooked in gunk out of the wood. You've put a pipe-cleaner into the shank before starting. After a day's rest you can repeat this, but the final part is removing the salt, rinsing the bowl with liquor (I use whatever whisky I'm drinking), and then running pipe-cleaners moistened with liquor through the stem and shank till they come out clean, which may take a quite considerable number of cleaners. After this rest the pipe for a week. You'll be surprised at how clean and sweat it will taste.

I still have one of my first pipes, bought in 1975. I smoked it last night, and it was glorious. And bear in mind that I had overused the crap out of it, and you could smell it from a room away. The salt treatment and subsequent shank-cleaning with alcohol brought it back from the dead. It is no longer a rotting corpse, but a very fine little smoke.

Now, how many pipes do you need? Or differently put, what is the minimum number that you should have?
    At least one more than the number of times you smoke a pipe per day.
    So over time you should work up to at least three or four. When I was sixteen I got by with about eight, only one of which I still have (see mention above), and bear in mind that pipe-smoking is perfect for neurotic packrats, so the urge to buy another pipe, just one more, will keep cropping up.
    Note also that second-hand pipes can be well-worth smoking. Untill you've got tons of experience, don't do anything about the dings and scratches, just use the salt treatment on the inside (do NOT get the alcohol on the finish), and hand-rub the stem with a very fine paste-polish to remove the oxidation.

In the meantime, enjoy your pipe, and don't worry about the details. It will all come together over time.
    Welcome to the ranks. And I'm looking forward to seeing yoou on the forums.

-----ATBOTH
    Boring wafflegab about tobacco.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I'll have to find a corn cob pipe then. It should be fun to pick one out. There's so much to learn!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome eibhir! Lately we've been seeing more and more women on this forum - and we're all the better for it.

When it comes to briars, it won't really hurt the pipe exactly, mainly it can affect the taste and enjoyment. I am still new at this, and I was doubtful about the resting time required (many say 5-7 days after use), but I am now a believer.

The other alternative besides corn cobs are Meerschaum pipes. They offer cool smokes and don't require the resting time briars need.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I updated my previous post with some helpful tips hope you find them useful.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Eibhir, welcome to PM Forums!

Yep, getting more pipes for a rotation, cleaning a pipe thoroughly after every bowlful, and allowing them to dry properly between smokes is a recipe for success in this hobby.

You may want to consider getting the Missouri Meeerschaum Grab bag seconds -- 10 smokable corn cobs for $30: http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

You could rotate your cobs at home and keep your briar (until the budget allows for more briars) for going out, should you so choose. Cobs are great smoking pipes and at $3 each, that's less than the cost of 8 cigarettes (in my State, anyway).

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The guys above are right. Smoking a pipe non-stop and with the ferocity of an ex-cig smoker will enevitably do bad things to the pipe.

But for now, since you're getting over cigs, I say smoke the bejesus out of it until you get a few pipes which will enable you to rest them for a few days. I wouldn't fear any short term damage as long as you are careful controlling the temp of the pipe.

Some rest the pipe at LEAST 1 day, others let rest 1 day for every bowl smoked out of it...

3 bowls smoked that day = 3 days rest. You'll find what works for you soon enough.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome eibhir! I'll second the cobs. Also you can buy some new pipes for under $30.00 new. Medico.Kaywoodie,Dr.Grabow and others. I wouldn't buy any expensive pipes until you are sure you want to stay with pipe smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

The other alternative besides corn cobs are Meerschaum pipes. They offer cool smokes and don't require the resting time briars need.

+1 Those are my favorite. As long as you run a cleaner through them after each smoke, you can smoke 6 bowls a day in a Meer, no problem. Overnight rest is about as much as they need unless you smoke all six bowls back to back continuously. Meers are cool and dry and provide a "clean" flavor profile to the tobacco. They also turn all sorts of colors.

Another cheaper alternative is a clay pipe. They are only $7-10 and provide a cool dry smoke (the bowl gets very hot, though, so hold by the stem).

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome. You will get great advice here. I have been slowly weaning myself off cigarettes for the past several months and haven't had one now in several days. So I understand exactly where you are at.

Some advice based on my experience, for what it's worth:

- You will definitely need a goodly number of pipes. This is particularly true with cigarette smokers simply because we are used to smoking so often and have so many "triggers" we need to be prepared for. Smoking your pipe over and over again, daily, repeatedly, will lead to a less enjoyable smoking experience and can ruin the pipe. Clearly money is an issue for most of us. My advice as you build your briar collection over time, as already stated above, is to pick up as many cobs as you can afford. My experience with the basic cob has not been good. However, I have found the Country Gent to perform very well, hold up under frequent smoking, and develop a nice cake. An excellent upgrade to the CG cob is a Foreverstem. Google it.

- Tobacco-wise, I've found VaPers seem to eliminate my urge to smoke cigarette tobacco. Not sure if it's the perique, or the overall strength/flavor, the nic hit, or what. But that's what did it for me. Early on here a member recommended GL Pease's Haddo's Delight and Cairo (a VaPer/Oriental). Those turned out to be solid recommendations and I would absolutely recommend them for someone trying to quit cigarettes. Escudo is another one that made it much easier to walk away from rolling tobacco.

- As you are first weaning yourself off cigarettes, don't feel like you need to smoke the whole bowl every time you light up a pipe. You can have a few puffs, get your fix, and then set it aside. You can then pick it up and relight later when you feel the next urge. Virginias and Virginia blends are good in this regard as they seem to do well with setting aside and relighting.

- Smoking a pipe is difficult. I had no idea how difficult when I first started. Took me about a year and half to really get the hang of it and then my smoking experiences went to a whole new level. You can't just read about it and learn it. You just have to go through trial and error. Don't give up. It's well worth it. Please trust me on this. Be patient with yourself. Biggest problem for a cigarette smoker will be smoking too fast and too hot. If you find this is the case with you, I suggest avoiding (for now) shapes such as the Dublin, Zulu, tankard, etc. Opt for shapes with a lot of wood between the tobacco and your fingers - princes, apples, tomatoes, some pots, etc. They will hold up better under pressured smoking. As you develop your technique, lose the cigarette twitch, and slow down your smoking, you'll do better with taller, thinner shapes.

- Figure out a way to have your pipes and tobacco with you at all times. They don't help you quit smoking by sitting at home on a rack. Get a nice case/pouch. Have a pipe tool / tamper. Have matches. Otherwise you will give in and buy a pack of cigarettes when you are out running errands, on way home from work, etc.

- Don't be afraid to spend money on pipe smoking - on good pipes and (especially) good tobaccos. But also on accessories like cases/pouches (see above). Your experience will generally be better, and you'll be more inclined to stick with it if you have some money invested. I know that was a big driver for me. I couldn't live with myself having spent money on all this great tobacco if I was also buying rolling tobacco, papers, etc.

- Spend time on this forum. Even if you don't post. Lurk. Read. Immerse yourself in the hobby. Also spend a lot of time reading through the tobacco reviews on one of a handful of major review sites. There are literally thousands of reviews. Keep your mind focused on pipe smoking, the hobby, the history, terminology, etc. This will help keep you focused and away from cigarettes. Also read through articles, interviews, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep me posted on how you are doing. Maybe we can lean on each other.

-

-

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Great advice, Sothron! I might also reccommend nasal snuff for those trigger moments. Nasal snuff comes in a variety of flavors, is inexpensive and comes in convenient little boxes. It won't give you the mad rush of nicotine that a cig will, but it will be enough to get you through until you can sit and enjoy a pipe. A $5 tin will last even someone who takes snuff several times a day for a long time. I'm partial to Viking and Pöschl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

You all are giving me great advice! I only have $40 a month to spend on smoking so it'll take a while to stock up. I have been carrying my little pipe around in a zip lock bag and tobacco in another until I can find a bag I like for them. That seems to be working so far.
    Smokeybear, your packing method is great! Thanks for sharing. I'm only filling the bowl 1/2 right now though. That really helped it stay lit last time I went and puffed.
    Sothron, I have been picking it up and smoking a little then letting it go out to light again and that is working great. A bowl can last me for 3-4 hrs. Although now that I'm getting a bit better at lighting it I'm having trouble getting it out.
    Thanks Everybody!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pouch for two pipes an tobacco
    I bought this one myself great deal IMHO holds two pipes and tamper in the bottom and your tobacco in a zipped up pocket on top. and its lamb skin feels amazing holding it so soft...lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

That is a Nice pouch!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Castelford-Tobacco-Pouch-Holder-Moistener/dp/B001DYM622/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358367871&sr=8-4&keywords=castleford+pipe+case and carry it everywhere. It's a deal at only $10. I plan to get a better one eventually, but for now, it's great. I've carried it in my backpack and coat pocket on planes, boats and everything else. Even to foreign countries and it's served me well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Comes with a Pipe tool also that a good deal Nice find Baronsamedi

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

Baronsamedi, thanks for the tip about snuff but I don't think that's for me. I have nose studs and don't want to irritate them. That's a Neat bag and in my price range for next month so depending on how much tobacco I need I'll get one of them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I see where that could be an issue! lol. Tobacco blobs on the back of your nose studs would be no fun!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

It could make for an interesting sneeze though. Hehehe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

robertelliott

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the pipe smoking community ! You will seek and be given
    lots of advice, which is all good. Being a pipe smoker for 32 years ,
    I have only 2 pieces of advice to give to you . " Be patient with yourself "
    and enjoy the exploring in all the
    phases of your pipe smoking endeavor's
    Robert Elliott
    " Happy mortal! He who knows pleasure which a pipe bastows "
    Isaac Hawkins Brown

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

eibhir:

Just a quick note: I noticed you mentioned carrying your pipe around in a ziploc bag. While that's fine for transport, please do NOT keep your pipe in a bag like this overnight or anything. Your pipe needs to have air-flow around it in order to dry.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bob, I only use the bag out and about. Otherwise my pipe sits on the bookcase or my desk. I do keep the tobacco in the bag. I hope that's ok.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard. You've been getting some good advice here.
    A ziplock bag will probably work well for what you are doing. If it was me, I'd keep the tobacco in the bag and the pipe loose - or put both in a larger ziplock. It's fine to keep the tobacco in the baggie long-term.
    For your situation, I'd second the bag of cobs for $30. That would keep you in good shape for a while.
    I personally would not recommend low-end briars. Get your rotation built up with cobs and then, as you can afford it, buy decent pipes like Stanwell, Peterson, and Savinelli. You can get estate (used) pipes in these brands for pretty reasonable prices from some well-established dealers who advertise on this site.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Jud.

Cobs are cheap, smoke great and have character.

I see alot of new posters, Welcome one and all.....

Cheers

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. jwp159

jwp159

Login to Send PM

+ 1 on cobs to round out a rotation on a budget. Smoking several bowls in a day in the same pipe in a day is no problem, but then the pipe needs time to dry out to keep it smoking sweet. For a few days you would be fine using the same pipe but soon you will notice the difference and the enjoyment will fade. I know about being on a budget, I have found that if you add just a couple cobs so with your briar you have at least a 3 day rotation you will be good for a while. Then as you can add cobs or other pipes with the goal being a 7 day rotation. I have used just seven pipes for years with no problems. I now have added a few more as I have expanded my collection but 7 got me by for a long time.

Welcome to all the new posters

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum and the pipe. I too switched from cigs to pipe smoking. Smoking cigs is all about the nic-fix, but smoking a pipe is a way of life. Much more enjoyable too! Good luck, and happy puffing!

The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
    ~Albert Einstein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

I tried just putting my pipe open in my pocket but the tobacco made a mess; that's why I carry it in a zip bag. I'm definately going to get some cobs as soon as I can. They look fun on the meersham site. I like the wood ones there too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum eibhir. I too am new to this hobby and the thing I am learning the most is be patient!!!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll third the Missouri Meershaum cobs. If you're looking for some decent tobacco for not much money, I can recommend the Lane's Limited from smokingpipes.com. I can get 8oz delivered to TX for $20.13. Here's the link:

Lane's Limited

They also sell NEW Missouri Meershaum cobs for $2.99 each, so you could get a few with your baccy. Here's the link:

New MM cobs for $2.99

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried just putting my pipe open in my pocket but the tobacco made a mess; that's why I carry it in a zip bag.

I meant an unloaded pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried just putting my pipe open in my pocket but the tobacco made a mess; that's why I carry it in a zip bag.

Of course, this way you'd always be able to scrape together a bowl of tobacco, should you run out. Just go through all of your pockets. . .

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

seamusjft

Login to Send PM

37. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the great links! Good tip about scraping a bowl out of my pocket, I doubt the lint would even bother me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. rondyr

rondyr

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Eibhir! As with a few of my fellow forum friends I, too, recommend the Seconds sampler from http://www.corncobpipe.com. It's a great, great deal. But if that's still a bit too much to lay out this month but you really want another cheap pipe, CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid (at least in my area of Maryland) all sell quality MM cobs for around $6-8 dollars. They're usually the MM Legends, and they're great cobs.

And for those who are seeking a good pipe pouch, I highly recommend the Julius Max pouches from P&C.com. I have the Legatus and I really, really like it. I wish it held more tobacco in the tobacco pouch that comes with it, but I pretty much always carry my tobacco pouch around in my jacket pockets. And at only $25.00, it's a steal.

http://pipesandcigars.com/jumaxlelepo.html#.UPjgVCcUW9s

I got it as part of the Pipe Men of the Year sampler, which if they start carrying again I highly recommend that people pick it up.

http://pipesandcigars.com/pimenofyepig.html#.UPjgtycUW9s

Happy puffing!

I'm so awesome, I make myself jealous of myself.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's the direct link to the MM grab bag of seconds:

http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/specials.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

eibhir:

I'm going to send you a Private Message. I have a small briar that just never seemed quite right for me, and I'd be happy to send it your way.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrhooker93

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the world of pipe smoking! I concur with most members on the forum, order yourself a couple of cobs. They are simple yet eclectic pipes. Mark Twain was an avid fan of the corn cob or as he affectionately referred to them "A Missouri Meerschaum." Keep an eye out on pipesandcigars, as well as smokingpipes. They have excellent deals on estate pipes and "beginner" smoker sets.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also have a couple smaller bowl pipes that I could send your way as well. My collection needs a good purging. Shoot me a PM.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

eibhir I have a brylon Medico pipe and a cheapy pipe pouch I would be willing to give you free if charge to help you out if you are interested.
    PM me your address and I can ship it out next week.

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

You people are the best!
    I'm really grateful for all your tips and advice. You go above and beyond! Thank you a ton!

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have also found that Corn cob pipes for me are the best smoking pipes out there. They break in fast and smoke really well. Also IMHO no cobs come even close to Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes. You can get a grab bag of seconds for $30, you get a good bunch of pipes for a good price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. Once you get some more pipes you will be able to start experimenting with different blends to see what floats your boat. If you can try to keep a certain type of blend to certain pipes, i.e English blends in one pipe and aromatics in another or Virginia's in another. That is called dedicating your pipes. It will help you in that you will be able to pick out the nuances of the different styles of tobacco you are smoking and there bye you will get the most out of a certain blend. If you try to smoke an aromatic in a pipe that you previously smoked an English blend, you will not get the full flavors of that aromatic. I know that it seems a little daunting in the beginning so just relax and keep asking questions, it is what we are here for.

To all you guys who have offered pipe to our new member, well done. It makes me proud to be a member of this great community.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

sothron said:

"- Don't be afraid to spend money on pipe smoking - on good pipes and (especially) good tobaccos"

Great advice! So after you've smoked the cobs for a while, seriously consider laying out a bit more money for a Falcon and/or Viking - they're very reasonably priced for a briar, will provide you with a pleasant, cool smoke, are simple to maintain and are very sturdy.
    Welcome to the forum

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

eib - re "I tried just putting my pipe open in my pocket but the tobacco made a mess; that's why I carry it in a zip bag. ", get a wind cap for a couple of dollars from the B&M and that will keep the tobacco in the bowl. Another fix is to take a pipe cleaner and wind it up into a tight coil and use that as a cap.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. possiblemeltdown

possiblemeltdown

Login to Send PM

eibhir,

Being a closet smoker myself (young kids and my wife disapproves of my "hobby") I occasionally only have time for a quick smoke.

If I find myself having to head back inside at a party when all the smokers are done their cigs I place the pipe in my fist with my palm covering the bowl opening and suck on the pipe for a while (time varys, you will have to experiment but it doen't take long). This seals the bowl and the tobacco goes out. Just watch you don't burn your hand! I have heard of people using a piece of cork to plug the bowl (keeps ashes out of your pocket too) or using a credit card to cover the bowl instead of your hand... equally important, don't melt your credit card!

Also, you can partially fill the bowl if you know you won't have time to smoke a full bowl, once you get the hang of packing the tobacco. Fridays on the way to work I usually smoke a half a bowl while listening to the Pipes Magazine Radio Show. Half a bowl is perfect for the drive and I can clean the pipe out before heading into work.

As for pipes, I'm new to the hobby but I don't have a lot of money to spend either. I have picked up a few cheaper brand pipes and they seem to work fine. Maybe I just haven't been spoiled by a high quality pipe so I don't know the difference yet! If a pipe smokes well for you, that's all that matters.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

Thanks Meltdown! Those are great ideas for keeping my pipe from spilling. I also read somewhere about using quarters and a rubber band.
    All the advice I'm getting on here is really helpful!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   edgreen, rangerearthpig, petes03, gop1ayoutside, virginiacob, shaintiques, metarzan, yaddy306, purplemotoman, bluesmk, crazypipe, renfield, rootling, jiminks, mmjk, tbradsim1