If You Are Buying McClelland on the Secondary Market, You Might Get Rooked!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
I posted up in the TAD thread about a week ago and mentioned the loose labels on all of the 2018 40th anniversary tins. This seems to be a thing, as all of mine have them. Personally I don't care one way or the other. I bought mine from SP, not some shady person on Ebay, and I never plan to sell them, and I don't need to buy any more. But, if you are buying tins of 40th on the secondary market, you should be aware that the '18 40th labels slip right on and off, AND I have been hearing other people complaining about this happening with other McC blends tinned in 100g tins in 2018. So, it stands to reason that some people are going to be switching them around and screwing people. The bottom of 40th just has the date. No batch or blend code like the olden days. But, I did notice some stampings on the side of the tin, once I slipped the label off. Perhaps this numbering is blend-specific. So, if anyone else is concerned, you might want to start documenting any blends that have these loose labels and posting up the codes on the sides to see if it gives a definitive way for people to tell what is really inside. Again, I am not complaining about this, and I personally don't care that it happened, since my 40th is staying with me forever, and I probably have enough to last me. I figured that some of you might want to follow up on this though, to see what could be determined by those numbers on the side, if anything. If you have any '18 100g tins of anything McClelland with loose labels, it might be interesting to post up what you have, and what numbers are underneath the labels. I have only noticed this on my '18 tins of 40th, and I have heard others complaining about this happening to their 100g tins of other McC blends.
Normal:

38789550210_816cee7fca.jpg

Upside down. That's fun!

40557148582_6b22413af0.jpg

Nekkid!

38789550080_eae0e67a23.jpg

Blend code? Who knows?

40557148452_94ea51000a.jpg

Don't get rooked!
:puffy:

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Not that I need to concern myself with this as my stock of MC is for my use only, but nice to know. Thanks

Oct 7, 2016
Never seen or paid any attention to this numbers on the side of the can, they key numbers are stamped in ink on the bottom. Those have the blend number and year. The ones shown might be relevant to McClelland or relevant to the tin container manufacturer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With McClellands having announced ending production, and Dunhill fast on their heels it seems, there's room for a lot of mischief. Swapping labels, filling old tins with inexpensive bulk or bag leaf, etc. etc. The places that depend on return business are generally safe, like our sponsors.

Jun 27, 2016
oldgeezersmoker

...they key numbers are stamped in ink on the bottom. Those have the blend number and year.
They used to do it like that. Tins of 2018 40th just say "2018" on the bottom. Not sure what is on the bottom of the 2017 40th since I have not checked, but they don't have the loose labels. The first time that I posted about this in the TAD thread a number of days ago, I was joking around about it, but I also thought that it was only limited to new 40th. Then I read at least one post elsewhere on the internet complaining about loose labels on another new McC 100g tinned blend, and I started to think a couple days ago that it could actually be a problem if someone wanted to easily switch labels around for whatever reason. If most or all of the 2018 100g tins just have the year and loose labels, then there is more room for shenanigans. Probably not going to be an issue most of the time, but I would not be surprised if I read about it happening in the future.
mso489

...filling old tins with inexpensive bulk or bag leaf, etc. etc.
Well, that might be getting a little carried away mso =) , I'm not sure how that could even be done. Honestly, I'm probably getting carried away here myself. But I agree with your second point. I am not worried about any real tobacco retailers switching labels. I'm primarily concerned for people buying on the secondary market, especially Ebay, since people are "only buying on there for the collectible empty metal tin and the collectible paper label", which they would have received. Customer complains to Ebay and Ebay might shut down the seller for moving actual tobacco, but I doubt that Ebay would give the buyer a refund for receiving the wrong tobacco, since they would have received the correct label for their "empty tin and label collection".

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Not sure what is on the bottom of the 2017 40th since I have not checked, but they don't have the loose labels.
I got 40th from two different etailers. From one, they were only stamped, "2018" on the bottom. From the other, they were only stamped, "2017." Loose labels on all from 2018, and no issue with 2017 labels. The 2018's also were not cropped on the bottom of the labels.

Jun 27, 2016
Out of curiosity, I just checked my '17 40th tins, and they say "2017" on the bottom. The label seemed to be affixed to the tin with glue, but I was still able to pop it off and replace it without damage, and there were no numbers at all on the side of that tin. It was still a tighter fit than the '18 labels. The '18 40th labels just slide right off, which might give bad people bad ideas.

Jun 27, 2016
If anyone has McC 100g tins from 2017 and 2018 that are not 40th Anniversary, please report back with what is on the bottom. I've basically been buying 40th and nothing else lately, or I would check myself. I have a 100g tin of newer #27, but it's packed away in my closet somewhere already. Perhaps 40th is only getting "2017" and "2018" on the bottom since it was a limited edition blend, and the regular blends still have more info. I want to say that there is less info on the newer blends. That tin of Latakia above has "91 2017" printed on the bottom, which sounds like a blend number and year. I want to say that I have newer 50g tins of Yenidje Highlander from 2016 or 2017 that only have the year on the bottom, but I would have to check on that and could be mistaken. Maybe there still is a way to discern 2017 and 2018 40th from other blends, if all of the others besides the 40th are getting a blend number or anything else stamped on the bottom, in addition to the year. :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would be wiling to bet people are already sliding off those 40th Anny labels and are placing them on tins that are not 40th. I predict there is going to be a lot of that going on once the scumbags figure it out. The people buying these tins will probably not figure it out for years as they put them in their cellars to age.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Now that I think more about it, the people who go on redit and facebook should post warnings about this. You can probably kill the entire flipping market by making people understand that they have no idea if they are actually getting 40th tobacco unless they open the tins immediately. Also tell people that anyone who buys off of ebay has no recourse if they get fake tins. This might really stick it to the flippers who were planning on making a killing. No?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Maybe I'm naive, but this sounds like speculation with zero evidence other than a crappy label.
Seriously, what kind of killing could this "rebranding" really lead too?
How utterly bizarre.

May 4, 2015
If there were such profit in counterfeit tobacco, I'd think it would be happening already. With modern printers it's not difficult to accurately recreate any label and stick it on a tin of anything.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Oh God. The incessant bickering over secondary price increases has already begun on FB and the last thing we need is to add the possibility of fraud to the fire, lol!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not on social media so I have no idea what goes on except what I hear through pipe sites like this. When there is a way to cheat people I have found there will always be some who look to take advantage of the uninitiated. I saw it for years when I was in the cigar world and fake Cubans were everywhere. Trust me, there will be people taking off their 40th labels and putting them on other blends. To think it is not going to happen is kind of naive.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Harris, this is where preparation pays off. I read the posts and saw this coming. I haven't purchased tobacco in over a year. I have plenty to last me 40 years. I'm 54.
Granted a sucker and his money will soon be parted, and I'm fortunate to not be in the market.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just for giggles I checked my 2017 tins and the labels slide around on them as well. Cool! All I need to do is save them when I finish a tin and slip them onto my tins of 1992 Christmas Cheer.
Oh...
wait...
Honestly this seems a bit farfetched. You would need to have other cheap blends tinned in the same tins that McClelland uses. Who else uses the same shaped tin?

Status
Not open for further replies.