If you like ____ tobacco, you'll love ____ tobacco.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2018
As a relatively new (less than a year) pipe smoker, I'm still trying many different blends. I'd love to hear about tobacco you think is "good," but a similar blend you think is even "better." So, I'm really like Escudo Navy De Luxe, but you think I'd love _____.
Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't quite conform to your script because I can't calibrate which direction someone's taste might run. A person might like a dash of Perique but no more. So I might go at it this way: If you like burley in general, you will find many Cornell & Diehl blends with burley that you'll like (though perhaps not all, and some better than others). If you like Orlik Golden Slice, there's a fair chance you'll like Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. And if you like Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, you may very well like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. If you like one blend with cigar leaf, like Billy Budd, you may well like Key Largo. It's kind of a fun game, but as has been said before by me and others, it is difficult to predict what someone else will like. Three of my favorite English blends might not please other English blend smokers much at all. Make a game of studying the tobacco pages of online retailers, looking for the genres of blends you enjoy and compare constituent tobaccos, and see where that leads you.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 w/mso - If you can find a reviewer that also has the same type tastes that is your best path IMHO - I find that JimInks reviews to be solid for "my tastes". Now when I started this journey almost 10yrs ago I really wanted to try everything out there - think I made a small dent with over 100+ blends in the cellar but now find that I started to really focus in on what I really like.
My tastes;

I also really enjoy Escudo, so below are some of my likes for you to review online;
Escudo

Marlin Flake

GLP's JackKnife Plug, Triple Play, Key Largo, Haddo's

Dunhill Flake

C&D's Dreams of Kadath

SG's FVF, St James

Peterson's UF

Solani's 660, 633, 656

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I haven't tried Escudo, but I've tried Dunhills Navy Rolls and it seems everyone thinks they are almost identical. To my tastes, McConnell's Scottish Cake had some similarities to the Navy Rolls with a dash of dark fired on top. In the same vein I also really like Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd , and Marlin Flake.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Luxury Bullseye Flake

Acadian Perique

JackKnife Plug

Sixpence

Solani Silver Flake

Salty Dogs

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you like Escudo, you'll love Sixpence (what Duane said^).
TTN, tell us some others you "like" -- this could be fun, but it's easier to play this game if we have some starting points.

Jul 4, 2018
I'm also enjoying Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and PS Black Coffee.
On the other side, I'm not liking Orlik Golden Mixture. It starts off OK, but then it begins to have a tinlike flavor that hangs around to the end of the bowl.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you like Early Morning Pipe, you'll love Dunhill 965.
EMP is great in its own right, but if that appeals to you, you might like 965 even better -- I know I did when I first started smoking. But now, I'd probably choose Royal Yacht over either of them.
(In the spirit of things...) If you're not liking Orlik Golden Mixture, you might like Solani 633.
Solani 633 is a VaPer, but it's fairly bright and sweet -- it's sort of in the same realm, but gives a much cleaner, more natural flavor. One of my favorites starting out, anyhow.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Those are both great. However, Royal Yacht is totally different from EMP and 965. It's a VA blend with some kind of mild flavoring, and very strong in nicotine. Hope you enjoy them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A great Va/Per with a healthy shot of dark-fired is PC Russ O.'s Fire Storm, a nice change of pace for Va/Per smokers.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If you like Three Nuns (not the ORIGINAL original unicorn vaper, but the Va and Kentucky version), you’ll like Mac Baren Club Blend, particularly if you want a touch more sweetness

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you like a variety of burley blends and some single-leaf burley, there's a fair likelihood you'll like the Belgium burley variant Tabac-Manil Semois thick and/or medium cut. Another blend from them is Petit Robin, but that is a blend and milder, and shag cut, but you could like it too ... it's a little too mild for me. The thick and medium cut are single leaf. Be forewarned, the single-leaf comes in a foil package, very dry, and smells like stable sweepings.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I think Dunhill Navy Rolls are a slightly spicier version of Escudo, where Escudo is more sweet. If you enjoy Escudo, you might enjoy Dunhill Dark Flake or Peter Stokkebye bullseye flake. If you like Dunhill Nightcap you might really like GL Pease Maltese Falcon or Lagonda, though neither has Perique. Elizabethan and Dark Flake by Dunhill are two great vapers that really shine with 6+ months if age. GL Pease Fillmore is another great Vaper that is more on the full side. If you like strong tobaccos with Perique I also recommend Bayou Night and Bayou Morning Flake by C&D

Status
Not open for further replies.