PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
What? IKEA smoking pipes? That Swedish company that sells inexpensive furniture with funny names? Yes! A member of the Dutch/Belgian Pipe Smokers Forum works there and he saw a picture on the IKEA museum site with smoking pipes! Of course I could not resist asking the museum if they knew where the pipes came from..
Hi Arno!
Thank you for your email. The pipes were sold at IKEA during the 1940s 1950s, they were not of our own make but from other suppliers and sold via mail order. I’m afraid we do not have a list of the suppliers but please see attached image from the mail-order catalogue from 1950 were pipes were sold.
Kind regards Moa

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
That was back in the olden days when smoking a pipe was seen as a sign of sophistication.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So many interesting "house pipes" have been mentioned on Forums including Disneyland and L.L. Bean. I think their merchandising appealed to the popularity of smoking in general but also the up-market image of pipes, not necessarily with wealth but with intelligence, Einstein and such.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Last Saturday I bought a pipe at an estate sale. The pipe is stamped Marshall Fields. Made in England.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We should be very thankful that IKEA does not sell pipes or tobacco. That place is a hell on earth.
And they do not stock Swedish death metal, so they are kind of useless anyway!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Gorgeous in ways most pipes are not. For those of us who might squint a bit:
8efce9745e4c30e7dd42d7247c4e2d03.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.