PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abram35

Lurker
Mar 16, 2012
3 Oaks was my first adventure outside the world of aromatics. Which blend began your adventure?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Frog Morton On The Town and Iwan Ries Gourmet English. Both excellent blends I might add.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Frog Morton I think was the start of my search / journey but funny enough I have found tobacco I like more.

Interestingly though I have yet to find any tobacco I like more then the original 3 Oaks. You found a good one right off the hop in my opinion.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think my first non-aromatic was Sail Yellow, with Troost Special Cavendish close behind. This was over 40 years ago, though,so I might be wrong!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I did start, for a couple of weeks, on some local tobacconist's house aromatic. I almost gave up the pipe because I just wasn't getting what I thought I would get from smoking a pipe. Then one day I bought a tin of Penzance after a wise old local tobacconist listened to my plight and recommended something he thought might deliver that experience that I expected from smoking a pipe. 14 years later...here I am...a confirmed pipe smoker.

lab1dobie

Might Stick Around
Mar 11, 2012
Years ago it was Borkum Riff Rum. Then a man I worked for suggested a B & M blend and went from there. Tried various "drugstore' brands but none never seemed as good as tins and bulk tobaccos.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
My first pipe smoke was C&D X Eyed Cricket. A friend gifted me a brand new Peterson (which I still smoke today) and a sealed tin. From there I went to Frog Morton and just kept with the english stuff. It was almost a year before I ever tried something without latakia such as VA's. Only recently have I even started enjoying aromatics. They make a nice change of pace but I'm still a latakia junkie!

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
First smoke ever was captain black, I liked it but did want something different, I smoked a few different Aros and found the love for english blends with ten to midnight :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I started in 1970 with a no name pipe and some cherry blend. Then I found a real B&M and got educated by the old man who owned it. Bought my first GBD and started exploring the Lane Ltd. blends and settled on Highland, which is long gone. Also got into the Dunhill blends and went from there. That's the fun of this hobby; you never run out of stuff to try.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
First pipe was a Sanda with the metal bowl liner and a pouch of Green Sail. The Sanda pipe now resides in the bottom of Lake Peter in Barss Corner Nova Scotia.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Dunhill 965. I tried it on a lark in 2005, after 20 years of smoking nothing but aromatics. I had no idea it would be that good. Nowadays, I like Burleys and Balkans and save my Aros for dessert.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
first real tobacco i ever had was PA, filched from my grandpa's stash--he had passed away earlier and i figured

he wouldn't mind if i used a bit of it--i didn't try an ARO until ten or fifteen years later--

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I started with aromatics and I believe my first non was Old Dublin. Need to get another tin of it as I can't remember if I even liked it, but opened up a whole new world for me. Aromatics are what I smoke the least now.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I smoked aromatics for a good many years then a friend gave me some Frog Morton.I still smoke aromatics.My love though is Latakia.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I started with a variety of Tinder Box aros. My first non aro was either Frog Morton or St. James Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.