PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Tonight's Chinese. Challenging at first, then really easy. I hear there's some football game, but I guess it just isn't as relevant as playing touch football on the back lot with my droogs.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Daughter and possible future son in law just left the house. Taco soup, corn bread and almost two bottles of wine were on the menu. TV never came on and possible son in law said “This is the best super bowl party I’ve ever been to.”

We have a new member of the family that is an awesome cook. She made pasta and marinara from scratch for us tonight, and all of the girls are watching cooking shows tonight. The food was delicious.

I love Chinese. I subsisted on stir fry and Ramen all through college.
I've got a big bowl of C&D's new Light of the Universe going, and listening to The Band, From the Big Pink on vinyl in the studio. Sometimes, I just have to get away from the estrogen. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife did home made chili with really good cheddar on top, along with Mex corn chips. I used to do some wok cooking, but now we go out from dim sum as our major local Chinese experience, or have some good Vietnamese or Korean food. I liked to stir fry bok choy, carrots, chicken and water chesnuts and serve 'em over rice. Not sophisticated, but good quick meal.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not a big sports fan here, but had some Thai earlier to beat the chilly weather.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Celebrate the Movement...

th

Super Bowel LII

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
deathmetal; i am very fortunate to get "real" Chinese food when Xia cooks. I learned I have been doing many things wrong, and even though I try and copy what she does, mine always tastes "less". I have no idea why. We use the same ingredients, the same cooking utensils, but what I prepare pales, in comparison.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Mike, Chinese food is like good pipe tobacco. Try as one might, getting it to taste the same requires the real original and not copies. You are a blessed man!
By the way, I am a big sports fan and loved last night's Super Bowl game. A real pleasure to watch and it went right down to the wire. Congrats to both teams for an entertaining evening.

Dec 28, 2015
One of the best Super Bowls I have ever seen from start to finish. But I like cooking and the Band on vinyl as much as the next guy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I watched the first half of S-Bowl, then opted for a PBS series on Queen Victoria (no less) that my wife and I both wanted to see, then jumped back to the end of the fourth quarter, so it was an unusual perspective on a unique Super Bowl game. The play where Forte was the receiver was too good to miss. Coach claimed they'd been practicing that one. I guess so. The Queen Victoria episode was about the Irish potato famine, also worth seeing, in a more serious vein. That caused a major migration of Irish to the U.S., where they were treated really badly (this wasn't in the Queen Victoria show...). My dad's mom, to whom I was devoted, was a Scotch-Irish second generation person who married into an old Yankee family, so the Irish immigration was a sort of invisible factor in my childhood.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've never really had much interest in televised sports. It strikes me as an impotent activity.
This year, I have other reasons to avoid the drama as well. Any time a "fun" activity becomes propaganda, all sane people avoid it.
But I found some great recipe tips in this thread!

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I like a good game but I hate what it (major sporting leagues) has become. After cutting the cord 4 years ago, after my son was born, I can't watch regular TV because of the commercials. Forget about watching a football game.
That being said, it was a great game!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have avoided regular television for most of my life. I have a clearer mind because of it. But now, it's mainly a question of the legacy I want to leave behind. Will I have supported good things, or merely gone with the flow?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Avoiding TV is a really wise thing to do. Especially now. I watch too much, and turn it off, or sneak away if possible if I am watching with others. Odd how even reading a book is stimulating and refreshing, whereas watching TV mostly is numbing and depleting. There are certainly exceptions. And I need to keep up with events in the world, such as they are, and such as they are reported. But you have to keep custody of your brain, to the degree you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.