PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
the tital pretty much says it all. im new to pipes.any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.im looking for a nice pipe for a low price as i dont have much money. the pipe i have currently is ok, its a lucienne.i read on another forum that it is made of walnut.the bowl on the inside is black and feels like some sort of clay.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I smoked a lot of corncobs when I first started, they are about as cheap as you'll find. I would also check your local tobacco shop and ask them if the have and factory seconds or shop pipes. My first real pipe was one of these and I still use it. Most online shops also have a section for pipes under $50. Other than that I would check out some pipe tobacco review sites, just google it, and the tobacco review section here for suggestions on the kind of tobacco to get or you could try a sampler from a tobacco shop and go from there. Happy smoking!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
As Sherlock says cobs are inexpensive and smoke well. Check After you get more experienced buying estates on ebay is a cheap way to build a collection.

Jul 12, 2011
agree, get some MM Cobs (marscigars.com has them pretty cheap), get our Uncle A to make you some nice stems for them and you are good-to-go :puffy:

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
If you look at the left hand column near the bottom you will see a list of articles written for Pipesmagazine.com These articles will help you find all sorts of information about our hobby!
Welcome to the forums!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As mentioned, read as much as you can on this and other forums. THAN, start spending your money. A cob is a great way to see if you like pipes at all. I went thru a few $70-$100 pipes that I didn't like before learning my lesson. Same for tins of tobacco. Visit your local shop, they will usually let you try some open tins. Buying a $15 tin of tobacco that I didn't like is a mistake I don't like to make very often.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Welcome ! If you're looking for a nice pipe, I would start out with an entry level Savinelli.

I think they start out at about $40. Peterson would be another choice in the $50-$60 range.
Don't worry, we'll have you buying Castello's and Dunhill's in no time. :lol:

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
All of the above is great advice, just keep puffing away... you'll find your cadence and habits soon enough.
Welcome to the forum! It's a great place to learn and socialize. Don't be shy! :puffy:

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
i have only been smoking for about a year (on and off I have been "OWNING" a pipe for that long) and this forum is the best thing yet. Its informational, inspirational and observational. i have learned more about this leisure here than youtube, my local B&M, or anywhere else.

Jul 15, 2011
The best advice I can give you is this: You can smoke a pipe for years and years, try all kinds of different tobaccos and smoke many different brands, styles, and varieties of pipes, and you will still not learn everything there is to know. A lot of advice that will be given to you may or may not work for you. The key thing is to have patience. Its a trial and error process. What may work well for you may not work well for the rest of us. There seems to be a pretty universal truth in these hints though: Dont pack your pipe too tightly, don't puff too hard and too fast, and make sure your pipe is thoroughly cleaned after each use. Beyond that, try many different pipes and all different kinds of tobaccos until you find something that works for you. Good luck on your journey and remember; keep an open mind and never give up. Welcome to the forums!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Cobs are a great way to start, buy M&M brand. Supplement with a briar to get a different perspective. Dr. Grabow is a good, inexpensive pipe. If you find that you like the briar, move up to a Savinelli, or a Peterson. One can go goggly eyed over all the different brands and types of pipes, and that's how a lot of us ended up with a big pile o'pipes, heh heh.

I'll chime in with the others, Cobs smoke awesome and you can't beat the price if you are on a tight budget. From there move up to Dr. Grabows then have a look at some estates on Ebay. Stanwells would be my pipe of choice to look for in an estate. Good luck, enjoy yourself and ask questions. It's way too easy to become discouraged with a throbbing tongue and a pile of burnt matches sitting next to you. There is a method to the madness and it's worth the wait.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
thanks everyone. my main problem it that i live in a small town called capac(its in michigan) and the two tobacco shops in the towns closest to me dont have much in the way of pipes or pipe tobacco. the only pipe tobacco they have is mass produced brands like paladin and captain black.i like captain black so that doesnt bother me, but i wanna branch out and try new things. there is a pipe shop in flint called pauls pipes, which seem like a nice place to check out

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Dont forget your online resources. I go to smokingpipes.com for anything i cant get at my tobacconist.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
O.K.

Smokingpipes has a bunch of Savs like this in the $70-$90 range. :puffy:

Gotta go. The NFL game's starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.