PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I haven't met any of you on the forum and am just curious how many of you are or have Been A Pipe Maker Or Owned A Pipe Shop. I don't care if you have only made one pipe or a thousand or if your shop was open a year or 50. It would be cool to see who among us have made this hobby a job and/or made a piece of art. If you don't feel comfortable sharing don't worry about it.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have carved a Meer before but thats it.

I have been wanting, for years now, to start carving pipes.... Ive been designing and making high end custom furniture for a living for the past 5-6 years... problem is since I jumped ship into this field there has been NO MONEY... but Ive set a goal to start by the beginning of the year.
FYI... I work for a family business thats been around for almost 20 years, my mother is the one who started the company, 5-6 years ago I resigned from Wells Fargo as a portfolio manager (after 15 years) and came back to CA to help out... so I have access to a 16,000 sqft carpentry shop... I just need to get my hands on some pipe making specific tools and of course Briar... lots and lots of Briar.
THIS WILL HAPPEN! :D
EDIT: I have a sketch pad filled with pipe designs that I have drawn out over the last 15 or so years :)

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Captainprophesy, Get some good briar. Stuff from Italy or something like that. You will get beautiful pipes but more important they will be good smokers. I would love to see some of your furniture.
Good stuff and yes smoker49 I want to include people who make pipe accessories. Are your boxes for individual pipes or like a pipe rack? I made my own pipe rack. It turned out pretty good.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I started making pipes when my oldest was a little guy. I have expensive taste and I saw so many pipes that I could'nt afford. So i bought a kit from PIMO and i carved the shape I wanted but had no budget for. A few years later I met John Calich through our pipe club and he took me under his wing. I no carve three or four per year either for friends or just because I see a shape I like and don't have. Don't see it ever being a business i'm sure there are enough good carvers out there that they don't need me mudding the waters. I now run a good sized contracting company and would'nt have time if I wanted too.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Irish, one day I want to try carving a cabinet. I have never used a router and I think it could be fun.
Piperl12, It takes some talent to carve pipes. Do you cut your own stems?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
@Piperl12... thats pretty much my story as well... I cant afford what I like so I want to make it myself... I want to make some really nice pipes for both myself and friends for say Xmas type of things... My plan is not to make a business out of it but more for a primary hobby to get what I like for a fraction of the cost... I have soo many designs it's not even funny... but who knows what life has in store for us. :)
I would love to see some of your pipes that you've made if possible.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
What you are about to see will blow you away!
I'm NOT KIDDING!
And I made it myself!!!
557347_10151062321393585_1012986593_n1_zps40c15a56.jpg

You guys think I should set up a business selling this AMAZING artisanship???

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
If they are cheap I actually think you could sell those lol. Pipe racks are very expensive.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Many here know me and know I make the occasional pipe. Been known to make a tamper or two as well. I even ventured into making pipe racks and cabinets as well. I did make some decent racks and cabinets but just didn't enjoy it as much as pipe and tamper making.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Smokindawg makes some great stuff if you haven't seen it. I don't know if you have a website but you need one.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Kris that is awesome, but why would you keep them in that particular spot? 8O

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Hey guys, yep I cut my own stems because I prefer a thinner bit it just works out better that way I find. I will take some pics and post them if you like they say necessity is the mother of all invention. I say moter of invention is a frugle wife that manages the money! LOL

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
ghost That's my smoking spot in the front porch...
I like everything within easy reach... :D

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I would love to see them. I would start a new thread though so everybody will see them. I want to learn how to make my own stems. I have three pipe bowls without stems sitting on the rack.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Kris- Aha, I see. Just worried about that door opening.
I want to learn how to make my own stems. I have three pipe bowls without stems sitting on the rack.
I would eagerly lurk in that thread, as I have some orphan bowls as well.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Pipe maker in the winter time. Get caught up in things that MAKE money when the weather's better.
photoman, making stems isn't especially super hard. You need to solve one basic problem, and that is how to size a tenon to a mortise. Lathe, drill press, or tenon-cutter could all be used. Once you crack that, sky's the limit.
I like making nice pipes and then taking horrible pictures of them.
EZ003.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Wow that is a nice pipe. One of you guys should make a youtube video on how to cut stems. Oh and how much would the necessary tools cost?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Sasquatch... very nice... but maybe you can invest the money you make off of those to buy a light? :rofl: .... but seriously... very nice, brother. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.