PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Never forget the Five Brothers. It does not seem like a complex flavor at first, but it expands after the first light.
Also consider C&D's wonderful Cube Cut Burley and Dark Burley. Combine them with a tasty Virginia, like Royal Yacht or Hal O' The Wynd, for a mindblowing mixture.
All hail the Burley, an atavism that should live forever!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Cube Cut Burley is one of my new favorites. And I often mix it with VAs and other burleys. I love both the nutty, natural burley flavor and how easy it is to pack and light. Wonderful stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you love burley, there's nothing better. I just have to understand that some people really can't taste it, and others really do not like it, and some get physically ill. Since my dad was a burley smoker, it must have gotten to me early. As much as I like great English, Balkan, and Va and Va/Per blends, a good burley in a blend or as a single leaf is bliss for me. C&D has an amazing way with burley in blends, and I am always jabbering about Manil-Semois, both the thick and medium cuts. Ah.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Not to mention the elusive Va/Bur/Per, starting with the stalwart of that variety, Old Joe Krantz...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
starting with the stalwart of that variety, Old Joe Krantz...
My old friend! C&D Exhausted Rooster is a great one too.
I really like the D&R offerings ... very little casing and pure tobacco flavors. Smoked some Ryback Gold today.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Let me add

Uhles 300, 255, and crushed white burley

LJ Peretti (sadly could not secure a table for Chicago) 333, 100 and DD

Lane Ready Rubbed

Granger

And possibly my fave burley (300 at Uhles is up there) Solani Aged Burley Flake mmmmm

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
And no one speaking up for Five Brothers? Great on its own, divine with Royal Yacht or Hal O' The Wynd!

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
My only encounter with five brothers was early in my career..liked it in a cob...ill pick up a pouch (add Amsterdam by PS to RY...good times)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've done that. I love Amsterdam, but it is a bit light, so I usually mix in something else. Sometimes the 'Yacht, sometimes Brown Twist Sliced. Heresy, I know.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Cube Cut Burley is one of my new favorites."
Then allow me to recommend Wilke Nut Brown Burley from Pipeworks and Wilke. This cube-cut Burley blend has not been available since 2014, but is now again being offered by Ms. Carole Burns, Pipeworks and Wilke's proprietress. Here is a link (Pipeworks and Wilke) to her Website, and also a link (Wilke Nut Brown Burley) to the reviews of this blend on tobaccoreviews.com.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never smoke a strictly burley blend. I like my burley/Kentucky mixed into a Vabur. A few of my favorites is Stonehaven, Old Dark Fired, Solani Silver Flake, GL Pease Navigator, Peterson Irish Flake, University Flake and Perfect Plug and Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.
I have tried 2 straight burley blends Solani Aged Burley Flake and Wessex Burley Slice and did not like either one, they had a weird flavor for me.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
cigrmaster:
According to JimInks Wilke Nut Brown Burley has some Virginia, so you might find it to your liking. He had this to say on tobaccoreviews.com about this blend:
"A burley based blend with a little Virginia, and what appears to be a touch of black cavendish. Notes of earth, lots of nuttiness, a slight hint of maple, a little grassy, and a mild, pleasant molasses sweetness that burns well, evenly, and is delicious to the last ember. You can smell the toastiness of the burley, and certainly taste it. Despite the description, this does have a extremely mild topping, and I know black cavendish when I taste it, so there's a little vanilla here, too. Has little nicotine, and won't bite. Very mild and relaxing, whether you start your day or end your day with it, or smoke it all day! Burns at a moderate pace with few relights, and a cool, clean smooth, consistent flavor to the finish. Leaves a light dampness in the bowl, but no dottle as it will burns to ash. If you see somebody hate this, shoot 'em quickly! They may be invading alien zombies from another planet. ;) Okay okay... you don't have to shoot them. Just let them smoke a bowl of this blend, and they'll go away contented like a Carnation cow."

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Thanks all. I wasn't going to spend money on tobacco for a while.
I should have never clicked this thread. I'm a grown man with no will power. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.