PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
So I was out at my local cigar and pipe shop today satisfying my CAD (Cigar Acquisition Disorder) and TAD. I saw a tin of Three Nuns sitting on the shelf. I hear so much about it and how good it's supposed to be so I pick it up (for a hefty price tag) but I'm sure it will be worth it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Do let me know how that works out for you. It doesn't resemble the stuff from years ago as I think they have changed the composition on several occasions which I believe has been covered in some considerable depth on the various boards here. The last time I tried some when it was offered to me by a chum of mine it really didn't do much for me.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I've read quite a few threads about on here an how it has changed from years ago. I'm not one for perique (anymore) so I thought I would give it a try simce I like burley and latakia. It's not too heavy on the lat but you can smell it from the tin note.

If you like the initial flavor of the Nuns but it starts to get cloyingly harsh on your throat and mouth halfway down the bowl like a cheap cigar, you might give the Newmister Round Slices a shot. To me it is a better flavor using the same ingredients, but it sweeter and easier on your mouth. Plus, it is cheaper. To me, its everything I want the Three Nuns to be but better.

As to whether it is like what it used to be, I have no idea. I never tried the old stuff, nor will I probably ever get a chance.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I had an experience that cosmicfolklore had- Three Nuns became a harsh, cigarette like smoke for me.
I stuck the rest in a jar and its sat there for a couple years...I'll give it a revisit. It seems though, the current Three Nuns is a so-so blend that has been able to capitalize on a previous reputation. For me...Escudo scratches that itch. A sweet virginia coin with a satisfying amount of Perique.
I don't remember if it was MacBaren or Scandinavian Tobacco that owns it now....but their recreation of this (arguably mediocre) blend coupled with the initial launch through Smokingpipes.com.....well that was just marketing done real well.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I recently finished off my tin of the new Three Nuns, and don't plan to buy another. When I first opened the tin I found it a bit repellant, but decided to give it a go anyway. I didn't much care for it, but gradually grew to mildly enjoy it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Cosmic +1

I'm glad to read that someone else out there recognizes the quality of the often overlooked Newminster 403 Superior Round Sliced. I guess that's because it's a bulk offering that was brought out with about 20 other bulks, and it got lost in a plethora of choices from the Villiger/Mac Baren collaboration.
Villiger-Stokkebye's 1888 Cocktail Hour was supposed to be their 3 Nuns clone, but for some reason it never caught on.

If you're looking for a nice Burley/D.F.K./Perique/Virginia blend in the small coin format, I would recommend Savinelli's Doblone d'Oro.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
This re-introduction was one that surprised me from a sales standpoint at our shop. The dozen tins we had kind of flew off the shelves relative to some other popular blends that sit on the shelf while the Internet chatter has all the etailers showing "out of stock". I grabbed one tin and found it to be disappointing, so much so that I gave most of it away to some of our regular pipe guys that came in. I hardly ever do that, I'll at least jar it and give it some time.
As Cortez stated there are better coins out there, much better and cheaper. The Villiger 1888 he referred to is going the way of the dinosaurs as is some of their other blends. At least that's what I've read on here at some point. It's a very tasty mixture.
IMO if a company is going to the trouble of launching a resurrected name like Bell's Three Nuns and goes as far to duplicate the tin graphics the least they can do is to stay true to as much of the blends key ingredients and not just make it look similar.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
3 Nuns was a pick for our very first Tobacco Crawl last year.
The overall consensus was that it nowhere lived up to the hype. In fact most members preferred Old Dark Fire, GL Pease Jacknife Plug and Peterson's Perfect Plug over 3 Nuns.

Status
Not open for further replies.