PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Just finished a bowl of Frog Morton Cellar and the lingering smell in my mustache is absolutely fantastic. This "mustache note" is a thing that has to be experienced to be believed...even if you have to endure the funny looks while you go around smelling your upper lip.

Oct 8, 2013
Dresden, Ohio
I couldn't help but to just sniff mine. You're killing me. I hadn't thought to do this yet.....I'll be walkin around walmart looking like a billy goat on a hot date.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I had one for 12 years! I don't really miss it, although I've got a little bit of one going on right now, lol! I haven't shaved in a week or more, so I'm kinda scraggly right now.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I grew mine some 42 years ago when I started smoking pipes..WHY..I thought it would make me look cool smoking a pipe if I had a mustache.I have no idea if it really did.I've had it ever since though.As far a tobacco smell in it.That doesn't increase chances of my wife kissing me all that much..

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I usually only have a goatee but currently I've got a nice beard going... the wife prefers the beard. Since I began smoking cigars years ago I've noticed a mustache/beard note. I'll randomly during the day notice the stache note without even trying to smell it and its always nice. Its a nice reminder of the previous pipe or cigar. The wife however hates the stache note.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have a Klondike style 'goatee' and I get 'moustache notes' every time I smoke a bowl lol. I laughed when I saw this thread and I couldn't resist adding my .02 lol. Nice post captain! Don't forget for you non moustache wearing guys, Movember is coming up soon so get it started to show your support for prostate cancer!

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Man, I really wish I could grow a goatee again. Working at a refinery, I have to wear air masks, so I can only have a mustache. Doesn't really work for me, it always makes me itch. :wink:

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Smelling it on my moustache throughout the day only reminds me how much I would like to smoke again. I think the states should reconsider their no smoking in public buildings laws.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I've noticed it, but up until reading this post I hadn't really considered "moustache note". Hilarious.
But yes, Stig, the FMC 'stache note is the gift that keeps on giving.
I've worn either a goatee or beard for over 20 years, but decided to do the Movember thing in 2011. My poor upper lip did not know what to do with itself, and I couldn't grow back the 'stache fast enough. The beard, I think, is here to stay.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I liked my mustache in the Navy, since it was only recently permitted and irritated the old timers, to

all the younger mens' delight. Later, married, I had a mustache for years; yes, it retained pipe smoke

fragrance in a pleasing way. I felt it made me look forlorn, or more forlorn than otherwise. When I shaved

it off, my late wife didn't notice for weeks. I finally took her out to a nice place for an evening meal and asked

her if she noticed any change in my appearance. She guessed maybe I had had a haircut? I finally told her, to

our mutual amusement. Today, I think a beard or mustache would make me look absolutely antiquated. I

have a rather long face, and I'd look like a harshly old time Amish man.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Movember is a fundraising movement designed to generate $$ for prostate cancer research and awareness. Basically, Movember encourages individuals or teams to grow a moustache during the month of November, and to fundraise to support the cultivation of their 'stache.
I ran a team in 2011 and we had 13 gentlemen who together generated $13,000.00 in funds raised, and 13 horrible moustaches.
http://ca.movember.com/
-- Pat

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Just a reminder on names of beard styles too, all too often I see guys saying they are sporting a Goatee when in fact they are sporting a Van Dyke.

beard-styles.jpg

I rock out a full beard starting in late fall till close to the end of winter depending on the weather. Rest of the year I sport a Van Dyke.

Status
Not open for further replies.