If You Like Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What else should I try? I've been experimenting with Burleys and Burley blends. A number I have tried I just don't care for our find them mediocre. I find the Orlik DSK very smooth, sweet and pleasant. It is a bit mild. Harris recommended Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired RR. I like that quite a bit but I personally haven't found it to be that similar to Orlik.
My normal preferred tobaccos are Virginias and VaPers. I like all cuts but prefer flakes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mac Karen's HH Bold Kentucky should suit you as well. A bit stronger and more earthy than ODF, but in the same catagory.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Mac Baren Bold Kentucky

Solani Aged Burley Flake will be a must try for you.

Peterson Irish Flake
There will certainly be more suggestions, but these three above will give you a great introduction to strong, flavourful and satisfying Burley smokes.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Savinelli- Doblone d'Oro
This is a VaPers with Burleys and dark fired Kenyan leaf.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
As well those mentioned: Wessex Burley Slice/JackKnifePlug/HH Tobacco Nashville County / Solani Silver Flake

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Maybe try the other route and look for other licorice flavored blends.

Really the only other blend in the same SweetVaBur family to me is Stonehaven (made of pure, organic Unobtainium).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Some good suggestions for me to try, thanks. Have smoked the Jack knife plug and Solani Silver, liked them both, especially the Jack knife plug. The Wessex Burley slice didn't agree with me at all, I'll give it another go though.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake, some people say it’s the same exact blend as Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, but I believe that Peter Heinrich’s DSF has more anise in the topping, not too much, but slightly more than Orlik DSK.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
The classic european ... Forte, it's like serving Kentucky on bread :P It's a very strong blend, quite stronger than their toscano/garibaldi cigar counterparts.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Adding here few Italian Kentucky Blends,nonetheless They hardly accessible anywhere outside of the Italian borders:Comune Morbide, Italia Classic, and as Madox07 mentioned,Comune Forte

Next up, G&H Dark Flake.

All of these suggestions of Kentucky blends, where you can actually taste the tobacco, have you guys ever tried Dark Strong Kentucky? It's an aromatic, and it is neither strong nor dark in flavor. I definitely do not taste any smokey dark fired in there. If there is, they kill it with licorice. I think that the name of this one gives off a subliminal suggestion that this is a real tobacco, and people are hypnotized into tasting it... or else they've never tried it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, I have been smoking Astleys no 44 for a long time and have never tasted Licorice in any way shape or form. I get a sweet molasses kind of taste from it. Amazing how tastes can be so different.
I smoke Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and get some Licorice flavors with that one. I enjoy it when it has been aged a while.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, all of my Astleys 44 and 109 are 2012 and older. I have not smoked any of the newer stuff and don't plan to as I cellared both of the Astleys very deep with the 44 being a 6 to 1 ratio compared to the 109. I am currently smoking a bowl of 2012 no 44 and I can't get a hint of Licorice. Maybe my taste buds are just too dumb. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.