PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
From the title, I thought you bought a Hennessey Viper....
2013ViperVenom1000.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Oh man, I remember drinking sidecars when I was about... well a little before it was legal for me. I was dating a girl in the mid 60s whose dad loved to mix cocktails, and had no problem making us drinks as long as we didn't go out afterwards. He made them with cognac, triple sec, and lemon, but always rimmed the glass with lemon and dipped it in powdered sugar before pouring the drink. They were so good, but he never made us more than two. (smart on his part) I've tried ordering these in a few bars over the years, but some bartenders didn't know what they were, and others never used the sugar. Might have to get some fixins and do my own sometime.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I was on a vintage cocktail kick for a while in college (in the 90's) and used to mix Sidecars for my girlfriend (now my wife). She was disappointed when bartenders had no idea what they were. Good drink!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a grand drink.
I spent the 80's pouring classic cocktails at a wonderful chop house in my hometown. I learned from bartenders well into their 80's and had a ball mastering Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, Daiquiris, Gimlets, Martinis - plus stocking a variety of stuffed olives for particular & preferred customers - various Alexanders and a host of heavily creamed after dinner drinks, a slough of Rickeys, Cobblers, Daisys, Fizzes & Bucks and even learned to layer a better than passable Pousse Cafe.
I think I better break out the cocktail shakers this weekend and ratchet up our sons' knowledge of beverages beyond bttls. from a micro-brewery.
Fnord

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
@fnord: love your list of drinks! Vodka Gimlet, one of my favorite drinks for years, and still enjoying them. Pousse Cafe! I can't believe you mentioned that! My dad used to make those when company came over, just to see them drink it all at one go. He was pretty good at making them too, but I'll bet very few bartenders know what the hell they are today! Takes a steady hand and some patience to do them right, as opposed to spinning some bottles and pouring some booze in a shaker. (sorry if I've offended some bartender/mixologists here) :roll:
I do enjoy the new Speakeasy column though. Keep em comin Kevin!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Gosh, Orley, me too with the vodka gimlets. My wife likes them a bit sweeter so I've learned to adapt over the years. We always have a bottle of Rose's in the fridge. Always.
Fnord

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Start with the first ingredient ... Cognac ... stop.
I just can't see tossing Triple Sec and / or juice into my good Cognac! :)
Fun column idea Kevin!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Cob:
Most folks knock back a Sidecar using domestic brandy. Gallo works just fine and you'll be surprised at how good it tastes.
If you like it then pick up a bottle of one of the cheaper off brand imported Cognacs. It'll make a noticeable difference. (I used to experiment all the time. Made a Sidecar once with Calvados - a beverage I dearly love - and it tasted like absolute shit. Still, I had to try it.)
Once you're comfortable with the inexpensive Cognac and enjoy it, get a wild hair up your ass one night and sacrifice an ounce and a half of one of your pricier VS or VSOPs. Be sure it's still early in the evening before your taste buds are swamped with other drinks, food intake or tobacco and then PM me with your thoughts. I think you'll be pleased. Good booze makes for really good cocktails, and I do mean memorably good cocktails.
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Gig:
I couldn't agree with you more about Campari. There's no other liquor like it in the world and I've always used it - well, mostly used it - as an aperitif.
I know some enjoy the Negroni cocktail but Campari is best used here: smacking the hell out of your taste buds before a really good supper. A small draft, thinned with water or charged water, accentuates the palate and will wake up every sensory receptacle in your body.
Also, I don't drink many sodas but a half oz. of Campari in a 8 oz. or 12 oz. glass of soda water is a nice little pick me up after mowing the lawn and trimming brush.
Gig, I've never once smoked a burner drinking Campari. The bitterness and acidity puts me off but it might be attractive to a VA huffer.
Your thoughts?
Fnord

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Fnord,
It's not cheap vs expensive, I just like good things to remain unadulterated:
Coffee ... no flavoring, cream or sugar

Beer ... Microbrews with no fruit flavors or fruit tossed in the glass

Chocolate ... 75% or above Cacao

Tobacco ... No aromatics
So, in that same light, Cognac ... neat with a small single cube. No fruit, juice, soda, etc.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You're absolutely right, Cob, and you've got my apologies. I got my stem a bit tight last night and stayed way too long at the pulpit.
Fnord

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Gigger,
Lol ... sounds like a great afternoon! :)
I don't have a favorite, per se, but always look for a high Cacao content.

Recently, I picked up an "Endangered Species" Bar which is Organic / Freetrade and it was really good!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Fnord,
No apologies needed at all my friend!

I was just clarifying what I meant in my previous post.

Cheers! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.