PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
This afternoon, the boys at my local brick & mortar had Cheshire smiles when they saw me and the misses walking up the pavement. As soon as we stepped in the door, they asked my lovely wife if it was okay if we all could go and play over at the estate pipes display.
She gave me that merciful look of approval, and sighed, "Have fun."
Once over at the club house ― and after unloading our jacks, marbles, and such ― they unsheathed an item that had been placed back in anticipation of my arrival. Well knowing my aesthetic taste, they presented me with briar temptation! The beautiful sandblast, the large chamber, the bend...! I'm surprised that they hadn't just packaged the whole thing up and slapped my name on the box.
So, now I'm an owner of an Il Ceppo (and five marbles). Not being familar with the Itallian brand, I did a websearch and learned what I could about the company ― however, I'm curious if anyone has any additional information about this particular model, as it seems that the band is somewhat atypical for their design?
ilceppo01_zpsm2x8oyo3.jpg

ilceppo02_zpselvjpm4a.jpg

ilceppo003_zpsshrwvrq1.jpg

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
As an Italian pipe aficionado I am always interested in Il Ceppo, Mastro de Paya, Jacopo and L'anatra pipes. You have a beauty which should smoke well. This brand often has lovely silver work and they all smoke well for my money.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Great pipes! Especially bents.
Pretty intricate blasts. Their stems could be thinner. Still, one of the better value Italian pipes.
Here's one I stupidly sold:
M6Ihl.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
One of two Il Ceppo pipes I own, lovely execution of this shape. The stem is a faux military mount, in other words, a conventional mortise/tenon. I should smoke this pipe more than I do!
dac05b.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I own several and they are all superior smokers and quite beautiful to boot. They are the equal to Ardor in my experience of owning and smoking several of each brand.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Thank you all for the additional information. I'm extremely happy with the addition, and look forward to firing it up today; perhaps with an English blend. The great thing about being a pipe harlot: leaving yourself available to brand new experiences and delights -- some of which can be real hidden treasures.
ChasingEmbers, those Weaver pipes are great! I'm bookmarking the page, and will be making sure I visit it, often.
Jarit, it was beautiful; I'm sorry for your lose.
Dmcmtk, that Il Ceppo is an appealing specimen! After reading up on the company, and seeing other samples of their work, I foresee a few more acquisitions in the upcoming years.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I love it when someone says "sorry for your loss" when someone has a pipe stolen, misses an Ebay auction or sells a prised pipe. Like little children!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Jeffrey, congrats! Beautiful ring grain pipe. Sounds like the wife may be a keeper also :D

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
So, I've been getting to know my new buddy, Il Ceppo.
I learned, during its first run, that regardless of its thick walls and beautiful sandblasted finish, this pipe burns like a torrid vortex. I've been experimenting with pack, tamp, and cadence -- in order to tame the fires a bit.
After further trying several English shag blends, I'm thinking perhaps a shift to burley flake is in order. One thing can be said with certainty about this particular pipe: It has one hell of an open draw.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Il Ceppo has found his calling! He shall now be a burley flake pipe. With an open draw and wide chamber, whole burley flake smokes like a dream: nice, cool, and favorful. A little patience and perseverance in life, makes all the diffrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.