PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hey all,
You all know I've been doin' the Pipin' for about 6 months, and over the period, thru my PAD/TAD, I've acquired a LOT of blends (over 50) and lots of pipes (15). I LOVE English blends, I have had a love-hate (currently love) with burleys, and I'm enjoying the VaPers a lot. There's no genre of tobacco I haven't tried, and that I don't like.
I've been sabotaged by the Artful Codger. I REALLY like Velvet. Is that wrong? :0
Seriously....I love all of the various craft blends. Sometimes, tho, I just need me some Velvet. Among the many bowls of Black Frigate and other faves.....the Velvet calls to me.
OK, Ben...I give. I ordered a tub. I jarred it. It's mine. My own. My prec........BEN!
CW

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I like big butts and I can not lie. - Sir Mix-a-Lot.
The heart wants what the heart wants. If it’s Velvet for you then own it. Cheers.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
LOL. Thanks guys. No regret at all. Velvet's great, but so is Gaslight, Northwoods, Chelsea Morning, Artisan Blend, Bengal Slices, Fusillier's Ration, Plum Pudding, Mississippi River, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Solani Aged Burley Flake, Pegasus, HH Old Dark Fired, HH Vintage Syrian......The list goes on and on!
I'm of course joking with respect to getting into Velvet, but I am glad I did. It's my one codger blend. In this wonderful hobby, there's so much to love and to learn. Glad I'm part of the community. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never tried Velvet, but if it shows off its burley well, and isn't overly mild, I'd probably like it. I like the more exotic Semois (a burley variant), but also D&R Two Timer, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Edward G., SWR Aro, and an array of C&D burley blends. I also like English blends with burley like Nat Sherman 536 and PC Chestnut.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
CW,
There is nothing wrong with any blend if you like it! Piping is a pleasure and as long as you're happy, that's all that matters. That said, I am a champion of old school blends. I do really enjoy modern blends of all sorts, but, there is something really nice about these old mixtures. Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh, Lane Ready Rubbed/Sutliff Edgeworth Match, Sutliff Walnut Match, H&H Midtown: Chestnut, Sutliff Holiday Match, Edward G. Robinson, Iwan Ries 3 Star, Sutliff Briggs Mixture, Sutliff Barking Dog, and even Sutliff Bourbon Street Match are all in steady rotation with me. Partly, I am a burley guy and these blends all sport a lot of burley. On the other hand, they are all pleasant all day smokes that require no thought to enjoy. Ahhhhh....the simple pleasures. :)
Cheers,
Chili

Reactions: Pipewizard420

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Velvet is what my grandfather smoked. I always have it on hand. A real nostalgic smell.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I like velvet, too.
velvetpainting_image3.jpg

Reactions: whsergent

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad smoked Granger for about a half century, so I can understand. I mean, other than some spells with King Edward Cigars, that was all he smoked.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm going through an OTC phase and Velvet is currently on the menu. I really like it!!
I've said this before, but I feel like a complete asshole snob by foregoing OTC baccy. Granted, I'm no fan of Captain Black, but its getting another shot next week.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The PC specs are confusing, saying Velvet is a Kentucky burley non-aromatic, but with a sweet top note, which sounds aromatic to me. If it is really unflavored burley, I'd probably like it. I should probably get a pouch some time and give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.