PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I have recently moved to a new city, and in this city there is a barber that sells some pipes and tobacco. He only stocks 2 types of pipe tobacco - Erinmore Flake and Borkum Riff. I have not tried either and wonder what would folks recomend if I were to purchase some?

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
No contest there. I like Erinmore Flake. It's nice and flavorful, stout, cool, and the topping is pleasant and polite. The fruity flavor is present throughout the smoke, but it's not too in-your-face, and doesn't cover the taste of the Virginia. There's also a nice, nutty creaminess from the Burley. It all depends on your personal taste in the end, but I would also say that Erinmore is of superior quality, if that matters to you. Borkum Riff is cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
^Yeah, actually do that instead. The whole thing with the barber selling tobacco is kind of sketchy anyway. Like having your local tobacconist cut your hair, but he only does two styles...

okiepiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2019
Definitely Erinmore Flake. Borkum Riff in a cheap briar was the first tobacco purchase I ever made 15 years ago. It was a bad experience and caused me to not get into pipes for the next 10 years.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Well that's settled then Erinmore it is.
Traditionaly here in New Zealand it was quite common for the local barber to also be the tobacconist, those days are long gone however. The current laws make it difficult for anyone to sell tobacco & there is no way that a stand alone tobbaconist could even exist now.
Taxes and other fees make it a risky and expensive exercise to import tobacco from overseas, unless it slipped through customs un-noticed.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Traditionaly here in New Zealand it was quite common for the local barber to also be the tobacconist, those days are long gone however. The current laws make it difficult for anyone to sell tobacco & there is no way that a stand alone tobbaconist could even exist now.
Taxes and other fees make it a risky and expensive exercise to import tobacco from overseas, unless it slipped through customs un-noticed.
Ah, gotcha. Looks like I've just been caught thinking like being an American, which is a shame because I'm actually an ex-pat British Citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.