PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Not a shape you see every day from retired pipe maker Shizou Arita, a straight grained horn with plateau bottom and Cumberland Stem.
14029174897_68dd69b9f5_n.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Allan,

Nothing about the bore diameter but I'd venture it's .75" and it's an Ant Grade or T grade with a signed card from Mr. Arita.
Length – 5 1/2 inches

Height – 2 inches

Width - 2 x 1 1/2 inches

Chamber – 1 1/8 inches

Weight - 2.2 ounces

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fish, you have so many pipes, I know this horn will do fine in your rotation. How would a horn do for a smoker

with just eight or ten pipes, in terms of the heat moving up through that upper wall of the bowl? That's my

only misgiving on deeply canted horns, with all the fire moving upward toward the ceiling. I would think it

would cook the upper bowl. Anyway, magnificent pipe, just a work of art. I'd let it go out just admiring it.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
It takes a wee bit of getting used to the various horn and quasi horn shapes I have. You tend to realize you aren't paying attention when you see a buildup of unsmoked tobacco toward the stem end of the bowl. i.e. the upper top. In my case it's not a problem for it to burn hotter there but as with anything no two smokers would be alike. I tend to lean back when smoking one more often than not to allow a nice clean burning smoke. They are definitely a joy to look at and yes they do go out when you lose yourself staring at one. :D

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Very pretty Horn, fish. Im not big on them, but that one has some really nice grain pattern. Enjoy!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats fish - that is an impressive pipe. I doubt I will ever own a horn, but I can appreciate their beauty.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well it arrived today and to no surprise the photos of the pipe did nothing to accentuate it's true beauty. It sits nearly straight in the mouth w/o the need of clenching so the usual horn issues are not apparent in this pipe, a wonderfully thought out piece by Mr. Arita!

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Sorry, this is one of the shape i just dont get?

That being said, I'm glad your happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.