PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Hello there folks,
It's been a while since my last post, I hope everyone is doing well.
I've been meaning to ask about Ikebana grade Tsuge pipes. I am curious to know how they fare in comparison to other high end makers.
It is my understanding that the principal carver behind the line, master Fukuda, was a student of Sixten Ivarsson. Of course he still produces some pieces but the majority is left to newcomers master Ohi and master Kikuchi. The latter two stamp their name on their pieces but Fukuda doesn't. I was therefore wondering if there is a definitive way of identifying a Fukuda made pipe.
Thanks guys and take care.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Ikebana pipes are very high end, high quailty pipes ranked among the best. I have a 2011 DE grade(in profile photo) that was a gift. It is a beautiful pipe and smokes perfectly. As for when Fakuda made Kikuchi the primary carver was in 2013. So, its safe to assume that anything before that date is Fakuda made.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Know little about them, but probably each pipe is months in the making, and the carvers are trained for many years. When the Japanese professionalize a craft, they know no bounds.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tsuge's in general tend to be perfectionistic in craftsmanship. The only one I own was sold by PC as a "tasting pipe." It's a subtle blast straight tapered billiard, full size. Yet it has the precision you'd expect from a Tsuge, and it was only $39.99. I expected much less, but feel I have a real Tsuge, no Ikebana, but radiating quality. These must have been made for some event and sold off at discount, but what a pleasant surprise and bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.