Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

If there is a tobacco God, I am definitely blessed this weekend.

(19 posts)
  1. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If there is a tobacco God, I am definitely blessed by him (or her) this weekend.
    In a conversation with an older instrument maker, I found out that his deceased father is a pipe smoker. And then he told out these 'tins' which he peeled off the seal labels to make them look better.

I don't think anyone in my real life (with no well-seasoned pipe smoking friend) can understand my excitement about this, nor I can effectively share it with them, except in this virtual pipe club in the cyber-space.

Content are all untouched. Although some of them might have dried out because of the seals became ineffective after 20+ years, at least I can now experience or re-experience some of these 'over-hyped' taste.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. beastkhk

beastkhk

Login to Send PM

Nice! And some Early Morning Pipe which I think you were looking for earlier.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want the pics man!

Beast can you see them?

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes you are Blessed

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@beastkhk
    Yes! I think perhaps the tobacco God heard my prayers.

@mcitinner1
    I use Firefox, and the link may only work in a more Mozilla compatible browser.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

VERY nice!

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes! I think perhaps the tobacco God heard my prayers. [:worship:]

And smiled upon you my friend. Congrats sir.

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Pretty amazing. Actual Balkan Sobranie that was made by Sobranie. What's overhyped is the new Balkan Sobranie reissue.
    If it's dried out you can rehydrate with distilled water and toweling. There's been a lot of discussion on this forum and a search will give you useful information in that direction. But depending on what's inside the tins, you may find something very mellow or something that has significantly faded. Rehydration can sometimes bring back some, not all, but some, of what was lost. 40+ year old latakia blends are going to be much less pungent. Latakia loses some of its pungency over time. All that said, you may have some wonderful stuff there. Congratulations!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, anointed one, be sure to give us a report on your journeys through these classic, no longer available blends. You have access to a time machine here.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. joshb83

joshb83

Login to Send PM

Wow, some of those, I've only heard and read about. Make sure you let us know how they work for you:)

"If you can't send money, send tobacco."
    -George Washington to the Continental Congress, 1776
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All this fuss over the Dunhill and the Smoking Mixture. You are missing the holy grail. That little tin of Virginia no.10 is going to be as smooth and tasty as a 1955 Glenfiddach. Great score menuhin!

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is truly amazing and stokes the imagination as to how much more there is in the way of "finds" in the pipe smoking world. It offers a little hope for anyone seeking the pleasure of some vintage smoking joy. Be sure to share that with your friends and keep that karma alive! That EMP is probably tastes like pink Unicorn farts! Sweet and delicious!

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You have indeed been blessed. Savor those tobaccos.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are blessed, brother.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks all of you replied and those reading in the forum for letting me share my excitement.

@peteguy
    That tin Virginia no. 10 sounds very interesting - it reads "With Choicest Cigar Leaf"

@settersbrace
    In my local small circle pipe meeting, I always share and will definitely share the tobacco when I open my tins and keep this karma going.

I will definitely report at some point after I have finally opened them and re-hydrated them, but I have to be really careful this time - I remember my first or second post on the forum was about me making my favorite tobacco all moldy and not smokable anymore.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy crap!

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. loneredtree

loneredtree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! Those tins look like they are painted, like before sticker labels. When you finish the contents, if you do not want them, let me know. Especially the EMP tin. I am sorry that I tossed mine in the last move.

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  18. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Enjoy them; then tell us how wonderful they are. We will cry at your good fortune and cheer your good luck.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  19. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What an amazing assortment of vintage tins!
    Please let us know how you enjoyed them.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   willyspiper, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud, pitchfork, prndl