PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
After going over my tasting notes for the last 30+ years, I've realized that several blends have similarities that remind me of other blends. I thought it might be fun to share a few of those and see what interesting connections the rest of you might have noticed. These aren't duplicates; they're just blends that share similar traits that made me think of another blend. If you like one, chances are you might also really enjoy the other.
So, if you like:
Balkan Sobranie - See what you think of McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander

GLPease Raven's Wing - Brebbia's Preludio Mixture No. 60

McClelland's Anniversary - Rattray's Jocks Mixture

Esoterica's And So to Bed - McClelland's Frog Morton on the Town

Esoterica's Penzance - J.F. Germain's Special Latakia Flake

Esoterica's Margate - CAO/Dan Tobacco's Gordon Pym
Your thoughts?
Bob

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Balkan Sobranie - Dunhill 956 - Red Rapparee. Nowadays GLP Westminster.

Dunhill Light Flake - Wessex Brown Flake - Germain's Brown.

Erinmore Flake - try Dunhill Light Flake. Seriously. If you're a slow smoker, you will probably not even miss the trollop scent.
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake - GLP Westminster.
All similarities are also jarring.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ok I will play.
Escudo= Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Stonehaven =Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake= John Aylesbury Luxury Flake

Dunhill Flake= Wessex Gold Virginia Flake

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake= Astleys no 44 Dark Flake

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
rmbittner:
OOPS! What I meant was G.L.Pease Union Square. Not Westminster.

Sometimes the creosote invades the brain and causes confusing synapse firing.
Here are a few more:

Arcadia - Presbyterian.

Dunhill 965 - Rattray's Accountants Mixture.

Westminster - Three Oaks.

MacBaren Virginia Flake - Orlik Golden Sliced.

Escudo - Davidoff Flake Medallions.
Regards,

glwanabe

Lurker
Nov 23, 2013
Frog Morton Cellar- McClellands bulk 5110
SG Squadron Leader- HH House of Lords, McClellands Scottish Woods, Dunhill my mix 965

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
If you like Royal Yacht you will find the new Brigham Legend's Series Hudson's Bay to be similar. Brian Levine put me onto that wonderful new weed.
Pipestud

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm always intrigued when the online retailers add a list of "if you like this, you might like that's."

I have always assumed they do this statistically, lining up purchases of the subject tobacco with

other purchases by the same customer, but they don't claim to do that, so there's no guarantee.

They may just be pushing blends that aren't moving. If they use the stats, I bet the connections

are thin, two or three purchasers buying both brands, except in rare cases. I don't really want

very similar blends. Rather, I'm interested in a well-rounded rotation with somewhat different

blends. However, I sometimes do look into the recommended blends, to see how similar or

different they sound, and if they sound good in their own right. I've never bought anything on

that basis. (?) So it goes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
However, I'll play. If you like Dunhill MM 965, you will like Nat Sherman 536 as a slightly lower key,

somewhat more refined English blend. They play off each other nicely in rotation. You'll enjoy the

edgy blast of 965, then the smoother more refined 536.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
If you smoke Villiger Mid-Day 1888 you might enjoy Peterson's Luxury Blend. Luxury Blend is missing the Oriental/Turkish but side by side they appear identical and I am still not sure if I can tell a difference in the tin note. Mid-Day may have a little less bite but both need a touch of dry time to burn well.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Metarzan, you are spot on with that one. +1
If you like 1-Q you might like Ole Shenandoah Barrel No. 76.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dunhill 965 - P&C Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club Great Hiatus

P&C BlackHouse - PS Balkan Supreme

GLP Meridian - McClelland Yenidje Highlander

Penzance - GLP Quiet Nights

Dunhill Flake - Hamborger Veermaster

Not that they're alike in all aspects, but I would think that if you like Escudo, that you'll like Marlin Flake. The perique has the same level of tangy, peppery-ness.
And, if Virginia #1 appeals to you in the sweetness, Newminster's Luxury Flake takes that sweetness up a level, but in a more honey-like way.
If you like HH Old dark Fired, you might want to try Peter Stokkebye's Dark Fire. Its not a flake, but has a similar strong flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you like 1Q, you might also like Lane's LL-7, which is a little more flavored with vanilla/caramel, a little livelier.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And if you like CD Pegasus, you might like GLP Triple Play, both interesting, slightly

complex blends. And if you like Sutliff The Great Outdoors, you might like Altadis

Queen Anne's Revenge, both active, engaging aromatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.