PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Re-Buy your first pipe, meaning what you know now about pipes, what would be your first pipe purchase?
I thought it would be a fun topic to find out what pipes our members would buy as their first pipe...
I would buy a savinelli 320 rusticated. I like the big bowl and the stout size of the pipe, It feels great in my hand and with the big bowl size, it enhances whatever tobacco I'm smoking in it.
lets see what other members have to say!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Good topic!

My first pipe was a no name made in Italy bent billiard. While it was a good pipe if I could go back it would be a Peterson System.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
I would have bought my pipe sooner, much sooner!!
And gone straight to a Blatter (I'm lucky to have them in my city so I'm partial to buying directly from the guy who made it)
Now I wonder if they make 'made-to-measure' (like my suits)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I still smoke my first pipe. It's a no-name billiard that has only "made in england" stamped on the side. I got it on ebay for $15. It actually is a good smoker so I wouldn't change.
Edit: The one thing I would change is I would have picked up a pipe 25 years ago instead of nails.

Aug 1, 2012
My wife bought me my first pipe and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It is a "made in Italy" basket pipe and after it finally broke in it smokes very well. I think I would still be afraid of what might have happened if my misguided exuberance at early smoking had ruined a truly beautiful pipe.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My first pipe was a Savinelli.I later got rid of it because it was too heavy.I still have three Savinellis.I've had very good luck with them.If I had it to do over I would probably stick with what works for me.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
If money was no option I would get a storient pipe. Really any shape. If money was a little tighter it would be a savinelli 320 and finish. That little nosewarmer looks so comfortable.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I would've skipped the basket pipe, bought a few cobs, and spent the extra cash on a few different tobaccos so I wouldn't have waited until each pouch was done to try something new. (Yeah, I finished the Borkum Riff...) Then I would've probably went straight to a Pete or a Brigham.
Of course, I didn't have a great place like this to ask questions when I was starting out. No internet for me at the time.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
Well I haven't been smoking a pipe long but honestly of all the pipes I looked at that beautiful Tuesday afternoon, that one in the basket rack was mine as soon as I picked it up. Though I think I'm going to have to look at the selection again when I go back after work tomorrow for more tobacco.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
My first pipe was a no name made in Italy bent billiard. While it was a good pipe if I could go back it would be a Peterson System.
Same, right down to the bend. I don't think I would change anything, though. I learned how to smoke a pipe on that little cheapo, and it served me well. It didn't cost much, so the investment wouldn't have broken me. I would have hated to buy an expensive pipe, not knowing what I was doing, and be immediately turned off strictly because of my own lack of experience

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It was about 1965, and I bought a Medico bulldog from the corner drugstore. I smoked that pipe all the time;

and after about 2 yrs. I burned it out. I was dumb enough to smoke it outdoors on a cold and windy day.

Stupid mistake -- the wind-stoked ember burned right through the bottom of the bowl, and my hands were too cold

to sense the impending disaster. I loved that pipe; but I'm glad I made my mistakes with a Medico, and not a Castello. :puffy:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My first briar was a Willard, a small apple. If I had it to do over I'd move up to a Grabow. A Viscount or Emperor,maybe a royalton? :lol: I still have the Willard,only now it's a tamper.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The only thing I would have done differently is not put the damn filter in. My first pipe was a Grabow with a paper filter and dropping the filter is probably why I stuck with pipe smoking. The draw is too hard, it kept the temp in the bowl too high, which meant constant tongue burn, as well as less flavor.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Knowing what I do now... probably not. But, then again I would have ruined the excitement of choosing the pipe that appealed to me. When your that age, the heart rules, and the cold light of reason may have diminished the moment.

I too still smoke my first pipe on occasion. The stem shape is awkward, (it definitely not a clincher) and it's a bit to short and heavy, but smokes very well.

No, I don't think I'd change a thing... You know you'll always have a soft spot for your first love.
Royal Coachman

my1st-1-600x450.jpg

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
my first pipe was a pete and it is still my favorite smoker i would do the exact same however the accompanying tobacco would be different

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
My first pipe was a Jost's Canadian that I bought around '82. I still have it and still smoke it often. It has served me well and smokes great, so I wouldn't change a thing.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Yep. Its a no name basket pipe that smokes cool and has sentimental value. It was my gateway to something that is way bigger than just blowing smoke. Pipe smoking has raised the bar in my life. I listen to you good people and do what you do, and I grow. Again, this hobby is a lot more than just blowing smoke....

Status
Not open for further replies.